Carnival Stock Price Dropping

Daniel A

1 minute ago, geoherb said:

The good news is I bought my 100 shares after the Costa ship sank nearly 14 years ago. I've made my money back and then some through dividends and onboard credits. It's hard to see my paper profits disappear, though. If it drops much lower, I'll buy some extra shares in hopes that I can sell if the price eventually rebounds. It's hard for me to imagine a world without cruise ships.

It’s hard to imagine a world without cruise ships.  It is easy to imagine a world where a cruise company that is heavily affected by the crisis goes bankrupt.  Big difference between a world without airplanes and a world without Eastern Air.  

• Like 1

I’m tempted to buy another 100 shares whilst it’s in the low 30s. If/when it recovers, I can sell the original batch when it gets back to break even when this all blows over and lower my cost of entry to the OBCs. 

• Like 1

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I bought at $60/share.  I have a buy order in for $30 for an equal number of shares.  If/when the stock gets back to $45 then I will have recouped my unrealized losses and then anything higher than that would be unrealized gain for the composite.  Is this too simple?  Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

The good news is I bought my 100 shares after the Costa ship sank nearly 14 years ago. I've made my money back and then some through dividends and onboard credits. It's hard to see my paper profits disappear, though. If it drops much lower, I'll buy some extra shares in hopes that I can sell if the price eventually rebounds. It's hard for me to imagine a world without cruise ships.

Costa Concordia  incident  Friday13th January 2012.

Edited by fishnchips

1 minute ago, gatorguy56 said:

If the stock is held in both husband and wife’s names, do both get the stock once?  What if it is in just one of their names (my husband gets the military obc and I don’t)

Only one OBC gets applied per cabin booking.

9 minutes ago, polmcs said:

I’m tempted to buy another 100 shares whilst it’s in the low 30s. If/when it recovers, I can sell the original batch when it gets back to break even when this all blows over and lower my cost of entry to the OBCs. 

Keep in mind what make 100 shares of CCL such a good deal is value of stock + dividends + OBC.  The second 100 shares of stock is just value of stock plus dividends (no obc).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Keep in mind what make 100 shares of CCL such a good deal is value of stock + dividends + OBC.  The second 100 shares of stock is just value of stock plus dividends (no obc).  

I would only hold 200 shares long enough so that the first batch I bought ($45 and change) got back to breakeven, or close to it. I’ll happily take the dividends on all the shares in the meantime. All I’m trying to do here is lower my cost of entry for the OBC.

14 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I bought at $60/share.  I have a buy order in for $30 for an equal number of shares.  If/when the stock gets back to $45 then I will have recouped my unrealized losses and then anything higher than that would be unrealized gain for the composite.  Is this too simple?  Am I missing something?

The one thing missing would be the wash rule, but it’s been a while since I saw the stock at $60 and the wash rule applies to sales less than 30 days apart, so it wouldn’t apply in your case as I’m going to assume that it will take more than 30 days to recover. If you were to buy 100 @$60 and 100@ $30, then if you sold at $45, then there would be no gain/loss to report outside of commission fees.

However, if you bought at $30 and the stock does a Lazarus within 30 days and you opted to sell only the $60 batch, then the wash sale rule applies and any loss on those shares would be disallowed. You are however allowed to apply that loss to the $30 shares and adjust the cost basis when you came to sell those.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

It’s hard to imagine a world without cruise ships.  It is easy to imagine a world where a cruise company that is heavily affected by the crisis goes bankrupt.  Big difference between a world without airplanes and a world without Eastern Air.  

My guess is that if any cruise lines go bankrupt it will be the smaller ones not CCL.  Should that happen CCL may well buy up any bankrupt cruise lines or there could even be a merger with larger lines.

I am buying  at low 30's and betting that within five years or less the stock will be $60++.   Of course NOBODY knows but personally I think the odds of CCL going bankrupt are slim to none.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

What are they going to do with these giant ships when the cruise lines go belly up?

Housing for the homeless...  New more comfortable prisons...  Boarding schools...  A set for a new show, maybe call it "The Love Boat arrives at Fantasy Island after a port call at Gilligan's Island."  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, mcrimmins said:

I anticipate it dropping much lower as more of the virus emerges.  I have owned it for well over 10 years and never lost money on it till now.

It could drop to zero and I would still be ahead with all the OBC that CCL stock ownership has provided.

Of course I would prefer it not do that, but instead recover and climb to new highs.

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

I really doubt they will cut the Shareholder OBC benefit but, just to be on the safe side, I just faxed my Shareholder Request for my cruises next May/June. Never hurts to get it applied early. I love being able to do it without the old hassle of waiting until shortly before final payment.

It has already been extended to sailings by July 31, 2021.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

5 hours ago, heddyjan said:

I have cruises already booked but if I buy CCL stock now, can I apply for the OBC before sailing in a month?

Yes you can but you need to move quickly, you cannot apply when your cruise is less than three weeks away.  It has to be at least 100 shares owned.  See the link caribill provided.

No form is needed - just put the required info in a letter and fax or mail it to Princess.  From the company benefit announcement: 

"Please provide by fax or by mail your complete legal name, reservation/booking number, ship and sailing date, along with proof of ownership of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc shares (for example, photocopy of shareholder proxy card, a dividend tax voucher or a current brokerage or nominee statement with your brokerage account number blacked out) no later than 3 weeks prior to your sail date to your travel agent or to the cruise line"

3 hours ago, caribill said:

It has already been extended to sailings by July 31, 2021.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

That sail by date has been there for a while.  The announcement says that bookings must be made by tomorrow.  But, this is Princess; let's see if they actually follow their own policy.

53 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The announcement says that bookings must be made by tomorrow.  

The form says Feb 29, 2021.  Which doesn’t exist, but I assume was meant as a year from tomorrow.

Edited by ed01106
  • Haha 1