Now what will they do know.

World cruise has been rerouted to Africa and South America; great new itinerary.  

Good thing Gerry flew in early; won't be able to fly on Saturday.

Wonder what happens to Explorer transatlantic if you can't fly home from Barcelona (I know it is slightly past the 30 day window).

Marc

56 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Europe is the subject of the travel ban, not the UK.

That's his point exactly. All cruises that were supposed to end elsewhere in Europe can't be re-routed to the UK.

It's going to be a gong show, holy moly. Lots of people that are not Americans (Canada/S.A./Asia) connect via the US from western Europe.

Pretty sure this is going to be a whole bunch of outright cancellations and parked ships until Mid April. Even the April 3 TA for Explorer - it's 2 weeks duration so technically it'll hit Barcelona after the 30 days expires... but who is saying flights will re-open then? Want to get on a ship and not know if/when you're going to get home?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

They are allowing Americans home after a med screen.

I can't imagine there will be very many scheduled Transatlantic flights to get home from Europe even if they pass a medical screen.

Fun times for sure!

Edited by slidebite
  • Like 1

We are scheduled for our first Regent cruise on the Navigator on May 22. We will see what happens. Our last two cruises have been on Viking. Below is the latest statement we just received from them:

... Therefore, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend operations of our river and ocean vessels embarking from March 12 to April 30, 2020 – at which time we believe Viking will be in a better place to provide the experiences our guests expect and deserve. This is a decision we made with a heavy heart, but with present circumstances what they are, we are unable to deliver the high-quality Viking experience for which we are known.

For those guests whose cruise falls within this window of suspended operations, we are offering the choice of a Future Cruise Voucher valued at 125% of all monies paid to Viking or a refund equal to the amount paid. Guests will have 24 months to use their Future Cruise Voucher to make a new reservation on any river, ocean or expedition cruise. For additional flexibility, if you are unable to use your voucher, we will automatically send you a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking after the voucher expires. These Future Cruise Vouchers will also be fully transferable.

Rest assured, our reservations team is currently in the process of issuing Future Cruise Vouchers of 125% of all monies paid to Viking. However, if you would prefer the alternative please call Viking at 1-833-900-0951 or contact your Travel Agent by March 25, 2020.

We don’t know the details of this travel ban, including whether the President can do this without Congressional approval. What we do know is that this is just another thing negatively impacting the travel industry — include the good part like Regent. All experts say us seniors should avoid crowds. And a great way for us to travel without crowds is to take a Regent cruise — except for the fact that most of us have to take several flights, and fight our way through crowds at several airports, to get to that cruise. This all is a confusing mess. II hope it is all over soon.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

We don’t know the details of this travel ban, including whether the President can do this without Congressional approval. What we do know is that this is just another thing negatively impacting the travel industry — include the good part like Regent. All experts say us seniors should avoid crowds. And a great way for us to travel without crowds is to take a Regent cruise — except for the fact that most of us have to take several flights, and fight our way through crowds at several airports, to get to that cruise. This all is a confusing mess. II hope it is all over soon.

Don't we all hope for this.

2 hours ago, slidebite said:

That's his point exactly. All cruises that were supposed to end elsewhere in Europe can't be re-routed to the UK.

It's going to be a gong show, holy moly. Lots of people that are not Americans (Canada/S.A./Asia) connect via the US from western Europe.

Pretty sure this is going to be a whole bunch of outright cancellations and parked ships until Mid April. Even the April 3 TA for Explorer - it's 2 weeks duration so technically it'll hit Barcelona after the 30 days expires... but who is saying flights will re-open then? Want to get on a ship and not know if/when you're going to get home?

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

True, as I was saying Regent can't end all cruise UK so you can fly out.

Yes, I see what you are saying. Clearly this is a huge dilemma. 

Everyday it seems its more bad news. See Princess ships will be docked for 60 days, and sure all others will have to follow suit.

I cancelled a Regent one for June,,,moved to Oct.but sounds like that may be iffy, Need to cancel that one,,on Seabourn,,,by June 25. Still not sure what airlines are doing,,,,anyone know?

I already paid $450 ea.for moving United tickets to new date. Will I have to pay again?Most likely.Know they probably won t be giving refunds,right?

So many people will be adversely affected, in many ways and in many countries.Such a mess and so very sad.

3 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I expect there's some very difficult, high-level, discussions going on in Miami right now.

SilverSea  stepped up right away with FULL CASH REFUNDS going into Dec 2020 sometimes a luxury line is not just the glitter up front but what goes on behind closed doors

SS full CC till May then CASH REFUNDS till DEC 2020

What I was saying in my post about confusion is being proven as the hours go by. Reportedly, NCL is now requiring some sort of doctor’s statement of good heath for people over 70 to board. So what if I (over 70) couldn’t  get to see my doctor in time and was denied boarding if Regent were to follow suit? And since ships now reportedly can’t disembark anywhere on continental Europe (and must go to England instead), how is Regent going to change air to get travelers home from their changed disembarkation?  And, reportedly, airlines are canceling flights all over the place. What will happen if Regent is unable to obtain a flight home  (business/first of course) after an itinerary change from disembarkation in Europe to England?

The real problem here is our Federal government’s failure to develop a comprehensive plan to protect us from this virus. Instead, we have seem a series of “knee jerk” reactions. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

The real problem here is our Federal government’s failure to develop a comprehensive plan to protect us from this virus. Instead, we have seem a series of “knee jerk” reactions. 

Actually, I think the bigger problem is the media whipping the world into a frenzy..but that’s a discussion for a different thread...

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Cruising is not a necessity. You should use your common sense and avoid it if you feel it enhances the probability of you getting sick.  I certainly wouldn't put the burden on the Federal government to protect you

• Like 2

Well, the media is certainly making more of the problem than it deserves at this time. Perhaps because there is no vaccine and no treatment meds for this disease. Developing at least treatment meds should be priority #1. In Australia, everybody can get tested. Here in the US, I have no idea how to get tested. The information is very conflicted. But I guess I shouldn’t care. If I tested positive, there is no treatment.

Yes, cruising is not necessary. Indeed the reason I have not cruised more recently is not any problem with Regent. It is a problem with the inadequate domestic airports and over crowded domestic airlines, which pre-dates the virus panic. My problem with governmental action is that rules are popping up hourly, with no regard to how they affect the logistics of running a cruise line. This, in turn, affects the cruise experience, as the lines must react, and quickly — which is not always correctly.

Edited by Dolebludger