RC announce more Coronavirus measures

11 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

My question is how do they know if you have been in contact with someone from those countries?

For that matter: how does a person know if they're in contact with someone from those countries? I don't know where the people sitting next to me on the subway have been. I don't know where my seatmate on the plane has been. Do we need to start passing out survey forms to these strangers?

DW and I were talking about how impossible it is for cruise ships to totally protect passengers from viruses like Covid-19 which allegedly incubate on items for hours

This is an example why

1. Backs of heavy chairs 

2. Windjammer tongs

3. Bar / Counter tops

4. Slot machine buttons

5. Shop items

6. Quiz pencils

7. Elevator buttons

8. Sitting in large crowds: Theatre / restaurants / Bars / Elevators etc.

9. Your own sea pass card

10. Drawers in your cabin

We laughed about how ridiculous it would be to try to deal with all of this (may as well live in a field and never leave it), but also agreed that it's definitely time ships moved on from the food tong experience

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, soloadventurer said:

Death rates of influenza disease in the United States in 2018/19 according to CDC 34,000 in 2017/18 it was 61,000 

World wide deaths are between 290,000 to 650,000

can we have a little of perspective please 

Your logic is wrong..... 

Should we say the same about terrorists??? they kill less people that the flu does

Sorry, but the whole world would NOT be putting so much into containing this if it was not a major issue...

I dare say if these measures had not been put into place in every country so far... you would probably be lying in a hospital bed as we speak

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, soloadventurer said:

Death rates of influenza disease in the United States in 2018/19 according to CDC 34,000 in 2017/18 it was 61,000 

You are comparing apples to oranges...

Scientists have studied seasonal flu for decades. So, despite the danger of it, we know a lot about flu viruses and what to expect each season. In contrast, very little is known about the new coronavirus, dubbed COVID-19, because it's so new. This means COVID-19 is something of a wild card in terms of how far it will spread and how many deaths it will cause. 

The measure scientists use to determine how easily a virus spreads is known as the "basic reproduction number," or R0. This is an estimate of the average number of people who catch the virus from a single infected person. The flu virus has an R0 value of about 1.3 - This means each infected person can spread the virus to an average of 1.3 people.

Researchers are still working to determine the R0 for COVID-19.  Preliminary studies have estimated an R0 value of between 2 and 3 - This means each infected person can spread the virus to an average of 2 to 3 people.

Having posted this, will we be cancelling our cruise later this month? No. Unless forced to.

Take sensible precautions - wash your hands - frequently.

Edited by icsys
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, icsys said:

You are comparing apples to oranges...

Is that RO figure an average of the countries affected?

If so wouldn't the RO for the United States be much lower than the RO in places of extremely high population density like China?

???

On 3/3/2020 at 3:54 AM, mashisback said:

Your logic is wrong..... 

Should we say the same about terrorists??? they kill less people that the flu does

Sorry, but the whole world would NOT be putting so much into containing this if it was not a major issue...

I dare say if these measures had not been put into place in every country so far... you would probably be lying in a hospital bed as we speak

Actually, the majority of people who get this virus experience mild symptoms, so the odds of the other poster lying in a hospital bed would be slim.  If the poster is elderly with certain existing health conditions, the odds go up.  For the average healthy person, they should be fine.

80.9% of the cases are ‘mild’

The researchers analyzed a total of 72,314 patient records, which included: “44,672 (61.8%) confirmed cases, 16,186 (22.4%) suspected cases, 10,567 (14.6%) clinically diagnosed cases,” and “889 asymptomatic cases (1.2%).”

Of the total number of individuals with confirmed cases, 80.9% were said to be “mild.” Most of the adults affected were between 30 and 79 years old.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronavirus-81-of-cases-are-mild-study-says

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

Sad to see all of the freaking out going on about this.   Especially because no one will be talking about this in 6 months.

*because we'll all be dead from it

I kid, I kid.  

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Margin Walker said:

Sad to see all of the freaking out going on about this.   Especially because no one will be talking about this in 6 months.

I kid, I kid.  

i just feel bad for Corona, the beer company...they didnt deserve this!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Borat said:

i just feel bad for Corona, the beer company...they didnt deserve this!!

I'll help them by drinking Corona Beer on our cruise later this month, assuming they still have it.

1 hour ago, Margin Walker said:

I kid, I kid.  

The pandemic of worrying about a potential pandemic

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 4:25 AM, soloadventurer said:

You realize the actual death rate of Coronavirus is many multiples higher than the flu, though, correct?  😶

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JCDCA said:

You realize the actual death rate of Coronavirus is many multiples higher than the flu, though, correct?  😶

You do realise that they have years of influenza data but just months of covid-19 numbers which are evolving by the day 🙄

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JCDCA said:

Actually, that is incorrect.

if we look outside of The Hubei province, fatality rates are about the same as a heavy saisonal flu, with almost no fatalities amongst healthy, middle aged persons, and no fatalities amongst children.

the only issue is that there is no immunisation at the moment and the higher contamination chances due to that.

but next year, nobody will blink an eyelid anymore about Covid19 and we will all wonder why we created a new Worldwide economic crisis by sheer hysteria.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Actually, that is incorrect.

if we look outside of The Hubei province, fatality rates are about the same as a heavy saisonal flu, with almost no fatalities amongst healthy, middle aged persons, and no fatalities amongst children.

the only issue is that there is no immunisation at the moment and the higher contamination chances due to that.

but next year, nobody will blink an eyelid anymore about Covid19 and we will all wonder why we created a new Worldwide economic crisis by sheer hysteria.

The rate outside of China is not close to seasonal flu. Italy is currently about 3%. The Diamond Princess is also a good case study where we have a good understanding of the volume infected vs fatalities and it was around 1% - x20 greater than seasonal flu at 0.1%. 

Saw this on cnn.com.

The death of a patient in Placer County marks the first coronavirus-related death in California.

The patient was elderly and had underlying health conditions, according to Placer County Public Health. 

The patient was likely exposed during international travel from Feb. 11 to 21 on a Princess cruise ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico, the release continues, adding that the patient was in isolation at Kaiser Permanente Roseville.

I personally am not panicked, but I am 40 and no health issues. Many cruised are elderly with health conditions. If I were in the high risk group I would be more concerned. My biggest fear is not the virus but a quarantine on a cruise ship. I could handle home quarantine though.

1 minute ago, MoniMommy said:

Saw this on cnn.com.

The death of a patient in Placer County marks the first coronavirus-related death in California.

The patient was elderly and had underlying health conditions, according to Placer County Public Health. 

The patient was likely exposed during international travel from Feb. 11 to 21 on a Princess cruise ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico, the release continues, adding that the patient was in isolation at Kaiser Permanente Roseville.

I personally am not panicked, but I am 40 and no health issues. Many cruised are elderly with health conditions. If I were in the high risk group I would be more concerned. My biggest fear is not the virus but a quarantine on a cruise ship. I could handle home quarantine though.

2 more cruise ships might be looking at ship-board quarantines - one in Greece is definite, and one in the US is possible, depending what CDC decides by Thursday and what they find out between now and then...

Saw this on http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

March 4, Grand Princess, COVID-19 outbreak/quarantine?
The following is posted at the Princess website: Last night / early this morning, our chief medical officer Dr. Grant Tarling issued this Health Advisory Letter to guests and crew currently sailing onboard Grand Princess. A similar notification has been emailed to guests who sailed on the previous voyage. Guests Health Advisory – Coronavirus: I wish to advise you that today we have been notified by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that they are investigating a small cluster of COVID-19 (coronavirus) cases in Northern California connected to our previous voyage that sailed roundtrip San Francisco from February 11 to February 21. We are working closely with our CDC partners and are following their recommendations. For those guests who sailed with us on our previous voyage, in an abundance of caution the CDC requires you to remain in your stateroom until you have been contacted and cleared by our medical staff. A member of our medical team will be calling you between the hours of 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM this morning. You may order room service while you wait for the medical screening to be completed, and we apologize for any inconvenience. Also see here.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

2 more cruise ships might be looking at ship-board quarantines - one in Greece is definite, and one in the US is possible, depending what CDC decides by Thursday and what they find out between now and then...

Can you provide a link about the one in Greece? I would think the CDC doesn't have jurisdiction there.

I can’t understand how they are separating possibly sick passengers getting screened or passengers who have traveled in or through the banned countries from the rest of the overall people checking in at the port?