Italy quarantine effect?

az_tchr

5 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

don't think the Baltic countries have chimed in yet

Well, Russia is imposing a 14 day quarantine for individuals from certain countries if they are visiting Moscow; let’s see if, in the near future, this is extended to other large cities too e.g. St Petersburg

7 hours ago, cruiseerf said:

So lets Summarize.......USA CDC has advised passengers not to travel on cruise ships.  Canada has the same advisory issued.  Several Molecular biologists were on the news today saying "Cruises are floating Petrie dishes".   Now Italy, Whole country is closed....nobody in or out.....Italian cases top 9000.   France, Spain and Germany are experiencing severe increases of cases day by day, according to Johns Hopkins tracker.  Death toll worldwide has broken 4000.....which is not bad considering 36,500 people died in traffic accidents alone in USA last year.   That said, the Spanish flu started mild and went on to kill 50-100 million people, which started off as a regular virus which changed and morphed become super deadly.   

IMHO, Most of the Med is going to close to cruiseships and the cruiselines are really in a pickle..... Celebrity has The constellation heading empty to Cadiz for it's edgeification....and then Silhouette, Edge, Reflection and Infinity are due to cross over.....Thats 5 ships in Europe where nobody may be able to get on or off at any ports for the next few months at least......Talk about a "Soft Season".......I think Celebrity needs to announce their plans ASAP as I believe they are going to cut capacity in Europe and keep more ships closer to the USA....."For those of us Waiting to hear".....I wish they would communicate intentions sooner rather then later.  

Safe sails to all!   

I think Celebrity is in wait and see mode to cancel at ALL the crossing to Europe.

We will knows by another months when they can't find any docking ports  for the ships in Europe.

Edited by verizon

5 hours ago, verizon said:

I think Celebrity is in wait and see mode to cancel at ALL the crossing to Europe.

We will knows by another months when they can't find any docking ports  for the ships in Europe.

You forgot the new Apex - her first official sailing is 22 days time. But the TA/Press sailings are 18 days time/

I checked all the posts here and then did searches and can’t find it, but does anyone know how extensive the Italy guarantee is. one site said it covers all the Italian regions, but does that include Italian regions that are islands such as Sicily and Sardinia? 

I assumed so, but we all know what ‘assume’ means!

Den

10 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I checked all the posts here and then did searches and can’t find it, but does anyone know how extensive the Italy guarantee is. one site said it covers all the Italian regions, but does that include Italian regions that are islands such as Sicily and Sardinia? 

Den

This says all of Italy is in lockdown in a video that shows many cities virtually deserted :

https://in.reuters.com/video/watch/idOVC4H5IZV

Edited by terrydtx

23 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Den

I read that ALL 20 regions would be affected, so that would include Sicily and Sardinia. 

15 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Edit: Oops, I misunderstood your post that you thought Messina was better than Valletta.....that’s what happens after a nice Irish Whisky Manhattan! 

Den

Too funny! Yep been to Messina three times went to Taormina the first time, second time we were docked there for winds and saw the clock tower (best feature of Messina) and third was a Godfather tour in hills and valleys south of Messina, Been to Valletta once and waved to Prince Charles as his motorcade went through the back streets. It was raining off and on so we didn't venture to the ruins. Gozo was another stop we did in Malta and it was a good stop as well.

Australia has just banned travel to all of Italy effective in 4 hours. Bye cruise. At least Travel Insurance will now refund cruise money that isn’t refundable and airfare. 

Edited by Pushka

On 3/10/2020 at 12:52 AM, cruiseerf said:

That said, the Spanish flu started mild and went on to kill 50-100 million people, which started off as a regular virus which changed and morphed become super deadly.   

It's unfair, IMHO, to continue to compare this to Spanish Flu.  That epidemic was 100 years ago and neither hygiene nor healthcare were anything close to what they are today. 

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

It's unfair, IMHO, to continue to compare this to Spanish Flu.  That epidemic was 100 years ago and neither hygiene nor healthcare were anything close to what they are today. 

On the other hand, global travel as we know it today was non-existent 100 years ago. There has been a highly accelerated spread of the current virus because of the ease and frequency of travel, and it greatly offsets whatever advantages we may enjoy from better hygiene and healthcare. 

• Like 1