Over drinking family member unlimited drinks

On 3/3/2020 at 1:11 PM, DaiC01 said:

Its only a 15 drink limit within the package you can still purchase drinks and charge them to you account.

This is not accurate. Carnival has a 15 alcoholic drink daily limit, regardless of package or paying ala carte. The count resets every day at 6AM.

When you bit 15 drinks you are done for the day. 

Carnival will, however, sell you a bottle of liquor for your room; so let’s not for one minute believe Carnival is being altruistic, it’s all about profit margin!!

29 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This is not accurate. Carnival has a 15 alcoholic drink daily limit, regardless of package or paying ala carte. The count resets every day at 6AM.

When you bit 15 drinks you are done for the day. 

Carnival will, however, sell you a bottle of liquor for your room; so let’s not for one minute believe Carnival is being altruistic, it’s all about profit margin!!

Yeah carnivals 15 drink limit is 100% to limit their losses is people do manage to share a drink package

It is rare that bartenders will stop serving you on most lines, I have seen people staggered to the bar and get drinks, I am glad there is no restriction on rccl , I am drink a lot but I am a large person that can handle it. Even with a limit your spouse can get you drinks and many people get free drinks from loyalty programs. 

I don't like the idea suggested in post #1 that bartenders could de-activate a drunk guest's card. Could be done mistakenly or for other motives, then I'm at guest services trying to convince them I was sober!  Bartenders cutting off cruisers for being unpleasant and demanding or not tipping. The over-drinkers themselves are causing the problem, why should they make things more complicated for everyone else?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, George C said:

It is rare that bartenders will stop serving you on most lines, I have seen people staggered to the bar and get drinks, I am glad there is no restriction on rccl , I am drink a lot but I am a large person that can handle it. Even with a limit your spouse can get you drinks and many people get free drinks from loyalty programs. 

I suspect that as long as the person is tipping the bartenders well, which is highly likely with someone that has had a lot to drink, the bartenders won't cut them off.

Well once again the haters have come out...  so glad I posted 1. Yeah 6 drinks at dinner is highly possible, that’s formal dinner, not rushing and hanging out , I drank more than 6 diet cokes, 2. don’t think for a minute there weren’t multiple conversations w him, 3. Just like a regular bar I couldn’t believe he kept being served, if he did harm or get hurt I would think RC would not want that risk, 4. Isn’t this the place to post about “stuff’ , so this is not airing dirty laundry ..you have no idea who I or my family is... I think of this board as conversations w similarly interested people..l thank u to all those who posted concern or even neutral statements ....to the others well... is highly apparent   you get positive reinforcement from being rude, intolerant, nasty, argumentative,

... how sad for you to live in this fashion...

• Like 1

In all of our MDR experiences I can’t imagine being able to get 6 drinks of anything within the time dinner lasts, let alone fit that much fluid in my stomach.  Honest question, do you order two at a time?  Maybe it’s possible then.  My wife and daughter also drink Diet Coke at dinner and I don’t think they’ve ever had more than two.  Three maybe and that would be pushing it, formal nights included.  

Dan

3 hours ago, nadinenurse1 said:

Well once again the haters have come out...  so glad I posted 1. Yeah 6 drinks at dinner is highly possible, that’s formal dinner, not rushing and hanging out , I drank more than 6 diet cokes, 2. don’t think for a minute there weren’t multiple conversations w him, 3. Just like a regular bar I couldn’t believe he kept being served, if he did harm or get hurt I would think RC would not want that risk, 4. Isn’t this the place to post about “stuff’ , so this is not airing dirty laundry ..you have no idea who I or my family is... I think of this board as conversations w similarly interested people..l thank u to all those who posted concern or even neutral statements ....to the others well... is highly apparent   you get positive reinforcement from being rude, intolerant, nasty, argumentative,

... how sad for you to live in this fashion...

6 drink services at the MDR is flat-out impossible as others have noted.  You are completely exaggerating.  I now doubt he was anything more than having a good time.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MericaAR15 said:

Following your logic, RCI needs to permanently close all windows and board up all balconies because they are facing a lawsuit due to the inappropriate actions of a passenger.  I mean, you'd hate to see them facing litigation due to passenger misconduct, so we should go ahead and cut that off, right?  

Here's a pro tip: a company that's as successful and profitable as Royal Caribbean has lawyers on staff for a reason, and they're typically in a far better position than most individuals/families to deal with questionable litigation.

You cannot possibly have enough rules or laws in place to prevent people from taking legal action, and attempting to do so would adversely affect everyone else (read: the overwhelming majority of their customers).

My logic isn't flawed. If the windows and balconies weren't safe then sure, but they are. They become unsafe when someone does something stupid. I'm talking about when someone is reported as being drunk then Royal needs to pay attention. Do I really think Royal should have to do this? Of course not. As I said before people should take responsibility for their own actions but often they don't. You have read about Chloe haven't you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

My logic isn't flawed. If the windows and balconies weren't safe then sure, but they are. They become unsafe when someone does something stupid. I'm talking about when someone is reported as being drunk then Royal needs to pay attention. Do I really think Royal should have to do this? Of course not. As I said before people should take responsibility for their own actions but often they don't. You have read about Chloe haven't you?

Yes, your logic is flawed.  You basically stated that RCI should pay more attention/take action to avoid potential lawsuits. 

Windows and balconies aren't safe; people have fallen, intentionally or otherwise, which resulted in great bodily harm, up to and including death.  Therefore, RCI should take action to prevent this, right?

Yes, of course I've read about the little girl.  It was 100% the grandfather's fault, not RCIs.

A lot of people here claiming it’s not the ships job. There are laws in many places that if someone drinks at a bar and gets into a car and drives and causes an accident the bar can be sued. 

Bartenders have always been required to stop serving if someone is visibly intoxicated. This isn’t new and should be no different on a cruise ship. 

People need to stop blindly defending the cruise lines. They make mistakes too. 

The law states that anyone who furnished (delivered, sold, exchanged, provided or gave away) alcohol to a drunk driver could be held liable for the resulting damages if: The person furnishing the alcoholic beverage had actual knowledge that the person was visibly intoxicated at the time.

When a Bartender Continues Serving a Patron In Spite of Obvious Intoxication. A bar may be liable for over-serving if a bartender continues to serve drinks to a patron who is very clearly intoxicated to the point that he or she may be a danger to themselves or others.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

A lot of people here claiming it’s not the ships job. There are laws in many places that if someone drinks at a bar and gets into a car and drives and causes an accident the bar can be sued. 

Bartenders have always been required to stop serving if someone is visibly intoxicated. This isn’t new and should be no different on a cruise ship. 

People need to stop blindly defending the cruise lines. They make mistakes too. 

The law states that anyone who furnished (delivered, sold, exchanged, provided or gave away) alcohol to a drunk driver could be held liable for the resulting damages if: The person furnishing the alcoholic beverage had actual knowledge that the person was visibly intoxicated at the time.

When a Bartender Continues Serving a Patron In Spite of Obvious Intoxication. A bar may be liable for over-serving if a bartender continues to serve drinks to a patron who is very clearly intoxicated to the point that he or she may be a danger to themselves or others.

Under what jurisdiction are you referring?  Cruise ships sail from many different countries, with many different laws.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JCDCA said:

6 drink services at the MDR is flat-out impossible as others have noted.  You are completely exaggerating.  I now doubt he was anything more than having a good time.  

Six drinks is possible. 

Show up with one in hand while arriving. During dinner order 2 at a time, twice.  End dinner with a specialty drink. 

He also could have had their own bottle of wine. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

Not the same in other places, especially resorts or places famous for heavy drinking like the Señor's places in the Caribbean.

2 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Not the same in other places, especially resorts or places famous for heavy drinking like the Señor's places in the Caribbean.

Cruise ships sailing from the US end up following US laws. I’m not going to argue with anyone. It’s pointless. No matter where they are bartenders should be cutting off people that are fall down drunk. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JCDCA said:

What do you get from being so rude to a stranger? 

• Like 3

On 3/3/2020 at 7:32 AM, nadinenurse1 said:

I must say I am embarrassed to post this about my own family.

(middle part)

I am sad embarrassed and not happy with him. 

This is a family issue.  Nothing positive comes from posting it here.  

I have seen 6.  We usually have a relatively large group and take our time over dinner.  The big drinkers in the group hit 6 at times.  Once the waitstaff learns your preferences they often have one ready for you as you are sitting down and they keep them coming.

As far as cutting people off goes, have seen that multiple times.  Sometimes a bartender will tell the person in question there is a time restriction to slow them down, sometimes they will ask them to slow down a little and give a water instead of a cocktail/beer.  And sometimes they will flag their account, not sure if they have to call guest services or a manager to approve the flag, but it happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeachChik said:

Cruise ships sailing from the US end up following US laws. I’m not going to argue with anyone. It’s pointless. No matter where they are bartenders should be cutting off people that are fall down drunk. 

That's definitely not always the case. Many cruise lines for example allow 18+ to drink when in international waters and when docked in a port where the drinking age is 18

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BeachChik said:

Which "US laws" are you referring to?  Laws related to things like this are at the state level, and different states have different laws.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

That's definitely not always the case. Many cruise lines for example allow 18+ to drink when in international waters and when docked in a port where the drinking age is 18

Out of curiosity, which ones?  We are starting to preplan our next cruise (after LIberty in July).  We are looking at January 2022.  My kids will be 18 & 20 at the time.  Would love to book one leaving from the US that they can legally drink on.  

1 minute ago, KsucAts said:

Out of curiosity, which ones?  We are starting to preplan our next cruise (after LIberty in July).  We are looking at January 2022.  My kids will be 18 & 20 at the time.  Would love to book one leaving from the US that they can legally drink on.  

Norwegian Cruise Lines has a waiver for Beer and Wine for under 21.  Royal does not 

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Norwegian Cruise Lines has a waiver for Beer and Wine for under 21.  Royal does not 

Good to know,  I will check that out.  I think that would help with my kids being in that awkward cruising age group.  Even though my daughter, who will be 20, may not want to have any.   She didn't last summer when we were in Ireland and she was 18.  

42 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

Virgin does as well