Carnival Stock Price Dropping

Daniel A

10 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well...there just may be something to this.  I just came from my broker this morning (where I bought 100 shares at 29.11) and was looking for the current form to download.  Nowhere to be found on the CarnivalCorp site.  Of course I may just be blind and overlooking it.  There are a couple of old forms that Google offers up from non-Carnival sources that have old dates embedded.  Can anybody point me to the correct form?

There is no form and hasn't been one for a few years.  Some CC posters would post a copy of an old form they used to use thinking they were helping others but they were only perpetuating the myth that one needs to file a form.  Read the announcement and follow that.  They only made it easier to file for the OBC by having you put the required information into a letter you either mail or fax.

Full instructions here:  https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

1 minute ago, ed01106 said:

I have seen that link...it does not offer up a downloadable form as what used to be available.  As Travelhound suggested, it may no longer be available and you just have to write a letter.  Having never dealt with this before, it should be fairly obvious that I am floundering a bit!

Just now, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have seen that link...it does not offer up a downloadable form as what used to be available.  As Travelhound suggested, it may no longer be available and you just have to write a letter.  Having never dealt with this before, it should be fairly obvious that I am floundering a bit!

7 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well...Seriously...why has the form suddenly disappeared? 

No form anymore, no form anymore...  It's been gone for a few years.  It didn't "suddenly" disappear.

• Like 1

Many thanks to all who have pointed out that there is no longer a form.  A Google search brings up several "old" forms, and that easily suggests that it is simply a matter of finding the "current" form.  My apologies for getting everybody riled up!  Shareholder subject is brand new to me (and I suspect a lot of other people who may be following this thread.)

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Did you click on the link on that page which is https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f   and read the contents? NO form required. It has the information on what to fax and the fax telephone numbers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

At the current rate of decline you will only own $50K of CCL by next month.  😈

I just looked. My daughter's 15K that we bought less than two weeks ago is now worth $10,200. 🙄

Edited by travelhound

For me, I already doubled the number of shares of Carnival Stock last week and that was all I was planning to buy in the first place.  I intend to keep the stock long term, so I'm done watching the dailies and hourlies.  If you already have the maximum amount of CCL, my advice is to sit back and check on it in a few weeks or months.  Why drive yourself crazy on money you haven't actually lost?  (If you didn't panic and sell.)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

For me, I already doubled the number of shares of Carnival Stock last week and that was all I was planning to buy in the first place.  I intend to keep the stock long term, so I'm done watching the dailies and hourlies.  If you already have the maximum amount of CCL, my advice is to sit back and check on it in a few weeks or months.  Why drive yourself crazy on money you haven't actually lost?  (If you didn't panic and sell.)

Absolutely. You only lose money if you sell at this point. I'm just hoping we don't actually get our put assigned. We've already got 360 shares with our daughter. That's enough. Now that it's over 28, there's hope to not be assigned.

On 3/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, satxdiver said:

Right now the stock is at a historical low for the last many years.  The stock pays $0.50 dividend/quarter for a 6.05% return on today's price.  CCL will pay the $.50 dividend on 3/13 to all who owned stock on 2/20.  How much do you get from a savings account or other investment.  

You do understand that if you bought stock on 2/20 to get the dividend on 3/13 that you haven't made a penny and there is no percentage return on that dividend payment, right?

When a stock goes ex-dividend its share price is reduced by the exact amount of the quarterly dividend. So theoretically (cuz I'm too lazy to look up the correct figures), if CCL closed at $33 on 2/20, it would have opened at $32.50 on 2/21.

The payment of the .50 quarterly dividend to anyone who bought on 2/20 is just a return to them of their own money.  With possible tax consequences I might add.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, satxdiver said:

As with all stock the dividend is certainly tied to earnings.  One major alert to a company in serious trouble is when they cut dividends which many times results in a selloff driving down the price of their stock even more.  While many companies with earnings problems may look at cutting dividends, this weighs heavily on their decision.  I don't expect CCL to cut dividends in the near future with this in mind.   There is no guarantee they won't, but very highly unlikely.

when any company has to decide whether to pay their debt  on time or pay dividends the choice they make is a easy one  & that is to pay their debt so they don't go into foreclosure or need to file bankruptcy 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

when any company has to decide whether to pay their debt  on time or pay dividends the choice they make is a easy one  & that is to pay their debt so they don't go into foreclosure or need to file bankruptcy 

In 2008 when Carnival decided to suspend the dividend and pay off some loan notes they were not in need of filing bankruptcy at all or going into foreclosure.

It was simply that some notes  previously issued bore a fairly low rate of interest until a certain date then there was an option to buy them back but if they were not bought back then the interest rate increased substantially and they couldn't be bought back for many years.

In addition to that it was felt that the cruise industry might be feeling the pinch for a while so it was good to get rid of the debt while it was possible to do so without hurting too much.

There were also 22 new ships on order at the time which had to be paid for.

So it made sense to suspend the dividend.

CCL $ 27.90

Edited by Griller

2 minutes ago, dodger1964 said:

Sounds familiar...buy high, sell low, but make it up on volume!!

Ironically, we decided to buy it at 42 because we thought it had been beaten back so much from the 60s. Oh well, at least she's 9 and this is in her college fund. Hopefully it will turn around in 9 more years!

• Like 1

In this  extremely volatile stock market   the pros  follow the puts & call options  against  a number of stocks  .From what they see they  trade the options & or go long on the stock or short the stock   . Although I am not a options trader (very high risk)  ,we would think that there are many more puts  than call against CCL stock 

From what We are seeing in the daily markets volatility & this worldwide pandemic ,it is only a matter of time before CCL & RCL tank even further  .I am not quite sure I would  buy either stock even if it sold at $5  per share because there is the real possibility they could cease  doing business  based on their huge debt 

Edited by mcrcruiser

Although I cannot recall the figures I read last week that Carnival have way less debt than other big cruise lines like NCL etc.

I would expect  CCL would survive this, and might even acquire another line, or at least their ships.

The world is not going to stop cruising forever because of this

Edited by Griller
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We sold ours at $45.  If another ship or two get quarantined, or the cruise industry in general gets postponed, these stocks will get crushed.  It took a few years for the general public to forget the Carnival Triumph's "poop cruise".

Smart  move . you can always buy  back in for the share holder benefit  ,that is if after the dust settles & the benefit is still offered 

27 minutes ago, Griller said:

The world is not going to stop cruising forever because of this

I agree with that. 

Problem for the cruise lines, however, is they are heavily leveraged.  If the world stops cruising for a few months they will go bankrupt.    

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Smart  move . you can always buy  back in for the share holder benefit  ,that is if after the dust settles & the benefit is still offered 

Absolutely.  Even though we are leaning towards Carnival brands these days, I might pick up 100 shares from some the other lines as well.