The 60 day shutdown essentially cancels all Transatlantic crossings

docsdrillers

So cruises are shut down for 60 days which basically covers all Transatlantic sailings.

So how realistic is it for us to assume that after the shut down that Princess can suddenly create new TA sailings and market them in a short window to salvage any part of the European season..

With so much uncertainty i can't imagine they could plan for that scenario..where would crew come from,supplies etc etc???

Essentially what i'm asking is why Princess can't or won't announce that the European season is toast.

Logistics aside,how can you plan if you don't even know if you will have ports to go to or start from?

Another question is...where will the ships spend these 60 days?

Will they stay where they are? Will they make the crossings empty?

Ports charge an hourly rate to stay docked.

If you think the daily parking rate for cars at Port Everglades is high, you should see the rates they charge ships!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

That period only covers EB TAs this spring.  WB TAs this fall should be sailing.

Thanks for your clarification.

I should have been more specific because i was most concerned about the European season.

29 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Another question is...where will the ships spend these 60 days?

Will they stay where they are? Will they make the crossings empty?

Ports charge an hourly rate to stay docked.

If you think the daily parking rate for cars at Port Everglades is high, you should see the rates they charge ships!

I was wondering the same thing.

They can't put them in dry dock ...unless it's already scheduled. I'm pretty sure those facilities are booked years ahead.

Where will the crew go? Fly home? How? Stay on the ship? And do what? You can only clean so much until it's as clean as it's going to get.

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Where will the crew go? Fly home?

I chatted with a crew member shortly after the 60 day news broke out, and welcomed them to stay with us, if they are released from duty. I'm not sure if their visas would allow such a thing, but I made the offer anyway. It's the least we could do.

• Like 3

The ships will anchor out, like normal cargo ships -- although the cruise lines do own some of their own docks.   I know of a cove in BC that is filled with decaying old ships, they are occupied by vagarants.    Disposal of old ships is a real problem around here, one sank and contaminated our oyster beds a few years ago.    

Drydocking is not used for storage ever, think of it like the lift at the shop for your car.   Nobody stores cars up on the lift.   I can't imagine that these things can be stored on land, until the "final curtain" when they are driven on a beach in India and cut up.

The fact that a large number of potential customers can't even fly to Europe probably puts a bit of a crimp in the cruise season.   

29 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Well Enchanted Princess is already in the Mediterranean '. Still hoping we sail on it this August and won't be cancelling anytime soon either

Will they have the funds to pay Fincantieri for the ship?

2 hours ago, docsdrillers said:

So cruises are shut down for 60 days which basically covers all Transatlantic sailings.

So how realistic is it for us to assume that after the shut down that Princess can suddenly create new TA sailings and market them in a short window to salvage any part of the European season..

With so much uncertainty i can't imagine they could plan for that scenario..where would crew come from,supplies etc etc???

Essentially what i'm asking is why Princess can't or won't announce that the European season is toast.

Logistics aside,how can you plan if you don't even know if you will have ports to go to or start from?

Here is a conundrum concerning the TA's. We are scheduled to do a WB TA from Copenhagen to NY on 9/4/20 on the SKY. The ship is currently in the U.S. and scheduled to do an EB TA to Europe in April which is cancelled. Princess would have to do an EB TA in order to get the ship to Copenhagen for our WB TA to NY. So, if Princess is going to do our WB TA, then they will have to send the SKY empty or offer another voyage with passengers at some point. It costs a lot of $ to sail empty. Of course all planning at this point is subjective depending on what the Corona Virus does!

• Like 1

Once the dust clears, I think it will be pretty easy to book cruises that don't exist right now...like a TA in May.  There are many who have flexible schedules and given both the FCC's being issued and potentially attractive prices, people will quickly book. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, johnmik1 said:

I am sure that Lloyds of London has already begun transferring funds for the business interruption claims!

Our insurers have told us we have no cover for Coronavirus as it is not on the list of specified diseases. Hopefully these big corporations aren’t the same.

Here is a conundrum concerning the TA's. We are scheduled to do a WB TA from Copenhagen to NY on 9/4/20 on the SKY. The ship is currently in the U.S. and scheduled to do an EB TA to Europe in April which is cancelled. Princess would have to do an EB TA in order to get the ship to Copenhagen for our WB TA to NY.

I was wondering, too but seeing the above post, I'll not cancel my Aug. 24 Grand Adventure, Baltic + TA.  My final payment is due the end of April and I'm not bugging my TA right now, she has more than enough to handle! 🙂

Princess has taken a big hit with

1. 3 ships in quarantine...passengers retained onboard, need to be fed, cleaning, etc..no revenue from that.  Revenue lost per day must have been astronomical.  An empty ship would cut the losses.

2.  Brand reputation...Princess got most of the press coverage...negative coverage.

This is shoulder season...great time to shut down if required.  Not a high revenue period.

IMO, the ships will sail empty to wherever they need to be (Alaska, Med, Baltic, UK) for the summer.  Maintenance and deep cleaning will be done while underway.

Rescheduling a TA or other long sailing that would begin in mid-May would be a logistical impossibility.  

It is not a stretch to think that the ban on ships may be extended beyond mid-May in other countries.