Cancelling cruise due to corona

Not a username2

Pure Speculation -

You will get a refund for your excursions and drink package if you call and cancel them.   Flight will depend on whether you booked a refundable or non-refundable fare.   The refundable are refundable with a fee that the airline designates.

I would say you have zero chance of receiving a credit or refund for the cruise.   If you had taken out the Celebrity Cancel for any reason policy you should be able to get a 75% future cruise credit.

As others have indicated.   Call Celebrity and Insurance Company to find the real answer. 

• Thanks 1

I have a Caribbean cruise booked in March. Was not too concerned. News today about the MSC ship being denied docking in Jamaica and Cayman Because a crew member has flu is quite unsettling.  I could understand if it was corona. Really hate to see people get scared.

• Like 2

Countries are right to be skeptical of a diagnosis coming from shipboard doctors.  Early reports were that the crew member traveled through one of the banned area.  Is that true?  Who knows?  Who can you trust at this point?  Easy enough to lie to get around the restrictions.

30 minutes ago, sandbox202 said:

If they are not allowing boarding to anyone - passenger or crew - who has travel thru the infected countries within 14 days...….

So if I have a cruise departing Rome and I arrive in Rome the day before, will they refused me entry onto the ship as Italy is one of the counties listed?  How will that work if they are departing from the same country that they are banning travel from?

Italy is not a listed country, only the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto. Consequently, if you fly directly into Rome without travelling though any of the listed countries/regions, you'll be able to board.

The real problem arises for scheduled cruises out of Venice. I've seen nothing official from Celebrity to date, but based on their current travel advisory, those cruises would have to be cancelled or the itineraries modified to exclude Venice. Other cruises with Venice as a port of call would also need to be modified.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, sandbox202 said:

If they are not allowing boarding to anyone - passenger or crew - who has travel thru the infected countries within 14 days...….

So if I have a cruise departing Rome and I arrive in Rome the day before, will they refused me entry onto the ship as Italy is one of the counties listed?  How will that work if they are departing from the same country that they are banning travel from?

Look, are you reading what is actually being banned? I’m flying into Rome in April and arriving the day prior and that is not an issue. the restrictions on Italy is the Lombardy (Milan) and Veneto (Venice) areas, not ‘Italy’. And yes, there are tons of trains from Milan/Venice to Rome and so on. 

Just keep aware of what the actual issues and areas are. It’s been poster here and more than a few of the other threads here. If Rome is added, obviously then there is an issue with a Rome-departing cruise. Not now, and yes, there will be posts that follow that say there Must be the virus in Rome!!’.

So I suggest you dont go. The last thing I want is to sit around listening to fellow passengers constantly worrying about getting Corona.....wash your hands, don’t stick your fingers in your mouth or nose (or rub you eyes) and take care of yourself. 

Edit: Oops, Fouremco beat me to it!!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's ok Den, we always enjoy reading your posts!:classic_biggrin:

Thank you Fouremco!

By the way, your snorkel, it that a new anti-Corona device you’ll wear in public?? It may be very effective: covers your eyes, nose and mouth and you don’t inhale ‘particles’ unless someone sneezes near you who is 7ft tall!! 

Love it......I’m going to buy one and take it with me.....not only will it keep me from inhaling stuff, it will definitely keep people, including my wife!, way away from me.

Den

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sandbox202 said:

Only the regions of Lombardi and Veneto are listed for Italy

3 hours ago, Not a username2 said:

To me, it’s the possibility of infecting my innocent little 2 yr old. Also other loved ones.

It doesn't seem to be impacting children much.  I assume your 2 yr old is healthy.  I'd be more concerned about the elderly.  They are the ones that seem to be impacted the most.

23 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

By the way, your snorkel, it that a new anti-Corona device you’ll wear in public?? It may be very effective: covers your eyes, nose and mouth and you don’t inhale ‘particles’ unless someone sneezes near you who is 7ft tall!! 

When I'm travelling with basketball teams, I simply slip a sock over the top of the snorkel to filter out those particles. I can also use the snorkel as a straw, helping to keep the environment free of all those single-use plastic ones. The only problem is that I sometimes forget to take the sock off before trying to sip my martini!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, sandbox202 said:

If they ban all of italy, they will have to change the embarkation port. Hopefully you will be notified before your flight to Rome leaves, but it certainly has occurred that they have changed the list of banned locations so close to the embarkation day that some people were already in the air traveling to a banned city and therefore were unable to board. That happened on a celebrity cruise when they banned hong kong less than 24 hours before a cruise left from singapore. People who were currently flying in an had a layover in hong kong were not allowed to board.

If the cruise ships are denying boarding and granting full refunds to those who have had contact with someone from a banned country...or who feel “ill”... do you have to actually fly into port and present yourself? Or can you call X a few days prior and tell them you’re not eligible to board and not leave home? Seems like I would not want to fly in, go to the terminal, etc if I was going to be denied. But then how do they handle it?

49 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

RedTravel - We feel the same, but I think once we get going on it, the excitement of cruising and vacationing will take over......and we’ll not be reading all of these threads. 

Keep safe, but Have Fun!!

Den

If you have internet aboard, you will and be reporting on it all at that! LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1

About ten years ago, there was an outbreak of the Swine flu which had major impact on the cruiselines who sailed to Mexican ports.

I was booked on a five day on Carnival out of New Orleans.   At that time I had an excellent cruise travel agent who kept me updated and also gave me warning about being flexible for changes.

The evening  before my sailing,  it was changed from five to seven days,from two stops in Mexico to Key West,  Freeport, and  Nassau.   Luckily I had drove and always took extra days pre and post cruise.  However it was chaos at the port because some people were not aware  and for those who flew in, quite a few didn't bother  to board.  Carnival offered refunds and incentives for cruising again.   Those who did sailed got some OBC.

I had friends who flee of sail out of San Diego for seven day charter cruise and it was changed to San Francisco,  Seattle  and sea days want to say it was Royal Caribbean.   Those that went were very unhappy on board.

My cruise is not until August, while we have travel insurance,  going back to read again.   I got it mainly for work and if injury happens.

I got a feeling stricter measures might happen and if someone looks like or pointed out, either have additional screening and up to denied  boarding .

Curious on how this ship and passengers will be handled returning to US soil.   Curious if next sailing is going to have late delays due to heavy cleaning and crew and passenger health  checks or reduced  or canceled for deep cleaning 

26 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

If the cruise ships are denying boarding and granting full refunds to those who have had contact with someone from a banned country...or who feel “ill”... do you have to actually fly into port and present yourself? Or can you call X a few days prior and tell them you’re not eligible to board and not leave home? Seems like I would not want to fly in, go to the terminal, etc if I was going to be denied. But then how do they handle it?

Very interesting questions. I'd like to think that Celebrity would be flexible and help customers avoid having to make a wasted trip to the point of embarkation, but at the same time, they don't want to be scammed by passengers who want to cancel for totally unrelated reasons. In some case, coming down with the flu for example, a note from your doctor might suffice as evidence. On the other hand, how do you prove that you've come into contact with someone from a banned country? I'm sure they'd believe you if you showed up at the port, but would be less inclined to do so if you simply telephoned. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the weeks to come.

Unfortunately, there are going to be a lot of very unhappy and frustrated passengers no matter what Celebrity does. There is simply no precedent for cruise lines or the travel industry as a whole, so they are having to make decisions on the fly. The nature of Cruise Critic means that these boards are going to focus on cruise lines, and more often than not point a damning finger at them, but stepping back and getting a broader perspective shows that COVID-19 is negatively impacting many, many more sectors of the global economy.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

If they ban all of italy, they will have to change the embarkation port. Hopefully you will be notified before your flight to Rome leaves, but it certainly has occurred that they have changed the list of banned locations so close to the embarkation day that some people were already in the air traveling to a banned city and therefore were unable to board. That happened on a celebrity cruise when they banned hong kong less than 24 hours before a cruise left from singapore. People who were currently flying in an had a layover in hong kong were not allowed to board.

Banning Italian ports cuts out most of our July cruise including embarkation and disembarkation. 

4 hours ago, sandbox202 said:

Read the post again, they are denying boarding to those who have been in the Lombardy and Veneto regions if Italy, not all of Italy. 

17 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Read the post again, they are denying boarding to those who have been in the Lombardy and Veneto regions if Italy, not all of Italy. 

Yes, but surely a matter of time. 

The issue for all cruises now, - anywhere - is that the merest whiff of symptoms and the ports may refuse entry. No port wants another Princess Diamond episode. 

Edited by Pushka

11 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

If the virus spreads quickly before then, the cruise possibly could be cancelled.  Seems unlikely, but who really knows.

Did you see the news this afternoon?  A flight landed at LAX from Korea and one of flight attendants tested positive for Corona.  Have not heard a subsequent report and have not heard if they will have to quarantine all who were on flight.  Also heard on radio and TV today that Delta, United and I believe American are cancelling flights to some countries.

Have flight to Amsterdam in June to cruise on Brilliance of the Seas so am carefully monitoring European situation.