VP Pence to meet with Cruise lines

6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Honestly, what possible action could come out of such a meeting?

I dunno....just spitballin' here....

Maybe something like "Is there anything the fed govt could do to help you with screening,  etc?"

Time will tell. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

My guess is he is introducing himself and letting the cruise lines know it's business as usual for the time being in the US, but should this outbreak get a lot worse, cruises in the US may be suspended.  I would think he is having similar meetings with other businesses in the travel sector.

• Like 2

Most of the media delivery is all fear-mongering. Accurate information about the Coronavirus can be found from sources such as the World Health Organization. I’m not saying they shouldn’t put parameters on the cruise industry...what I’m saying is that it’s not just about the cruise industry. It’s a much bigger picture. If they stop the cruise industry, then be prepared for other much bigger life-changing issues as well. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

I dunno....just spitballin' here....

Maybe something like "Is there anything the fed govt could do to help you with screening,  etc?"

Time will tell. 

This^^^. A face to face exchange is the best way to exchange concerns and ideas.

• Like 5

Maybe it’s an “In the event” type of meeting. To set a certain protocol and have everyone on the same page. 

I hope this isn’t going to turn into a political bashing thread. 

Edited by Midwestgal
  • Like 6

I think they probably want to make sure what happened in Japan doesnt happen here, and what are the cruise lines doing to make sure it doesnt.  Sounds like another meeting that could have been done over email or phone.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KelSny1011 said:

I think they probably want to make sure what happened in Japan doesnt happen here, and what are the cruise lines doing to make sure it doesnt.  Sounds like another meeting that could have been done over email or phone.  

Exactly!  Why waste taxpayer money?

• Like 2

It probably could have been done with e-mail or phone, but face-to-face is much better. imo

Far from a waste of tax-payer money. I can mention way more then these meetings when it comes to waste. Just saying.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

It probably could have been done with e-mail or phone, but face-to-face is much better. imo

Far from a waste of tax-payer money. I can mention way more then these meetings when it comes to waste. Just saying.

Oh I agree, this is definitely not the only such meeting that is a waste of taxpayer money!

• Like 1

Because they are meeting fact to face, there is criticism.  If they didn't meet face to face, there would still be criticism.  There are way too many armchair quarterbacks out there.  

We've had around 6, mostly elderly, deaths out there, and everyone is in a panic.  Why not the same response to all the killings in Chicago every weekend?  🍷

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Because they are meeting fact to face, there is criticism.  If they didn't meet face to face, there would still be criticism.  There are way too many armchair quarterbacks out there.  

We've had around 6, mostly elderly, deaths out there, and everyone is in a panic.  Why not the same response to all the killings in Chicago every weekend?  🍷

Because it's like comparing apples to llamas. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Because it's like comparing apples to llamas. 

Naw... not really. The death of an elderly person from CV that was on a cruise ship vs the death of a young black man shot in Chicago is..... well....still death. The only difference I see is that one is hyped by the media and the later is now the norm.

But the end results are the same. Death. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

I have been on the line of thinking this was totally overblown since the beginning and that there are much larger fish to fry that cause way many more deaths.  However,  I have slowly come around to accept the fact that this is actually a real problem.   The main reason for it is that unlike many other things that cause death, such as drunk driving, mass shootings, flu, etc.  This is in its infancy and can grown exponentially.  While we only at 3k deaths,  this has only been going on since early Jan and just recently started to explode.

Gang shootings are not going to suddenly grow 10 fold and kill a couple thousand a day.  Mass shootings while awful are not going to kill potentially hundreds of thousands of people if unchecked.  They are growing but the growth is not on a logarithmic level scale.  Neither is drunk driving or the majority of death causing things out there.

Initially I thought that the death percentage is way overblown, and still do to some degree due to lack of finding a symptomatic cases,   But the WHO has stated they aren’t finding that “tip of the iceberg” phenomenon.  This can be exhibited by the fact that the Washington nursing home didn’t have a ton of patients who were completely asyptomatic testing positive and in general while the world is testing a ton of people we just aren’t lowering the death rate like expected.

South Korea is interesting in that their death rate is notably lower than the rest of the world.  I am not sure if their demographics are different in terms of if more young people are contracting the virus there than other places.

The most interesting thing is that this virus, unlike the flu, seems to primarily effect older people and not very young AND elder population like the flu does.  Flu can be absolutely deadly in young infants and this has yet to record a single neonatal death thus far.  I am sure researchers are hard at work trying to answer that question.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

We should all know about the past so history isn’t repeated. This is a long, scientific article about the 1918 pandemic that killed 50 million people but has relevant (written before corona virus) information about today.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

Thanks you for posting this link.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Naw... not really. The death of an elderly person from CV that was on a cruise ship vs the death of a young black man shot in Chicago is..... well....still death. The only difference I see is that one is hyped by the media and the later is now the norm.

But the end results are the same. Death. 

Naw....really.  Totally unrelated straw man argument; nothing to do with current topic and situation developing. 

Why are we talking about Coronavirus when fruit and vegetables are being removed from grammar school lunches?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, time4u2go said:

well, since another Princess ship is being held offshore from San Francisco due to sick passengers and a crew member - Why Not have a discussion?  

Check the Princess board for more info. 

Edited by BSocial
spelling
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

"Don't want to pay us taxes? We will be closing the ports for safety of our citizens.  Please take your foreign flagged vessels to their homeports" 

Now that would be very ironic coming from an administration that is very proud to not pay US taxes either and defends that by saying they are just playing by the rules and that is being smart - exactly what the cruise industry does.

I'll save judgement until next week when (or if) we find out what they discuss in the meeting.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Now that would be very ironic coming from an administration that is very proud to not pay US taxes either and defends that by saying they are just playing by the rules and that is being smart - exactly what the cruise industry does.

I'll save judgement until next week when (or if) we find out what they discuss in the meeting.  

Ironic yes, but if the disease continues to spread, rightly or wrongly, it will be a "Cruise Industry" disease and the optics of telling the industry to pound sand and take their disease barges to Nassau, Malta, and Panama will play well with a huge majority of U.S> citizens. 

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Ironic yes, but if the disease continues to spread, rightly or wrongly, it will be a "Cruise Industry" disease and the optics of telling the industry to pound sand and take their disease barges to Nassau, Malta, and Panama will play well with a huge majority of U.S> citizens. 

I don't see it.  The flu isn't viewed as a cruise ship disease.  Grounding airlines will have more effect to stop the spread.  

So you think this meeting is to inform the cruise leaders that the US is closing its borders?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

Given the distribution of Covid 19 it would have and did spread even without cruise ships.  From my experience with 8 flights 2 weeks ago through Europe I would place more blame on the airlines and individual countries for failing to get behind this quick enough.  The cruise lines had far more rigorous screening measures in place.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

???

The cruise line industry is not spreading the virus.  All they are doing is taking people on board who should have been tested- but have not and can not due to policy that prevents testing unless *reasons*.  Just like all neighborhoods around the US.  

Had the CDC been prepared, and started gaming up the system once the virus was known a few months ago, the testing process would be a lot more effective in finding and tracing the virus.  Instead, we get denial, hiding, and calling this a hoax.  

Now that California is dealing directly with it, perhaps they will be capable of tracking it.  Given that they are the 5th largest economy in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1