Will Princess Work with People

mcrcruiser

Because we  are very high risk to the corona virus . We are in our 80s &  have underlying medical conditions we had to cancel ( 2) B2B  ,7 night cruises  sailing in April . I askedPrincess  if we could   move the funds to a future cruise date  .  We got a negative reply & had to pay almost $1300 in cancellation fees . 

We would gladly take cruises when there was not such a great risk   on a heavily populated Royal Princess (3600 plus crew ) .If just one person brought the virus on board the same problem as  on the  Diamond Princess would occur  

In fact already there is a case of unknown corona virus in northern California where one of the 2 cruises is headed  & now the state & federal ,CDC  must follow up on 8400 potential  corona virus  people .If any one of these were to board the ship;as a example  ,there would be a serious outbreak  & the prospect for another Diamond Princess   high illness rates 

My question is should Princess   waive cancellation fees to people who are of high risk & wish to postpone their funds toward a future cruise & gain good will  during  this  pandemic  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t want to sound insensitive, but this is why people buy cancel for any reason insurance. You never know what will happen. I spend a lot of money on insurance just in case something unexpected happens. These cruise lines are currently losing money hand over fist and I don’t think I can blame them for holding people to the contract they agreed to. If you’re in your 80’s and not in great health, you should have bought insurance. 

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KruzPrincess said:

I don’t want to sound insensitive, but this is why people buy cancel for any reason insurance. You never know what will happen. I spend a lot of money on insurance just in case something unexpected happens. These cruise lines are currently losing money hand over fist and I don’t think I can blame them for holding people to the contract they agreed to. If you’re in your 80’s and not in great health, you should have bought insurance. 

We had insurance for illness & death cancellation .  We come to find out that NO insurance is valid including  CFNR  insurance during the time of a pandemic   

This is a world  issue  & now a American issue  . 

We can't tell you the numbers of people that will cancel cruises because of this  pandemic but ,it will be many . Imo a good will   gesture  would make for a far better business climate in the future  . In our case we will think many many times  about cruises as a vacation option & we had done 88 of them to date  .So much easier to cancel a hotel  & no penalties

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree at age 80 and older, you have to insure you’re self.   It’s the only way to protect you’re investment.   I did, I’m 64.  And yes it could take me out too.  I’ll find out in 10 days.   But I’m still going.

i really don’t get concerned, with thing like this.  I just follow the CDC guides and watch my P’s and Q’s. And just be careful...

as for you, I’m sorry that this happen.   But...

I would have waited,  the time now VS the week before would change little.  But they may have canceled the cruise if the Cov19 was out of control...  they wouldn’t want to sacrifice yet another vessel, the Diamond is going to really cost them with the cancelations and cleanup.  

if the Cov19 goes wild... then I would think they princess and other cruise systems may have to put their entire fleet on hold to Allow the pandemic to pass.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We had insurance for illness & death cancellation .  We come to find out that NO insurance is valid including  CFNR  insurance during the time of a pandemic   

We can't tell you the numbers of people that will cancel cruises because of this  pandemic but ,it will be many . Imo a good will   gesture  would make for a far better business climate in the future  . In our case we will think many many times  about cruises as a vacation option & we had done 88 of them to date  .So much easier to cancel a hotel  & no penalties

Was it Princess insurance or another company? I’ve read that some people who have Princess platinum insurance have been able to cancel and are getting a combination of part refund and part future cruise credit. I do understand that this experience may affect your future choices. I know this must be disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KruzPrincess said:

Was it Princess insurance or another company? I’ve read that some people who have Princess platinum insurance have been able to cancel and are getting a combination of part refund and part future cruise credit. I do understand that this experience may affect your future choices. I know this must be disappointing. 

These days it will be better to purchase a maximum insurance coverage. I wouldn't risk going on a cruise without certain type of security. Iam well informed about the basic insurance failures to cover you in case of the force major circumstances. I would rather pay a little more but be safe in case of any circumstances 

• Like 1

I certainly wish they did..but those days are gone😥 to much abuse of the system and quite frankly today  people sharing on social media, what they received and then everyone else expecting the same.  I have been told by Princess they do look at things case by case....but the Corona virus is new territory....

Leaving tomorrow on a Mexican Rivera on the new carnival Panorama, 4000+ haven't cruised them in 40 years..we'll see what happens.....

Edited by land lover
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, KruzPrincess said:

When we book any travel we use our Chase Sapphire  Preferred credit card which insures trip cancellation & trip interruption  up to $10000.00 per person for up to 60 day trip . Like most insurance products , it covers sickness ,health or death reasons  .A doctors letter is necessary . I phoned the benefits dept & they told me that pandemics are not covered even though it does not say that is their booklet information of benefits  .

Because trip insurance becomes very expensive when a person reaches the age of 70  (we understand it can be 10 to 12 % of the entire trip cost ) .We then use the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card for the Trip Cancellation & Trip interruption portion  .The medical & medical evacuation ,we buy separate from Squaremouth.com  ,even though I have medical coverage with our HMO out of the USA  .We have been able to buy  Travel X in the $70 odd dollar range for the medical & med vac portion with baggage included as well .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

When we book any travel we use our Chase Sapphire  Preferred credit card which insures trip cancellation & trip interruption  up to $10000.00 per person for up to 60 day trip . Like most insurance products , it covers sickness ,health or death reasons  .A doctors letter is necessary . I phoned the benefits dept & they told me that pandemics are not covered even though it does not say that is their booklet information of benefits  .

Because trip insurance becomes very expensive when a person reaches the age of 70  (we understand it can be 10 to 12 % of the entire trip cost ) .We then use the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card for the Trip Cancellation & Trip interruption portion  .The medical & medical evacuation ,we buy separate from Squaremouth.com  ,even though I have medical coverage with our HMO out of the USA  .We have been able to buy  Travel X in the $70 odd dollar range for the medical & med vac portion with baggage included as well .

I don’t know if any other insurer or policies would cover this circumstances, but I do know that Princess’s Platinum travel protection, while not offering much medical coverage, does cover “cancel for any reason” which allows you to use the funds on a future cruise.

Because they offer this, and sell it as a profit making product, they are very unlikely to provide its benefits for free when asked.

I’m sorry.

Edited by Buddy604
Typo
  • Like 4

You pay you money & take your chances. Princess is a business that just can't afford to let people cancel whenever they believe things might not be safe. 

Better insurance comes to mind or stick with a land based vacation from now on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Think you mean CFAR not CFNR. At any rate, Princess Platinum insurance does not require a reason. But you have to rebook within a certain time period. And yes, you should stick to land vacations where you drive as flights & trains also won't refund cash and not all hotels offer free cancelation reservations.  Maybe you should just do staycation? 

• Like 3

We have always purchased Princess Platinum insurance and have had to use it twice.  One time was because of a serious medical issue with a parent (who was not part of our booking) and the other time was a “for any reason” issue of potentially bad weather issue.  Would not sail without the for any reason coverage.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Princess Platinum insurance - minimum $ 39 pp or 8% of cruise fare - whichever is greater 

we buy it every cruise - not an option for us not to

This is a weird balancing act. I think Princess has crappy insurance for medical. There is no way I would ever count on Princess's insurance for medical. If anyone has dealt with medical issues, $20K does not go far for coverage. My health insurance doesn't cover me well outside of the US.

So if I want Cancel for Any Reason through Princess - I need to double insure. This last cruise I double insured and spent over $400 on each insurance policy (I am still under 50 so have age on my side). I had to make final payment before COVID-19 was an issue.

If you are always cruising to the Caribbean, it may not be as big of an issue as others who cruise elsewhere. 

• Like 4

Yes they do.

It is unfortunate that you did not purchase their cancel for any reason insurance and unreasonable for you to expect them to pay you the benefits that come with purchasing it when you chose not to.

Edited by cruiseesusee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are sailing at the end of April. Unfortunately we did not purchase cancellation insurance - I see now that that was really dumb of me. Does anyone know if it is too late to purchase it now from Princess as it is about 60 days until we sail. We have paid our cruise and ezair flight in full. I really do not want to cancel - but if this virus gets worse I worry.

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We can't tell you the numbers of people that will cancel cruises because of this  pandemic but ,it will be many . Imo a good will   gesture  would make for a far better business climate in the future  .

Good will gestures always seem like a good idea as long as it's someone else's money.  

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, imsailin said:

Does anyone know if it is too late to purchase it now from Princess as it is about 60 days until we sail. 

Great question and I hope others can offer a better response than:

> USAA requires that it be purchased within 30 days of booking

> Princess has an option to add / upgrade to platinum at booking

If / when you call Princess, please post their response as inquiring minds will want to know what Aon Affinity's policy is 

Edited by Ombud

20 minutes ago, imsailin said:

We are sailing at the end of April. Unfortunately we did not purchase cancellation insurance - I see now that that was really dumb of me. Does anyone know if it is too late to purchase it now from Princess as it is about 60 days until we sail. We have paid our cruise and ezair flight in full. I really do not want to cancel - but if this virus gets worse I worry.

It must be purchased by final payment. Yes -- too late.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

I have trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance thru my credit card. I have contacted my travel agent and the insurance. I was told by everyone I talked to that since it has been declared an epidemic by the CDC that insurances will not cover, even cancel for no reason.  They said to read the fine print. I would advise checking with your insurance, etc and see what you hear. Please let us know.

I have to say this is "unchartered waters" here. SARS and Ebola didn't spread like this.

A lot of people did due diligence here and did buy insurance. Maybe not cancel for any reason but to cover them for medical issues. No one expected COVID-19 to come up. This is all new.

I would not be quick to criticize the OP. He did have insurance - just not what would cover for this. A month ago, none of knew we had to cover this. We shouldn't all have to double insure to make sure medical is covered (Princess insurance covers poorly) and for CFAR.

Honestly - the last thing that Princess needs is another "Diamond Princess" where the picture of the ship is on the front page of many news websites and the start of many news segments on tv.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1