Splendor! 14th March 2020 - Live JOINT blog

Hambagahle

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

I agree with you on that--unless it moves-no cruise to Barcelona.

Especially since there would probably be no way of returning home from Barcelona. Airlines worldwide are slashing capacity by up to 90 percent, with some of them shutting down all operations (all of this going into May at least).

19 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

If the Splendor really is going to sit in San Diego for 30 days, they will have to cancel the New York to Barcelona cruise.  Don't you think they will move it near the area in case they left the travel band?

That cruise will not happen. I would be surprised if cruising resumes at all in the Mediterranean this summer 

• Like 1

I have a lifttle more optimism than that based on the slowdown of new cases in China and South Korea, particularly the latter. If Europe/USA can replicate that then by July the worst should be over and maybe cruising can restart.

of course I am assuming that the cruise companies survive

Edited by Belfast Taxman

5 hours ago, Belfast Taxman said:

I have a lifttle more optimism than that based on the slowdown of new cases in China and South Korea, particularly the latter. If Europe/USA can replicate that then by July the worst should be over and maybe cruising can restart.

of course I am assuming that the cruise companies survive

I'd agree that cruise companies will survive--it's just going to take a little time.

9 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Unfortunately, even doctors are guessing.  There is no way to determine when this will subside or if it will subside and return later this year so take everything that you read/hear with a grain of salt.

Well, Belfast Taxman was talking about July 2021 so let's all hope things are better by then!!

So - Ken and I got back to Switzerland early Monday.  Monday afternoon the Federal Council (committee of 7 who run the country) put us on lock down.  All shops aside from supermarkets and pharmacies are closed.  Restaurants, bars etc - closed. Theatres, cinemas too.  We are not supposed to leave our homes unless we are going for a medical appointment or to the supermarket.  In our case though we have a dog to walk and that is OK.  We are also lucky enough to have a small garden but we are going to be stockpiling grass clippings because all the recycling centres are closed.   We are not supposed to use public transport unless it is absolutely vital to do so and the frequency of the trains has been cut in half.  

These measures are in force at least until 19 April.  But I rather think will be continued until mid or end May.    The one that affects me most is that I am not allowed to see my grandchildren.  I qualify as a "high risk" because of my age and apparently children can carry the virus and not be affected by it.   Even with all of this - I am glad to be back in Switzerland...

I hope all who should have been on our cruise stay well.   And we will then all cruise again!

Very glad to hear that you eventually got home.  Things seem to be getting worse by the hour almost now. Here in Scotland schools closing and like everywhere else all events etc stopped. 
Very frightening times for everyone. Stay safe and well,  Jean.

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

The one that affects me most is that I am not allowed to see my grandchildren.  I qualify as a "high risk" because of my age and apparently children can carry the virus and not be affected by it.

Gerry, welcome home, I am so glad that you are safe and sound.  I totally get the point about the grandkids.   The first thing that Jeannie and I did after having to cancel the cruise was to arrange a visit to the grandkids who live in NYC. Now, looks like that is not going to happen.  For now, we will have to make do with Facetime.

Stay safe!

Bob 

I totally forgot about St Patrick's Day.  (Not celebrated here...). I remember on the Roll Call I said I would bring something green to wear - which I did!  

Bob - my "tekkie" granddaughter, 12, said - we'll skype.  Which we will.  Seems like the only thing we can do right now.

Gerry

• Like 1

There were several couples on our roll call that were planning on celebrating their anniversaries on this cruise that was not to be.

So to Mr. and Mrs. Bellagio Cruisers (Sheila and Herb), Mr. and Mrs. Hambagahle (Gerry and Ken), Mr. and Mrs. GOARMY (Jim and Sue) Mr. and Mrs. tnr (Terry and Ray), and any others on our roll call that may have been planning special events on board-

we wish you meaningful celebrations at home, lots of joyous commemorations in the future, and many, many more years of happy traveling together.🥂

Bob and Jeannie 

• Like 2

Bob and Jeannie:

Thanks so much for your kind communication.  Sue and I celebrated our 50th on March 19th, by ourselves (of course) at our Redmond home.  Poignant.  And, with champagne "acquired" during last August-September's BtB Explorer European-U.K. cruises.  That seems like 10 years ago.  Last time I checked the basement stash--three more similar Regent bottles left, again from earlier cruises.  I assume they get better with age, as do we all.    

Our Splendor Anniversary dinner was scheduled at Prime 7 with our TA and spouse; and another couple.  That other couple, Jim and Linda, were at our wedding.  Jim stood-in as Best Man, as my brother was then on his second tour in Vietnam.  As an aside:  Sue and I met my first day back from a year in Vietnam.  That was May, 1969.  Proposed to her six-months later, on my birthday, again on a 19th day (September).  Then, six-months later--Viola!  

BTW:  my brother and his wife are currently aboard HA's Zaandam.  That ship's itinerary was drastically changed on March 14th.  (That initial, dreaded announcement from the Captain.)  No Chilean port would allow passengers' disembarkation for early return home.  My sister-in-law keeps family and friends updated on their ongoing saga.  She reported about six hours ago, advising a difficult reprovisioning process had been completed while at anchor outside a harbor.  Authorities would not allow a dock moorage.   The ship now has fuel and provisions for three weeks. 

After three days hiatus, on the move again.  Not sure where--maybe San Diego, maybe Panama City, maybe Miami.  On the plus-side:  no-one reported ill; no quarantine, and, plenty of wine.  Anticipated landfall (somewhere) is March 30th to get passengers off the ship.  We hope to talk (not meet) again upon their return to their Redmond residence which is about five miles from our home.  Passengers have, generally, kept a positive attitude; interactions with the Crew elicit concerns about where they will go after passengers have left, and their future employment status. 

In other words, same as for everyone in the cruise industry.    

It is our hope that the aforementioned couples (including my brother and spouse who cruised with us on Voyager a few years ago) will rendezvous again aboard a Regent ship when time and tide permit.  

GOARMY!

ronrick1943:

Not-at-all crazy.  We live in King County, WA.  One of the epicenters of outbreak.  Paul and Cecilia are well-aware of what they will probably be returning-to.  Which is uncertainly.     

GOARMY!

3 minutes ago, bissel said:

Boblerm, somewhere you posted a link to an insurance company, Steve someone, owner. I cannot now find that link. I’d be very grateful  if you could post it again.

thanks!

Not Bob but, think you are talking about tripinsurancestore.com the owner is named Steve and he has I believe about 3 staff members who are equally as good as he is.888-407-3854 or 816-282-6858

Not an insurance company perse but, a broker who only recommends and sells the best.  And you pay the same when booking thru them as you would if you book direct.  Great people Recommend them highly.

• Like 1

Thank you, Dave. That’s it! Oh, how I wish I had used him for my upcoming, fully paid for cruise! The person I purchased through just simply refers me to the policy issuer, rather than provide the guidance that Steve and his agents do. A complicated issue for me to grapple with of course.

1 hour ago, bissel said:

Boblerm, somewhere you posted a link to an insurance company, Steve someone, owner. I cannot now find that link. I’d be very grateful  if you could post it again.

thanks!

bissel, here is a link to the Trip Insurance Store web site that will give you far more information about trip insurance than you likely will want to know😄

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

This is Steve's latest blog entry that has the most current information in regard to the current state affairs, which is a rather complex subject

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/