VP Pence to meet with Cruise lines

17 minutes ago, BSocial said:

well, since another Princess ship is being held offshore from San Francisco due to sick passengers and a crew member - Why Not have a discussion?  

Check the Princess board for more info. 

Last I saw the news, it's because the person who died in California was on the previous cruise, not the current one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

So you think this meeting is to inform the cruise leaders that the US is closing its borders?

I honestly don't think this administration has any actionable game plan and the meeting was for optics; probably VP soliciting info from top cruise line execs about what they are planning to do and then VP runs it back up the flag pole.  I doubt much that he threatened the industry.  There are tens of thousands of American workers who would end up unemployed or living without steady income if the industry was disrupted.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, alfaeric said:

???

The cruise line industry is not spreading the virus. 

The average American won't buy a corona beer or eat chinese food, you think they are sophisticated enough to recognize it is not a problem started or caused by the cruise industry??  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

We should all know about the past so history isn’t repeated. This is a long, scientific article about the 1918 pandemic that killed 50 million people but has relevant (written before corona virus) information about today.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

Thank you for the link, it was very interesting!

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

The average American won't buy a corona beer or eat chinese food, you think they are sophisticated enough to recognize it is not a problem started or caused by the cruise industry??  

Given that you are the one suggesting that all the ships go back to their flagged ports, and you say that- thank you for clarifying your position and opinions.  

Just now, alfaeric said:

Given that you are the one suggesting that all the ships go back to their flagged ports, and you say that- thank you for clarifying your position and opinions.  

I'm not suggesting that they do; we are speculating what the meeting was about.  I absolutely think for optics this administration would offer that kind of directive. 

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Given the distribution of Covid 19 it would have and did spread even without cruise ships.  From my experience with 8 flights 2 weeks ago through Europe I would place more blame on the airlines and individual countries for failing to get behind this quick enough.  The cruise lines had far more rigorous screening measures in place.

To each their own.  I have had correspondence with one of the cruise lines.  They confirmed that based on documents such as passports and birth certificates they cannot determine if you have been to high risk areas of the world so they are depending upon people telling them.  Also, some people may be asymtpomatic, in the incubation period, or exhibit a mild cold and will not be denied boarding where they may be able to pass it along to those on the ship who may have higher risk factors.  And if you came near somebody who had it you may not know.    From others who have been boarding recently they are not necessarily taking temperatures (not that motrin cannot temporarily eradicate a fever).  I feel more comfortable on our direct flights from a smaller airport than I do about the petri dish of a cruise ship.  Again, to each their own.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, travelgirl528 said:

To each their own.  I have had correspondence with one of the cruise lines.  They confirmed that based on documents such as passports and birth certificates they cannot determine if you have been to high risk areas of the world so they are depending upon people telling them.  Also, some people may be asymtpomatic, in the incubation period, or exhibit a mild cold and will not be denied boarding where they may be able to pass it along to those on the ship who may have higher risk factors.  And if you came near somebody who had it you may not know.    From others who have been boarding recently they are not necessarily taking temperatures (not that motrin cannot temporarily eradicate a fever).  I feel more comfortable on our direct flights from a smaller airport than I do about the petri dish of a cruise ship.  Again, to each their own.

I agree with you that it is up to individual travellers to be honest but the airlines were not even taking the same steps as the cruise lines were when I travelled which was the point of my post. 

37 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Naw....really.  Totally unrelated straw man argument; nothing to do with current topic and situation developing. 

Why are we talking about Coronavirus when fruit and vegetables are being removed from grammar school lunches?

So it appears the deaths of multiple black men shot in Chicago is now longer a current topic and has become less important than the newest current topic of one elderly man returning from a cruise and dying of CV. 

Kids? Veggies? @ schools? Yep that’s a winner. Commercial $$$$$ all over it! 

18 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I'm not suggesting that they do; we are speculating what the meeting was about.  I absolutely think for optics this administration would offer that kind of directive. 

In certain markets I would say absolutely. The cruise lines are being slow to move on this. They have more $$$$ to lose yet at the expense of the populations. By now, RCL should have cancelled all Italy ports. They haven’t yet. 

53 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Last I saw the news, it's because the person who died in California was on the previous cruise, not the current one.

From what I heard, I believe the concern is with the group of  B2B cruisers who started their journey with the deceased cruiser, who are on board with this current cruise.  

(crew, also)

Edited by BSocial
Added crew
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Wow....just wow....🙄

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

So it appears the deaths of multiple black men shot in Chicago is now longer a current topic and has become less important than the newest current topic...

You used the phrase less important, not me.  Those aren't my words.  Your words.  

I said it is completely unrelated to this topic.  Coronavirus has a lot to do with cruising and is a relevant topic.  Shootings in Chicago have no immediate impact on the cruise industry. 

You're trying very hard to get that square peg into the round hole 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

38% of Americans won't drink Corona beer due to Coronavirus.  

No, I don't think many Americans are that bright.  

Based on a survey of 737 people conducted by an ad company. 

Wow......

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

You used the phrase less important, not me.  Those aren't my words.  Your words.  

I said it is completely unrelated to this topic.  Coronavirus has a lot to do with cruising and is a relevant topic.  Shootings in Chicago have no immediate impact on the cruise industry. 

You're trying very hard to get that square peg into the round hole 

Very ironic considering how many here are constructing a fictional narrative which comports with their own biases, of a meeting which hasn't occurred yet. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Wow......

What do you think occurred in the meeting with our Vice President or are you only interested in personal attacks? Let's stay on topic.  The administration is looking for guidance from the cruise industry, not the other way around.  What are your thoughts and opinions on what occurred 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

What do you think occurred in the meeting with our Vice President or are you only interested in personal attacks? Let's stay on topic.  The administration is looking for guidance from the cruise industry, not the other way around.  What are your thoughts and opinions on what occurred 

The meeting hasn't occurred yet.

Edit:  care to point out the personal attack?

Edited by 3CatsInMA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It all makes perfect sense to me.

Meet with Airlines because they offer the largest opportunity for spread of virus into new locales.

Meet with Cruise ships because they offer the largest opportunity for community spread of the virus into a concentrated population.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airlines-whitehous/white-house-set-to-meet-with-senior-airline-cruise-industry-officials-idUSKBN20P2FC

Both are great conversations to have as the government works to try and contain outbreak until a clear treatment regiment is known.  At the same time, considering the vast majority of cases present themselves with nothing more than mild cold symptoms the hysteria needs to get slapped back into the bottle.  Don't expect that anytime soon though....its too good for the ratings.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Big_G said:

My guess is one's opinion of the need for this meeting is grounded in political bias but it's just a guess so I could be wrong. 🙄

I think the meeting is a positive step and the optics are important.  A simple statement can go a long way in calming people.

"Protect yourself and your community from coronavirus with common sense precautions: wash your hands, stay home when sick and listen to the @CDCgov

and local health authorities. Save the masks for health care workers. Let’s stay calm, listen to the experts, and follow the science."

• Like 2