Over drinking family member unlimited drinks

36 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

It is actually the bartender's responsibility to monitor and not over serve patrons who are obviously past normal intoxication. 

And to the OP, I'm sorry you had to go through this. It's very worrisome to see a family member go through this. Now that you are back, are you or his father able to talk to him about it? If you had video evidence, that would be even better. However, people who drink to that level are often in deep denial. Good luck. 

I agree with your point but the problem is a lot of time it can be difficult to detect if a passenger has had too much too drink, especially if it just a limited exchange when someone walks up to a bar, orders a drink from a bartender, and then leaves. I still stand by my comment that ultimately this is an issue that needs to be addressed by family and/or friends.  I also agree with your last comment that a lot of alcoholics are in denial. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

When I was in college back in the Reagan years bars used to have "Drink or Drown." For five bucks you got four of five hours of free alcohol. I would pay a dollar for a longneck because the cups of draft were so awful. I think the state Beverage Control finally banned this, just as many states ban the advertisement of "happy hours." The idea is that those who serve alcohol should not do so in a way that encourages over-consumption.

Unfortunately, that's what the cruise line drink packages do. One has to drink quite a bit to get one's money's worth, and there's just a tendency to drink more when you've already plunked down a substantial sum of money for unlimited alcohol. Having these drink packages is just bad policy.

As for allowing family members or friends to "flag" those who might be drinking too much, there is a problem, in that there is little agreement on how much is "too much." It might have been obvious in your case, but just as sure as they put the policy into effect someone would be reported for having three drinks in one day.

If he was over served and hurt himself or someone else Royal may have been liable so I'm surprised that there's nothing they would do to ensure everyone's safety. Some people turn ugly when that drunk. Surely they could have done something....anything. 

And to report this thread is just wrong.....it's a legitimate cruise concern. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, nadinenurse1 said:

Thanks Momma  Bear got pictures and video, I am sorry is the reply. We get .. mine to him is constant and insistent..Never again.. you have got a problem here... I did not really know before the cruise how bad as in my  house .. there really is no drinking...we just don’t for no particular reason..  those that did also have the package just had a good time trying out things they never had before, had real fun as well and did not go overboard..... he has apologized to the family on the cruise , and after in Disney.. still this kids got a problem... is our kinda adopted son.... we are all worried about him,  and I am highly annoyed as well as the great vacation we were to have now has this nasty over lay on it......   I did not know Carnival has limits ... kudos to them... and still I was on their boats as well.. saw many people like my kid was....really have not seen this yet on RCI. And my third cruise w them

It’s interesting, for lack of a better word, that Carnival has a reputation for party ships, yet they only allow 15 alcoholic drinks per day with Cheers (their drink package). RCI on the other hand has no limit to their drink package. Having said that, I have witnessed far worse, drunken behavior on Carnival ships. 

I'm sorry you and your family have to deal with this.

But the young man has a problem.  He needs help.  Is there someone who can guide him? 

Is there someone who can help you deal with him?  Al-Anon?

Good luck.

Edited by puppycanducruise
  • Haha 1

Bartenders should not be serving someone clearly over the limit. However, he is an adult who paid for his beverage package (presumably) and you can't make the call to have him flagged unfortunately. You just have to hope that individual servers will take note if you tell them to pay attention to his intoxication. 

It's frustrating to watch and not be able to stop it. I get it. I have been in this situation as a family member. I'm a nurse as well and if I see things like this I want to intervene but outside of a clinical setting there's only so much you can do.

• Like 1

Such a difficult situation. We would've simply monitored his actions so he won't be a danger to himself or others.

Royal wouldn't take the liability of having to monitor your stepson.  We have, on a few occasions, observed bartenders onboard who politely stopped serving passengers who are obviously too drunk.

Every man is his own shop Steward.

The young man lost control, Has apologized. If he learned his lesson or not will show in the future. For some this behavior may be totally unacceptable at anytime. I think if your going to get carried away then While on vacation and in the confines of a ship is good place to learn the errors of your ways.

• Like 2

I find the notion that RCCL shouldn't be liable for someone's behavior while being served aboard their ships to be puzzling.  All establishments and individual bartenders are responsible for this on dry land, and this responsibility certainly doesn't change onboard.  I guarantee you that the bartenders are trained to look for warning signs that someone needs to be cut off.  Profuse sweating in an otherwise cool bar.  Blood shot eyes.  Inability to track something smoothly with their eyes. Staggering.  Slurring words.  The obvious stuff and the not so obvious.  When you return to the same bartender and he's already pouring you the next one, he's not just trying to provide you with good service, he's paying attention to how much and what you are drinking.

I am cruising next month with RCCL and have booked the AYCD package.  I plan to get drunk every night, but I want to keep it at the "Karaoke Superstar" level rather than the incoherent, black out level.  So, I try to go to the same bartender and order the same drinks.  The issue would come if I've had a few drinks and feel good, but not stupid and somebody suddenly hands me a really stiff drink and I don't realize it.   Then thing can go downhill fast.  That's why I stick with the same stuff and the same staff.  I'll also start alternating drinks with bottled water to pace myself.  Eventually, I'll get tired of spending so much time in the bathroom, and I'll just call it a night.  It also wouldn't surprise me if the bartenders are trained to be more conservative with their pours on mixed drinks as the night goes on to keep people from getting in trouble. 

I suspect that the cruise lines are paying pretty close attention to this stuff.  They don't want people with packages getting drinks for those who don't or buying for people who are underage.  It may not be obvious, but it is surely taking place in the busier bars.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mississippian said:

When I was in college back in the Reagan years bars used to have "Drink or Drown." For five bucks you got four of five hours of free alcohol. I would pay a dollar for a longneck because the cups of draft were so awful. I think the state Beverage Control finally banned this, just as many states ban the advertisement of "happy hours." The idea is that those who serve alcohol should not do so in a way that encourages over-consumption.

Unfortunately, that's what the cruise line drink packages do. One has to drink quite a bit to get one's money's worth, and there's just a tendency to drink more when you've already plunked down a substantial sum of money for unlimited alcohol. Having these drink packages is just bad policy.

As for allowing family members or friends to "flag" those who might be drinking too much, there is a problem, in that there is little agreement on how much is "too much." It might have been obvious in your case, but just as sure as they put the policy into effect someone would be reported for having three drinks in one day.

Lets say on average you pay $60 dollars a day for the drink package. I realize some get it even cheaper but lets just say $60. At $12 dollars per cocktail thats only 5 drinks a day to hit that price point to break even. At $7 a beer thats roughly 9 beers a day. To me, the 5 cocktails is not quite a bit for a whole day. Lets say 2 mimosa or blood marys for breakfast, maybe a cocktail during the day, and a couple drinks at night. Really doesnt take much to hit the drink package price

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bearsfan82 said:

Lets say on average you pay $60 dollars a day for the drink package. I realize some get it even cheaper but lets just say $60. At $12 dollars per cocktail thats only 5 drinks a day to hit that price point to break even. At $7 a beer thats roughly 9 beers a day. To me, the 5 cocktails is not quite a bit for a whole day. Lets say 2 mimosa or blood marys for breakfast, maybe a cocktail during the day, and a couple drinks at night. Really doesnt take much to hit the drink package price

Also consider that you get premium coffee drinks, fruit juices and soda as part of the package and the number of drinks to break even is even less.  Hence, there shouldn't be a huge motivation "to get your monies worth".  You can do that pretty easily without losing your mind.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, trey420 said:

With the high cost of that drink package, you're going to want to get your money's worth out of it.  Not excusing him, but that just makes sense.  There ain't much you can do to stop a grown man with an all you can drink card.  Next time, no invite to him.  I'd tell him my issue.  

And as prices go up people will most likely drink more in an attemp to get their money's worth.

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Sorry, you may have misunderstood (my fault entirely).  I reported the original post to the mods.... this has nothing to do do with cruising; it’s about alcohol abuse.  Believe me, I know that is a serious topic that needs to be addressed somewhere other than Cruise Critic.

Nothing to do with cruising?  Seriously?

The OP is asking about behavior related to a drink package sold by the cruise line.  The OP is asking about bartenders on a cruise ship.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, smakl said:

@Bearsfan82 you can take it even further and subtract the difference between the refreshment pkg and the alcohol pkg and I think it's like 3 drinks and 4 beers a day.  Most people do drink bottled water and sodas also.

Yeah exactly my point. There really shouldnt be a motivation to get your monies worth by over drinking for that reason. Over drink because you like it not because you dont want to waste money.

4 minutes ago, Bearsfan82 said:

Yeah exactly my point. There really shouldnt be a motivation to get your monies worth by over drinking for that reason. Over drink because you like it not because you dont want to waste money.

Ideally people would not over drink for either of those reasons but I suspect their are people who over drink for each of those reasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Reported to mods.

What??? Why in the world would you do this? If you don't like the questions or comments then just move on. I never understood the need to control such things!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Probably wondering what other people in this situation have done that might help them on their next cruise. Maybe hoping RC will notice and add the ability to put flags on SeaPass accounts. A reminder to the rest of us that the drink package gives you the incentive to drink more than you usually might. 

On the plus side, the stepson was not drinking and driving. 

I hope the wife doesn't see this she will put a block on mine.

4 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

With so many bars on board these large ships it would be difficult to monitor an individual's drinking pattern.

A solution would be to limit the number of daily  alcoholic drinks allowed on a package like Carnival does.

Why penalise everyone for the mistakes of the few.

Carnival limits the drinks you can have in the package they don't stop you buying more drinks and charging them to your account.

Edited by DaiC01
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaiC01 said:

Why penalise everyone for the mistakes of the few.

That's the way a civilized society works. You create laws, rules, regulations, and guidelines for the few. Otherwise you have anarchy.

Imagine no speed limits or traffic control signals. Sure, 90% of the people would be courteous and/or drive according to safe road conditions. The other 10% would be maniacs and put the other 90% in harms way.

You've always got that one moron who screws it up for everyone else.

3 hours ago, nadinenurse1 said:

Well that was a odd comment why did I post I can't shut out any other way, why do any of us post ... to share ...for knowledge ...to process..maybe to get RC to keep,alerts  ... gotta use your card which totals the drinks. So when a  person drinks 25 drinks a day ca yepn someone say he that’s Too  much

You seapss account does keep track of every swipe. Although, I'm not sure it can track what kind of beverage was swiped. I'm sure, somehow, management can access that information, especially if there were an investigation. 

1 minute ago, klfrodo said:

That's the way a civilized society works. You create laws, rules, regulations, and guidelines for the few. Otherwise you have anarchy.

Imagine no speed limits or traffic control signals. Sure, 90% of the people would be courteous and/or drive according to safe road conditions. The other 10% would be maniacs and put the other 90% in harms way.

You've always got that one moron who screws it up for everyone else.

Agree but Laws and regulations are created over time not by Knee jerk reaction to one situation, if this was a common problem on RC cruise ships don't you think they would have already done something about it.

• Like 1