Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

That sort of works for us too... 

Michelle decides what she wants, then asks my opinion knowing I dare not say no... 

If I complain later, she says 'but I did ask you'.... 😊

Andy 

+1 so I'm not the only one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davemorton said:

Okay, there has been a lot of talk on various threads about cancelling cruises, and not cancelling cruises.  I am sure someone said they had already cancelled their cruise because or Corona.  I love a list, so, has anyone cancelled a cruise they were meant to be going on?  By this, I mean the cruise is <90 days away and full payment has been made. 

For disclosure, I am away in about 6 weeks I think it is, but still intend to go. 

3 cruises booked.

They would have to drag me screaming off the ship to stop me sailing lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

OP: has anyone cancelled a cruise they were meant to be going on? 

Yes.  Was due to sail in March, cruise fully paid up

Won't be going now.

But that won't be with P&O because you're never going to cruise with them again,are you?

• Like 1

We're still going too.

Seems more for than against.

Harry please don't come on and say we are a small percentage...........it's a bit of fun!

Apologies Harry, it was Know it all, not you. Please forgive me.😟

Edited by happy v
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

My post sounded a bit bumptious,but could not resist.

Nothing of the sort. I've a very good, and some might say weird, sense of humour. I'm not offended by anything you've posted, in fact it's been fun. It lightens the mood a little and we all need to laugh now and then. 

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Nothing of the sort. I've a very good, and some might say weird, sense of humour. I'm not offended by anything you've posted, in fact it's been fun. It lightens the mood a little and we all need to laugh now and then. 

Okay good thank you

Need to sigh off, to put the whippet to bed and pull some rhubarb.

night night.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Aqueous said:

We are fully paid up and due to sail on the 11th May on the Ventura (our first cruise) not sure where she is sailing at the moment. Anyway we are watching to see how this plays out as my wife has health issues.

I too am full paid up and sailing in 11 weeks.  I have health issues and fall into the high risk bracket.  Should I wait until P and O cancel/reschedule?   Can we get our money back?

31 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I too am full paid up and sailing in 11 weeks.  I have health issues and fall into the high risk bracket.  Should I wait until P and O cancel/reschedule?   Can we get our money back?

This might interest you:  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/

It contains a lot of information and possible options - one of which is via travel insurers and could apply to you as a high risk traveller.  For anyone in this category, the insurer could well take the line that it would be cheaper for them to pay out under the cancellation section of the policy than a potentially much larger sum under another section of the policy.

11 hours ago, pete14 said:

Not going to cancel the Iona maiden on May 14. If, heaven forbid, it does happen on the maiden at least it will be somebody on board who carried the virus because we will be the first cruisers on board. 

Like you, we are on the Iona Maiden, have paid in full and won’t cancel. However (and sorry to burst your bubble) we won’t be the first passengers on board. There are usually staff and trade tester ‘cruises’ prior to the first public cruise in order that facilities and staff are tested. Some go to sea, others stay in port. The fact that our cruise is G003 suggests that there are two of these before we board. 

We also have a big cruise in the summer with a massive balance to pay in a couple of months time. Hope that we don’t have to cancel (and thankfully our destinations are currently unaffected by Coronavirus - I think) but if there start to be cruise ship quarantines closer to home then we shall have to reconsider. 

It’s not the prospect of catching the virus that worries me the most (although I hope not to), it’s the prospect of being quarantined in a ships cabin without the space and comforts of home that does so, although we haven’t cancelled either of our two upcoming cruises, we won’t be booking any new ones until this risk has passed. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

This might interest you:  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/

It contains a lot of information and possible options - one of which is via travel insurers and could apply to you as a high risk traveller.  For anyone in this category, the insurer could well take the line that it would be cheaper for them to pay out under the cancellation section of the policy than a potentially much larger sum under another section of the policy.

Just to add to that, if, for example, you find yourself quarantined on the ship for a couple of weeks with all the increased risks of infection that brings, the insurer might have to pay out a lot more than just the cancellation charges.

To put this into perspective, for 80% of people Covid-19 presents no real risks.  For those of us in a high risk category it presents a real risk to life, and the prospect of being confined to a ship (or a hotel for that matter, as in Tenerife) is a real concern - it will also be a concern to the insurer, and you might just get cancellation charges reimburses if you choose that route.

All a matter of personal choice though, depending on individual circumstances, and I can fully understand why most fit, well and young people will continue on cruises that they've paid for, because there's little risk, apart from disruption if quarantined.  As an older person with some health issues it's not a risk I'd take.

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Very many thanks for this Harry.  I will telephone my travel insurance this morning and explain that my cruise itinerary includes Italy.  They already know my pre-existing conditions.  I will see what they say and report back to this board.

Christine

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Very many thanks for this Harry.  I will telephone my travel insurance this morning and explain that my cruise itinerary includes Italy.  They already know my pre-existing conditions.  I will see what they say and report back to this board.

Christine

No problem, Christine - and feedback would be really useful for others in the same position.  Insurers will vary in their attitude to this, but it would be good to hear how you get on.

Regards - Harry

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Like you, we are on the Iona Maiden, have paid in full and won’t cancel. However (and sorry to burst your bubble) we won’t be the first passengers on board. There are usually staff and trade tester ‘cruises’ prior to the first public cruise in order that facilities and staff are tested. Some go to sea, others stay in port. The fact that our cruise is G003 suggests that there are two of these before we board. 

We also have a big cruise in the summer with a massive balance to pay in a couple of months time. Hope that we don’t have to cancel (and thankfully our destinations are currently unaffected by Coronavirus - I think) but if there start to be cruise ship quarantines closer to home then we shall have to reconsider. 

It’s not the prospect of catching the virus that worries me the most (although I hope not to), it’s the prospect of being quarantined in a ships cabin without the space and comforts of home that does so, although we haven’t cancelled either of our two upcoming cruises, we won’t be booking any new ones until this risk has passed. 

Thanks Selborne. I realise there are pre maiden cruises but I am sure all the invited guests (journalists, reviewers, experts etc) will all be shining examples of how to behave onboard and will wash their hands copiously and use their handkerchiefs with gay abandon on the off chance that they may cough or sneeze. Anyway, I cannot see them filling the ship for these pre maiden cruises to nowhere, maybe not even leaving Southampton. Our suite is on the back of the boat so I am hoping they will use more midships cabins for the guests.

• Like 1