Jim_Iain – East meets West Equinox Caribbean – B2B2B -March 14 to April 4

Jim_Iain

Might be nice to have an empty airline club.   The United Clubs in Chicago are ridiculously crowded.   The Polaris is just a little bit better.   They have closed all restaurants and bars in NYC and surrounds effective tonight.   Curious as to why California and Washington State did not do the same as their outbreak is equally severe and it was more than a week ago.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Might be nice to have an empty airline club.   The United Clubs in Chicago are ridiculously crowded.   The Polaris is just a little bit better.   They have closed all restaurants and bars in NYC and surrounds effective tonight.   Curious as to why California and Washington State did not do the same as their outbreak is equally severe and it was more than a week ago.

They have now. All six counties in the San Francisco Bay Area are now on a mandatory lock down. Starting at midnight you cannot leave your home except to get food and other essential services. All businesses must close except those deemed essential. Restaurants will be closed except for delivery or takeout.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 7:16 AM, keesar said:

I am so used to getting gasoline for generator, filling the tank of the car, and buying batteries/flashlights.  Here we have people loading up with paper towels and toilet paper.  Paper plates are a hot item as well.

Liquor stores are not any busier than usual around here.  

Same as here in Australia. Don't understand the toilet paper fuss, one of our supermarket chains reported that they are selling 7 weeks worth of it in a day.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/companies/coronavirus-woolworths-to-temporarily-close-all-stores-to-replenish-shelves/news-story/8ca0e7918cb95b871ae49e30883de382

4 minutes ago, peter1956 said:

Same as here in Australia. Don't understand the toilet paper fuss, one of our supermarket chains reported that they are selling 7 weeks worth of it in a day.

I don't either. 

But the one that really puzzles me is the bottled water. For decades, we've been told to keep water on hand in case of earthquake. I imagine people in other areas where natural disasters can damage infrastructure are similarly advised. 

Do people think the virus is going to dive underground, damage water mains, and cut off the water supply?!?!

What am I missing?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I don't either. 

But the one that really puzzles me is the bottled water. For decades, we've been told to keep water on hand in case of earthquake. I imagine people in other areas where natural disasters can damage infrastructure are similarly advised. 

Do people think the virus is going to dive underground, damage water mains, and cut off the water supply?!?!

What am I missing?

People are confused.  This woman today was buying a large gasoline can so she could stock up on gasoline.  There is no shortage and the prices are the lowest in years.  

One man admitted he had purchased enough toilet paper to last one year.  Where do you store the cases of paper towels and toilet paper?

51 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I don't either. 

What am I missing?

What is municipal/infrastructure workers, either in your area or further down the supply line, get sick?  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Believe me, California has gone one step further.   We are on a virtually complete shut down.    7 Counties including our county has issued Shelter in Place Orders for all people.   ALL RESTAURANTS, BARS AND EVEN COFFEE SHOPS can remain open but for pickup and/or delivery only.     All businesses except essential services are also shut down. 

I heard one news report today that seems crazy to me.   Tesla's Elon Musk got a designation that auto production was an essential business. 

18 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

They have now. All six counties in the San Francisco Bay Area are now on a mandatory lock down. Starting at midnight you cannot leave your home except to get food and other essential services. All businesses must close except those deemed essential. Restaurants will be closed except for delivery or takeout.

Hope you stay well.  

We didn't hear that until we got home late last evening.   At least a number of the local grocery stores have implemented a special early morning shopping hour for seniors (65 and above).   Not planning on being home for a month we are low on some things like bread and milk.   At least I have a big box of UHT individual size milks.   If all else fails we may bake our own bread.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I don't either. 

What am I missing?

We were saying the same.    I usually drink sparkling water but have a couple cases of regular water in our Earthquake Supplies.    I'm not oppose to drinking water straight from the faucet. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, keesar said:

People are confused.  This woman today was buying a large gasoline can so she could stock up on gasoline.  There is no shortage and the prices are the lowest in years.  

One man admitted he had purchased enough toilet paper to last one year.  Where do you store the cases of paper towels and toilet paper?

Maybe he should have bought a bidet instead....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPaJVTdizP8H5pxaszQuU

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Buckwheel said:

And now you're going home with orders to self isolate for the entire 6 county Bay Area: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/DiseaseInformation/novel-coronavirus/Pages/order-health-officer-031620.aspx

Scary times. Stay safe.

Yes.   It was surprised when I opened my PC when I got home.   I have Google News as my home page.

While it was concerning,  I have never seen such high sanitation standards on the airplane.   Virtually every passenger scrubbed down their seat, trays, and anything within touching distance.   Our flight attendant would wash his hands about every 10-15 minutes.    He left the door open -  not sure if this was to show people what he was doing or to make sure he didn't have to touch the door handle after cleaning.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Might be nice to have an empty airline club.   The United Clubs in Chicago are ridiculously crowded.   The Polaris is just a little bit better.  

We chose to avoid the clubs and chose to social distance instead.  

I was surprised that the bars were open at the airport.   F36CF22E-D5B0-4B64-B417-03846A3F3605.thumb.jpeg.50a7a88750ba317d7e8fbc539ddd48ca.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Believe me, California has gone one step further.   We are on a virtually complete shut down.    7 Counties including our county has issued Shelter in Place Orders for all people.   ALL RESTAURANTS, BARS AND EVEN COFFEE SHOPS can remain open but for pickup and/or delivery only.     All businesses except essential services are also shut down. 

I heard one news report today that seems crazy to me.   Tesla's Elon Musk got a designation that auto production was an essential business. 

My refrigerator/freezer and pantry is well-stocked for our Bay Area lockdown. And I have plenty of toilet paper! 🙄

But I decided to make a panic run yesterday to stock up on wine! While everyone else was flooding Safeway, Trader Joe’s, etc, I headed to Total Wine! Imagine my surprise when the cashier there had just learned they weren’t going to be shut down! Apparently because they also sell water, chips, peanuts, cheese and other nibbles they are deemed “essential”! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, BEAV said:

My refrigerator/freezer and pantry is well-stocked for our Bay Area lockdown. And I have plenty of toilet paper! 🙄

But I decided to make a panic run yesterday to stock up on wine! While everyone else was flooding Safeway, Trader Joe’s, etc, I headed to Total Wine! Imagine my surprise when the cashier there had just learned they weren’t going to be shut down! Apparently because they also sell water, chips, peanuts, cheese and other nibbles they are deemed “essential”! 😉

I got a chuckle out of Jacques Pepin's post yesterday that he received from his daughter.

image.png.14bf5bbb0656a735e7c6a336e6055b9d.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

My husband just flew home from NH.  Atlanta is a ghost town.  Airport was strangely deserted at 9 a.m....interstate a no brake ride.  It’s like something out of the twilight zone.

As it should be now...

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

My husband just flew home from NH.  Atlanta is a ghost town.  Airport was strangely deserted at 9 a.m....interstate a no brake ride.  It’s like something out of the twilight zone.

Happy your husband  made it home safe and sound.   Our flight last night from ORD was about 50% full and they spaced out passengers.  

14 hours ago, eyecantwait said:

I don't have the kind of job where I can work from home but I sure am enjoying the much lighter traffic.

Angela

It is incredible living in one of the areas known for the worst traffic in the U.S. the highways are empty. 

Angela, stay safe.

• Like 1

Does anyone recall the bomb shelters of the 50's?  My  parents and relatives  had one and it was stocked with a lot of canned goods, etc.  Maybe I should go over for an extended visit.

This man was stocking up with kielbasa, chili and baked beans this morning.  One way to clear out a home.... 

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Our flight last night from ORD was about 50% full and they spaced out passengers.  

Our flight back to Canada was sold out....  Wall to wall people... almost a flying pitre dish.  Fingers crossed that my DW or myself are virus free.