Noro on Caribbean Princess, again

frankdp

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

Why not let Princess pay to put you up in Fort Lauderdale near Florida's Turnpike that night and drive the 4 hours to Orlando the next morning?  If you're going to Epcot, things don't really open up until after 11:30 or so anyway...

We will do this if we can't add a night to our Orlando hotel at a decent rate. Have to see what the TA can do for us--if I can ever use the dam phone. We are going to Universal, so want to get there early and stand in Harry Potter lines 😉

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

We will do this if we can't add a night to our Orlando hotel at a decent rate. Have to see what the TA can do for us--if I can ever use the dam phone. We are going to Universal, so want to get there early and stand in Harry Potter lines 😉

Good luck! 🙂 Keep that great attitude! 🙂

Caribbean Princess had noro outbreak during her last trip and had to cut the trip short. After cleaning, this current voyage also has another outbreak.

It is strange that after thorough cleaning, the bug was still there. Is it unprecedented or It can happen often?

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/os-ne-princess-cruises-stomach-bug-outbreak-second-time-20200227-fpecmvcrcjd4bbtvk5hezynz5y-story.html

I have seen it occur over several consecutive sailings.  It is a really hard bug to kill unfortunately. Best advice is to keep washing your hands, keep your hands off railings, walls, elevator buttons, chairs and always only use the bathroom in your cabin.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, quakershaker said:

I just got an email saying Caribbean Princess is delayed for departure on Sunday March 1 to allow for additional sanitation. Guests are being asked not to arrive at terminal before 3 PM. The terminal will not be opened before 3 and no services will be available. 

I don't believe that for 1 minute. 

15 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I have seen it occur over several consecutive sailings.  It is a really hard bug to kill unfortunately. Best advice is to keep washing your hands, keep your hands off railings, walls, elevator buttons, chairs and always only use the bathroom in your cabin.

It's not, really.  It is difficult to kill on humans, but the agents used on the ships to fog hard and soft surfaces does a very good job of killing noro.  What is important to look at when dealing with a multiple cruise outbreak, and something that is not available to the public, is the trend of cases, not just the raw number of cases, throughout the cruise.  If the trend of new cases drops towards the end of the cruise, but then does a quick spike up again after the new cruise starts, CDC has found that this indicates that a new "patient zero" has started a new infection, and nothing the deep cleaning done before that passenger arrived has any benefit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Nn2036 said:

Caribbean Princess had noro outbreak during her last trip and had to cut the trip short. After cleaning, this current voyage also has another outbreak.

It is strange that after thorough cleaning, the bug was still there. Is it unprecedented or It can happen often?

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/os-ne-princess-cruises-stomach-bug-outbreak-second-time-20200227-fpecmvcrcjd4bbtvk5hezynz5y-story.html

If some crew members had it late in the first sailing then that would be an easy way for it to go from one sailing to the next.  Or if any passengers were doing back-to-backs.   Cleaning the ship only does so much, unless they replace all of the crew and passengers there's a non-zero chance that it could carry over to the next sailing via a person.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Why?

Because if the terminal is closed until 3 PM they'll never get the people loaded in time for the 4 PM sailing. They have never had the terminal closed on the day a ship sails and I seriously doubt if this would be the first time no matter what they said. 

If you feel comfortable arriving at 3 PM then do it and let us know how thing worked out for you. 95 % of the people will already be on board & you should sail through check in. 

25 minutes ago, voljeep said:

yep, that's set in stone … so no way to change that for a complete terminal cleaning ...

Unreal! What would you want to cruise on? A ship that is still infected to allow people to board on time or after the ship is fully clean! Again; can't please all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If you feel comfortable arriving at 3 PM then do it and let us know how thing worked out for you. 95 % of the people will already be on board & you should sail through check in. 

I'm not on the ship (but will be in June).  If told that the ship and terminal were undergoing a deep cleaning and wouldn't open until 3 pm I would wait until then rather than standing outside in the Florida heat.  I don't know why you think that departure times can't be changed.  They can and do and any newbies reading your response will be misled.  We've departed hours late from Port Everglades when our ship had inspections returning from more than 6 months outside the US and when a number of passengers with Princess Air were late arriving at FLL. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I don't know why you think that departure times can't be changed.  They can and do and any newbies reading your response will be misled.  We've departed hours late from Port Everglades when our ship had inspections returning from more than 6 months outside the US and when a number of passengers with Princess Air were late arriving at FLL. 

Good call - Post #116 from quakershaker shows all aboard at 5PM for a 6PM departure for that sailing; not 4PM as originally scheduled.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

I'm not on the ship (but will be in June).  If told that the ship and terminal were undergoing a deep cleaning and wouldn't open until 3 pm I would wait until then rather than standing outside in the Florida heat.  I don't know why you think that departure times can't be changed.  They can and do and any newbies reading your response will be misled.  We've departed hours late from Port Everglades when our ship had inspections returning from more than 6 months outside the US and when a number of passengers with Princess Air were late arriving at FLL. 

Obviously I'm not the authority in setting the time the terminal opens so people should make their own decision as to when they arrive. If their flying in the day of the cruise there's not much choice where to wait anyway, the air terminal or the ships terminal.

Your choice. 

We shall see what time it does open. 

"It's the second consecutive sailing on that ship in which passengers and crew fell sick.

This time, Caribbean Princess reported at least 228 passengers and 17 crew members suffering from a stomach bug during its 14-day voyage, which was shortened by a day due to the outbreak."

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/02/29/cruise-ship-returns-to-port-everglades-early-after-hundreds-of-passengers-fall-ill/

(Actually - an intestinal virus, which could be Noro.)

Edited by arabrab

On 2/22/2020 at 5:28 PM, frankdp said:

I am the wife of the person who started this thread. We came onboard with peroxide wipes and immediately wiped our cabin down when we entered. We have never used a public restroom on board, never even set food in the buffet, used our knuckles on every button, washed our hands with soap continuously and used sanitizing gel at every opportunity and still he got the virus. We did not fly to Ft Lauderdale we drove. Princess’s crew is continually sanitizing every part of the ship so I really don’t know what the answer is on how to avoid getting sick other passengers MUST take responsibility for themselves and follow all directions of the crew. And, if you get sick REPORT IT and stay in your cabin until you are allowed to leave. Do not be selfish and only think of yourself....there are a lot of people on board who do not want to get sick because you didn’t follow orders.

Amen!!   I know for a fact that many don't report it because they don't want to be confined to their cabins, so they continue to spread it....very very selfish!  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gtmerc said:

If noro was on two back to back cruises wouldn’t that mean it is the staff who is passing it around?

If it was the crew, the outbreak would continue cruise after cruise for the length of the crew member's contract, since that crew member's hand sanitation would not change from one cruise to the next.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 12:36 PM, MissP22 said:

.... They have never had the terminal closed on the day a ship sails and I seriously doubt if this would be the first time no matter what they said....

It absolutely does happen when necessary - we've seen it happen in Bayonne and San Pedro.    Those who insisted on arriving earlier spent hours lined up on the sidewalks outside.   

On 2/22/2020 at 6:08 PM, Daniel A said:

Most health departments emphasize that one does not get Norovirus from someone coughing or sneezing.  Noro is contracted by touching a contaminated surface with your hands and then placing your now contaminated hands in your mouth.  One of the best preventative techniques in addition to the other very good precautions (frequent hand washing, avoiding contact with handrails, door handles, elevator buttons etc...) is to be conscious all the time about placing your fingers in your mouth. Norovirus is consumed orally by the victim. 

Regarding the bit I highlighted in purple:  I absolutely agree, but I go a bit further to protect myself.  I press elevator buttons only with my elbow or my pinky finger knuckle. I am fastidious about never touching my mouth, eyes, nose or ears with my fingers while on a cruise. If I must touch my face, then I first use one of my individually wrapped Wet Ones wipes that I carry in my purse. I use the public restrooms but always scrub my hands vigorously with soap for 20 seconds and then rinse well with warm water.  I even eat my sandwiches from the International Cafe with a knife and fork.  One final thought:  I was on the 2/2/20 sailing of Regal Princess and I was shocked at the number of women who exited the public restrooms after doing only a VERY cursory "washing" of their hands or not washing them at all!  I even had one woman who gave me the "stink-eye" complete with a few huffs and puffs, I guess, because she thought I was taking to long to wash my hands and she was next in line for the sink I was using.  With fellow passengers like that, no wonder people get sick.  And no wonder why I go to the great lengths I go to in order to remain healthy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oncruisecontrol said:

Regarding the bit I highlighted in purple:  I absolutely agree, but I go a bit further to protect myself.  I press elevator buttons only with my elbow or my pinky finger knuckle. I am fastidious about never touching my mouth, eyes, nose or ears with my fingers while on a cruise. If I must touch my face, then I first use one of my individually wrapped Wet Ones wipes that I carry in my purse. I use the public restrooms but always scrub my hands vigorously with soap for 20 seconds and then rinse well with warm water.  I even eat my sandwiches from the International Cafe with a knife and fork.  One final thought:  I was on the 2/2/20 sailing of Regal Princess and I was shocked at the number of women who exited the public restrooms after doing only a VERY cursory "washing" of their hands or not washing them at all!  I even had one woman who gave me the "stink-eye" complete with a few huffs and puffs, I guess, because she thought I was taking to long to wash my hands and she was next in line for the sink I was using.  With fellow passengers like that, no wonder people get sick.  And no wonder why I go to the great lengths I go to in order to remain healthy.

This is not new.

You should have followed them as they entered the buffet line picking up the shrimp with their fingers and dipping them in the communal cocktail sauce eating them along the way.

Happens all the time........