March 7th, 2020 Carnival Panorama Delayed Embarkation

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think they meant before the cruise, ie a source for the virus before the 7 day cruise

Possibly.  I really am not aware what is going on in Mexico with this; but with overlapping ports between all of these ships there are chances people carrying the virus could have been in the same tourist spots during the incubation period.  Not trying to pitch a conspiracy, but looking for common links between guests of these various west coast ships over past couple of weeks 

• Like 1

This is why Carnival sent the letter yesterday about canceling and OBC. They are trying to give people an out before it comes to these situations and people are displaced waiting to embark. I see why people would want to cancel and not deal with this. So many people on the Panorama missed flights home today. 

Got the official word! Negative!!

Carnival Panorama 03/07/2020: Great news! The COVID-19 test results came back negative. Embarkation for your cruise will now take place tomorrow from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM (PDT). All guests must be on board by 2:30 PM (PDT) and we will sail shortly after. Again, thank you for your patience and cooperation. See you soon!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I will find out the answer to this in the morning, but, here’s my situation.

Day 7 of this trip was to be my 25th day at sea. Now we will be a six day voyage. Curious to see if I get a red or gold card tomorrow. My paperwork says gold but the real test will be checking-in.

Will follow up. 

36 minutes ago, InspireLiberty said:

Day 7 of this trip was to be my 25th day at sea. Now we will be a six day voyage. Curious to see if I get a red or gold card tomorrow. My paperwork says gold but the real test will be checking-in.

Will follow up. 

36 minutes ago, InspireLiberty said:

Will follow up. 

Really?...Hope there are no cruisers still trying to find a room tonight.....Civilians!

• Like 1

What. A. Day.

There were still employees at the Long Beach terminal when I left for the evening. People were picking up their luggage that was made available by the head porters, I think. Regular porters had been home for hours by that time.

Sure, this is a novel situation for Carnival, but what hurts me most is the total lack of any credible information. How are/were we supposed to keep guests content if we do not receive any information? Most people were actually taking things surprisingly well until that dreaded e-mail. The subcontracted port services management had learned something from last fall's Singapore journey cruise departure when people were waiting for hours with out any water. At least they were handing out water bottles this time.

I understand that coronavirus testing takes hours and hours, but why not call it a day EARLY ENOUGH to allow for people to make arrangements for hotels and such. Not coming out with the news at 7-7:30 PM that oh yeah, we are done for the day, come back tomorrow. I had no access to news while at work, and many guests seemed to know more than I did.

Understandably people who couldn't get through by phone to Carnival's guest care were wondering about cancellations and refunds and similar questions. What do you tell the guest/s when all you are accustomed to doing is taking care of check-in process and credit card deposits?

I really feel for anybody who was at the terminal today and has to go through that ordeal tomorrow. Leave your luggage (again) with the porters, go inside, check in, go through same security screening, wait, wait some more...  What about people who don't have a credit card or money for a hotel (that were all fully booked), and can't wait for weeks and weeks to be reimbursed?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm "supposed" to be cruising on the IMAGINATION tomorrow also, and I got the same letter. Asking me to wait for further instructions on the time of the embarkation for her tomorrow. Does this mean we may board AFTER the PANORAMA has left the dock and we can still board tomorrow ? OR is there going to be a day delay with a shortened cruise from the 4-dayer ?

I feel sorry for those stranded on the ship and those delayed in being unable to board the PANORAMA. This whole cluster is going to cost Carnival a bundle I fear. I realize this is definitely NOT Carnival's fault, but also feel they should provide information in a more timely manner.

First port for the IMAGINATION is Santa Catalina, a mere 26 miles away, so a late late boarding time shouldn't be a problem, IMHO.

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh yeah, they are already struggling to find enough port services staff to help tomorrow. Manager has sent out e-mails asking for all who can to pick up a shift. There are going to be sooooo many people calling out, subcontracted port services agents don't want deal with this crap from an unappreciative company for a CA minimum wage.

Apparently Panorama will disembark first, then embark, and later Imagination is touted to come in the afternoon and be out of the port by 9:30 PM. Shuttled guests (Imagination) are already mad about the shuttles to the parking lot. How about tomorrow?

Tomorrow is a new day, let's see what happens...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, InspireLiberty said:

Will follow up. 

Card was printed weeks ago. You will get the Gold card the issue will be in your cruise history but your next cruise will put you over the level so will not matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe everyone involved has learned how to handle these situations better. I appreciate the precautions, clearly they don't know what they are doing. Good luck to the embarking guests today. Lets hope next Saturday is less of a disaster at the terminal.

• Like 2

Inherent in the email Carnival sent me concerning the "intended" boarding TODAYof the IMAGINATION was a phrase:

Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you have heard from us. If you haven't done so already, please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL5 to CRUISE (278473).

I have a fantastic Samsung Galaxy10+ phone, but an 80-year-old brain. How am I supposed to do this. Why don't they just email me as they have with this letter. I live close to the port so I'm just going to go there anyway, but would appreciate some kind of notice about what is happening. Is the IMAGINATION going to embark today, although obviously at a later time, or what and if so, at what time ?

• Like 1

Well, to all who are waiting to get on or off, while I am sure  there are many frustrations, the way it worked out is optimal, a total and utter disaster at the state local level.  

Why is this all the locals fault? Yesterday you were saying this was all the CDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Gary, 

On your phone, start the messaging app, and put the numbers listed above where you would normally put a phone number. Then, type CCL5 as the message and hit the SEND button.

Thank you so much, Wanna Cruize. You can teach old dogs new tricks. LOL 🙂

• Like 2

Anyone at the Port waiting to embark? I was wondering how crazy it is. We are debating on what time we want to head down. 2 of us are Priority, and the other had a 12:30 time zone yesterday but it didn't seem to say what time that would be today. 

Anyone at the Port waiting to embark? I was wondering how crazy it is. We are debating on what time we want to head down. 2 of us are Priority, and the other had a 12:30 time zone yesterday but it didn't seem to say what time that would be today. 

I was thinking about you last night and hoped you hadn’t made your Mexico plans. God I hope that poor large family in Anaheim has made it to port safely. I feel like I know you guys! Please have a wonderfully relaxing cruise (and i say this despite hating the packers with every bone in my body lol).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

I was thinking about you last night and hoped you hadn’t made your Mexico plans. God I hope that poor large family in Anaheim has made it to port safely. I feel like I know you guys! Please have a wonderfully relaxing cruise (and i say this despite hating the packers with every bone in my body lol).

Thanks! I travel for work and we were very fortunate! I had plenty of free rooms at Hyatt and free car rentals so we have been sitting in the hotel hanging out comfortably. 

• Like 2