Booking directly with Princess?

subaru94

For years I booked directly with Princess, but the last few I have used a travel agent to get the additional perks and OBC.  I much preferred doing it myself and feel an agent is just an impediment rather than an aid.   Not sure than the extra amount from the agent, which often can be considerable, is worth the hassle.

• Like 4

We sometimes book with a TA that offers a 3 day sale in June that includes grats and PBP as well as a modest amount of OBC, usually about $50 or so.  Most often we book direct with Princess and then shop around for the best TA transfer we can find.  Lately the winner has often been a big box store that is giving us almost 8% in OBC or a shop card plus an extra 3% by using their branded executive member credit card.

At the end of the day, using a TA or not depends on what one is comfortable with and what is important to one.

• Like 1

I use a Princess vacation planner, although I do all of the planning myself. I like specific cabins, and he is able to book "my cabin" for me even when it is not showing available. If there is a problem, I like to have someone with Princess on my side. Also, if there is a specific deal going on for TA's, I just give him the code and I get the deal. He also has been able to book EZair on flights that do not show up for me. I had used a TA in the past, but feel I get better service with my Princess planner.

• Like 3

I always used to book directly through Princess. Just in the last year I have used a big box TA to book 3 cruise, 1 with Princess and 2 with another cruise line because of the gift cards offered by the TA. I watch for price-drops myself a have already called my TA once to get a price reduction. When I booked through Princess I had to watch for price drops myself so I feel like it isn't any different.

• Like 2

We also have booked directly with Princess for many years and have been very happy with our results. But, I must say out of the gate that we have discovered through experience that, while price is an important factor, control is even more important to us.  We've used TAs for some vacations, including cruises - and even have friends who are TAs - but, while some of the experiences have been good, some have been very bad.  We were contacted by an AMAZING Princess Vacation Planner after our 4th cruise, and we were hooked. He was eventually promoted, and we're now with another WONDERFUL Princess Vacation Planner.  They have helped us get some good rates, take the best advantage of promotions, have helped us rebook to take advantage of price drops, have helped us make sure our "no upgrade" request is honored, etc.

But, I'm also one who prefers to book my own air, rental cars, hotels, private excursions, etc. (friends come to ME for help with these things, I've become so proficient at it.) 😉   And I confess I enjoy putting together the puzzle of all these elements for a trip, and looking for the best prices that fulfill our other needs. 

I think it's depends on what's important to an individual traveller. I understand that for some the price may be the most important factor, for others having a professional available handle the details may be compelling, and for others still - like us - having direct control is very important.  I think you have to figure out which combination of these factors is most important to you. I don't think there is a "wrong answer".  

Best of luck and happy cruising!

• Like 3

Sheesh... 17 hours ago I posted in this thread about probably using our regular TA the next time we book cruises. I just sent him a note about 2 new cruises I put on hold today. We already have the B2B2B booked for this October/November and now I've booked a 7 day Western Caribbean followed by an 18 day Fire & Ice Explorer for May of 2021. I don't know what sort of discount he'll offer but I'm sure I will be pleased. We booked both cruises under the BSE. The only downside is that the 18 day cruise is on Island which is my least favorite Princess ship. I wouldn't book that ship but it's the one that goes where my wife wants to go so I'll just make the best of things. 18 days with no IC and no Vines though...

22 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Sheesh... 17 hours ago I posted in this thread about probably using our regular TA the next time we book cruises. I just sent him a note about 2 new cruises I put on hold today. We already have the B2B2B booked for this October/November and now I've booked a 7 day Western Caribbean followed by an 18 day Fire & Ice Explorer for May of 2021. I don't know what sort of discount he'll offer but I'm sure I will be pleased. We booked both cruises under the BSE. The only downside is that the 18 day cruise is on Island which is my least favorite Princess ship. I wouldn't book that ship but it's the one that goes where my wife wants to go so I'll just make the best of things. 18 days with no IC and no Vines though...

And you told me you didn't cruise much.

• Haha 1

Our cruise planner from Princess got us Vista Suite for just a bit more than a mini suite even though on the website much higher.  On more expensive lines I always go through an agent and get great discounts and also onboard credit and got the suite I wanted even though the cruise line told us there were none left.   So with Princess I go through their cruise rep.

10 hours ago, Laurie S. said:

I always have booked all my cruises myself online with the cruiseline.  I used to transfer them to my travel agent afterwards but stopped when I accidently was sent paperwork showing she was getting more than $200 commission and she didn't give me even a bottle of wine.  

I understand, we use to transfer to a TA  some years ago, bought travel insurance thru TA.  It became apparent the TA took credit for the OBC Princess was giving us, which we knew we would have gotten with out the TA... the finally straw was when the travel insurance she was selling doubled, when I questioned it she said it was due to OBAMA care... which I doubted.  After that I called the Travel Ins company my self directly, got an annual business plan and cut the TA out entirely... did not need the TA.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, subaru94 said:

I think we are treated differently here in Australia to overseas, America, England and Canada seem to get really good deals with price drops etc. Can't believe you only got $100 OBC for a $20 000 plus booking, very poor.  Hmm you are making me think perhaps Travel Agent.

I agree, I think we get really shitty service here in Australia.  Even for an non-Australian cruise the prices are way higher than they seem to be for those buying in the US market; OBC is very rare - on my recent booking (a suite for Alaska) no OBC at all AND they couldn't get Princess to accept my future cruise deposit (which is still tied up in the Japan cruise that was cancelled and which still has not been refunded or removed from my cruise personaliser) so not even any OBC from Princess.  And we never get these great deals that the Americans etc seem to get - this 3 for free deal does not apply here.  I am so tired of hearing 'that promotion does not apply to the Australian market" - It would make sense if it was an Australian cruise but not when its elsewhere.  The regional discrimination really pisses me off.

Edited by trinitygirl

2 hours ago, trinitygirl said:

I agree, I think we get really shitty service here in Australia.  Even for an non-Australian cruise the prices are way higher than they seem to be for those buying in the US market; OBC is very rare - on my recent booking (a suite for Alaska) no OBC at all AND they couldn't get Princess to accept my future cruise deposit (which is still tied up in the Japan cruise that was cancelled and which still has not been refunded or removed from my cruise personaliser) so not even any OBC from Princess.  And we never get these great deals that the Americans etc seem to get - this 3 for free deal does not apply here.  I am so tired of hearing 'that promotion does not apply to the Australian market" - It would make sense if it was an Australian cruise but not when its elsewhere.  The regional discrimination really pisses me off.

I couldn't agree more and it's been a gripe of mine for a few years. I was amazed that the Oceans of Offers sale (similar to the Best Sale Ever elsewhere) was offered here and that it included beverages. That is the first time I am aware that Princess have offered that down here and it is good value. I had beverages and unlimited net added for $30 pp per day which is great value for us. Let's hope that is the start of a more fair arrangement for non US passengers. 

Edited by leck57

3 hours ago, trinitygirl said:

Yes agree with you, what was really weird we booked a cruise for next year Vancouver to Japan, when I checked credit I noticed we had onboard credit I then realised it was a future cruise deposit, they automatically did it, I had totally forgotten I had one, go figure, that has never happened before.

I use a TA who has a small office in her home but also part of a large online group, has group rates.  I like being able to talk to the same person plus #1 seller for Princess.  I check what I'm interested in, tell her, price is always better than what Princess has.  I've been with her for 20 years, don't see changing anytime soon.

17 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

We also have booked directly with Princess for many years and have been very happy with our results. But, I must say out of the gate that we have discovered through experience that, while price is an important factor, control is even more important to us. 

Can you explain  how booking directly with Princess increases your control over your booking. I've done it both ways and haven't seen a difference between the two.

completely TA dependent, I'm guessing … how knowledgeable they are of Princess 

timeliness of forwarded emails for upgrades, upsells, move-overs … ability and willingness to re-fare even after final and after the TA has received a commission payment

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

And you told me you didn't cruise much.

Well... I'm guessing you have more cruises in the past 3 years than we have in total. There are degrees of cruising. I know people who consider taking one cruise a lot or taking a total of 3 cruises as crazy cruising.  We have only actually completed 14 cruises with the 14th being our first as Elite. We do have 3 booked this winter and the 2 new cruises booked for 2011 but, compared to many people, we really haven't cruised a lot. I do have to admit that we are cruising far more than I had ever imagined would be the case. (We also take a 4 or 5 week camping trip every year - the longest has been 7 weeks -  to supplement our cruise travel.) I didn't qualify for a big pension but I have to admit that, so far at least, retirement has been good. 😎

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Can you explain  how booking directly with Princess increases your control over your booking. I've done it both ways and haven't seen a difference between the two.

I used to carry all of my own bookings until just before final payment. I kept track of price changes, etc. and had total control of my booking. I only transferred it at the end as the TA would then discount the price. I did the "work", he got a commission, and I got a discount. It worked out all around. These days I have to transfer the cruise to the TA within 60 days of booking so I no longer have direct control of the booking. I do still get a discount though.

I sent email to my TA last night with info regarding the two new cruises we just put on hold. He called this morning and did a 3-way with Princess to confirm I wanted to use FCDs for the deposit. (I could have done it myself initially but just put the bookings on hold while my wife and I discussed whether or not to actually book the cruises. After that one loses the ability to use FCD online.) I confirmed that I wanted to use FCDs for the the deposits. The TA asked if I would like him to "drop by" with the Transfer Forms (they need to be physically signed) and I said he could just email them. I'll print them out, sign them, scan them and then send them back to the TA. He will forward them to Princess. (Yes, I could have sent them directly but I wanted him to have a signed copy anyway so it was easiest to just send them to him and have him send them on to Princess.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I used to carry all of my own bookings until just before final payment. I kept track of price changes, etc. and had total control of my booking. I only transferred it at the end as the TA would then discount the price. I did the "work", he got a commission, and I got a discount. It worked out all around. These days I have to transfer the cruise to the TA within 60 days of booking so I no longer have direct control of the booking. I do still get a discount though.

I sent email to my TA last night with info regarding the two new cruises we just put on hold. He called this morning and did a 3-way with Princess to confirm I wanted to use FCDs for the deposit. (I could have done it myself initially but just put the bookings on hold while my wife and I discussed whether or not to actually book the cruises. After that one loses the ability to use FCD online.) I confirmed that I wanted to use FCDs for the the deposits. The TA asked if I would like him to "drop by" with the Transfer Forms (they need to be physically signed) and I said he could just email them. I'll print them out, sign them, scan them and then send them back to the TA. He will forward them to Princess. (Yes, I could have sent them directly but I wanted him to have a signed copy anyway so it was easiest to just send them to him and have him send them on to Princess.)

That doesn't answer the question about what is direct control.  What are you trying to control?  Are you making changes to the booking?  What changes?

I did use  a PCC a couple of times.  The last time I transferred the booking to a TA.  I decided that was too much work so I just book with my TA.  Doesn't seem to be any different booking with a TA instead of a PCC except the TA gives me an 8-10% discount.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

That doesn't answer the question about what is direct control.  What are you trying to control?  Are you making changes to the booking?  What changes?

I did use  a PCC a couple of times.  The last time I transferred the booking to a TA.  I decided that was too much work so I just book with my TA.  Doesn't seem to be any different booking with a TA instead of a PCC except the TA gives me an 8-10% discount.

I have a very "responsive" TA. Many others don't. They have missed price drops, upsell offers, move over offers, etc. because their TA either wasn't on the ball or was out of town.From what I've read here on CC the "big box cruise booker" doesn't pass along any info at all. For these folks, booking direct can have a great deal of benefit. For me, not so much as, even when my TA is out of town and on the other side of the country, he has always replied to me very quickly. It may be 7:00 PM where he is but his office voice mail rolls over to his cell and he calls me back. Good service isn't always the case with TAs and possibly not even the norm. A couple of times he has contacted me immediately to let me know there were upsell possibilities. Once I said to go for it. He called back and said there was only one cabin left in the category so he booked it on my behalf but, if I wasn't happy with the location, he would immediately switch me back to my original cabin. (We loved the cabin and have since booked it deliberately and marked it "no upgrade".)

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 1:15 PM, memoak said:

I use a Princess Vacation Planner and she is great   She has been known to call me on a Friday afternoon with a new lower rate. When we ask for a quote n a cruise she will block cabins for us within hours of getting the email. She has become more like a friend than an agent 

Yes, I just started using a Princess Vacation Planner. She is excellent. Back in the day - 20 years ago- we used to use a big online Cruise TA. When she moved on we started booking directly with the cruise lines.  I much prefer this as they have better information on cabins and locations and are quickly reachable when there is a price drop!  Last summer my DS used a TA for a cruise we were both taking. Several times during the year before our cruise there was a price drop!  I was always able to get on the phone with a Princess rep and refare. She had to wait days for a call back from her TA, who also screwed up her flights and linking our reservations.  I’ll stick with Princess directly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have a very "responsive" TA. Many others don't. They have missed price drops, upsell offers, move over offers, etc. because their TA either wasn't on the ball or was out of town.From what I've read here on CC the "big box cruise booker" doesn't pass along any info at all. For these folks, booking direct can have a great deal of benefit. For me, not so much as, even when my TA is out of town and on the other side of the country, he has always replied to me very quickly. It may be 7:00 PM where he is but his office voice mail rolls over to his cell and he calls me back. Good service isn't always the case with TAs and possibly not even the norm. A couple of times he has contacted me immediately to let me know there were upsell possibilities. Once I said to go for it. He called back and said there was only one cabin left in the category so he booked it on my behalf but, if I wasn't happy with the location, he would immediately switch me back to my original cabin. (We loved the cabin and have since booked it deliberately and marked it "no upgrade".)

I still don't understand how booking with a TA means giving up control of your booking?  Would you please elaborate?  Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, the cruise line won't notify someone of a price drop so why is that an issue with a TA?