How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

Kindergirl,

Take care out there. Your love for your parents is very obvious and felt by all on this board with any sensibilities,  it's second only to a parents unconditional love for their children. Whilst I'm still not sure that your decision to drive to the USA is the right one I hope you and your parents have a happy reunion.  Your actions are very, very understandable. Again take care.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Kindergirl; couple of issues:

It is imperative that your folks (or you) once they get their three flights, they/you request wheelchair assistance for each flt/from each airline. That should get them pre-boarding and a staff member will "wheel" them via the jet-bridge to their seats on the aircraft. Upon landing, "able-bodied" pax get to disembark first, but they will still get assistance with a wheelchair and, in Sydney, they should be able to be "wheeled" to the gate for their LAX flt.

Also, if at all possible, have them take only one suitcase between them with essentials for the drive up north with you (from TPA). Have them leave the remainder of their luggage inside their cabin on Amsterdam and take HAL up on their offer to ship that stuff home when Amsterdam arrives back in FLL, whenever that may be. If they can go without checking luggage and only have essentials inside their carry-on, even better!

Poster Cruise NH (I'm not smart enough to highlight that name in blue 🤓) gave you real good info on what they can expect once they arrive at LAX, as far as CBP (Customs/Immigration) is concerned. Unfortunately, they will have to fetch their luggage from the belt in order to go through Customs with it, and before having it checked for the domestic flt to Tampa. That's why it's so important to have as few pieces of luggage as possible, or possibly only carry-ons

Once they get through all that red tape, and the last thing they have to do, as Cruise NH stated, is to check their luggage for the domestic flight, I can be waiting for them at the exit (still inside Tom Bradley) and take them to their connecting domestic terminal. LAX has curbside buses that run in between the eight terminals but that, if it's busy, is not always a day at the beach, especially not for seniors who are no longer able-bodied.

When I was still working for the PD and in uniform, I was able to get near the officers in the Customs booths at Bradley and meet/pick up law enforcement friends there, but that's a thing of the past. I have a nephew who is a crew chief for American Airlines at LAX so I'll touch base with him and see if his LAX I.D. will allow him access inside Tom Bradley terminal. Will get back to you on that one   

I second the recommendation for minimal luggage. I had an experience similar to Cruise NH's several years ago in SFO changing from a flight from Sydney to a domestic flight. We barely made it and we were still young enough to run for it. (I don't recall having to change terminals, but I still remember DH yelling "No!" when I glanced at the See's Candy kiosk) It would have been so much easier if we hadn't had to claim and then recheck our bags. We would have been plenty early at our gate.

Thanks for the good advice re luggage and carry on only. If they EVER call, I’ll make sure they know...provided the call doesn’t get dropped. Lol
Ive also been in touch with Copper10-8 by email with my gratitude and contact info

ill keep you all posted. 
@Copper10-8 you all are on lockdown...I’m guessing that will impact your offer, but I’m still buying you dinner (you too @cccole) when we get out of this mess!

• Like 4

@old mike I’m not sure it was either, but...

My mom is a great mom, certainly not perfect and she drove (drives) me crazy sometimes as I do her, but I do love her for sure. 
I’m adopted.  She “picked” me and took excellent care of me, and now it is my turn to do the same for her. 
I struggled a lot with Jim for many years, but now he too has found a way into my heart and no matter what, I’ll be here for him too. 
It is not in my nature to leave anyone to struggle on their own if I can help. Both a strength and a weakness for sure. 
Thank you for your kindness during this time. I could feel your concern for me through the ether, and I know you not only thought it was best for me not to go, but that my parents would feel the same. I think you are likely right, once they get home and absorb what is going on they are going to wish I had stayed home. I still couldn’t have. 

To those posting about the ship’s progress and arrival, that is also kind of getting me emotional. Thank you for taking your time to fill me in. So thoughtful. 

There is much kindness in the world.  We are all going to need to hang on to that over this rough time. 

There are always silver linings even in awful situations.  Thanks everyone for being a silver lining. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

Thanks for the good advice re luggage and carry on only. If they EVER call, I’ll make sure they know...provided the call doesn’t get dropped. Lol
Ive also been in touch with Copper10-8 by email with my gratitude and contact info

ill keep you all posted. 
@Copper10-8 you all are on lockdown...I’m guessing that will impact your offer, but I’m still buying you dinner (you too @cccole) when we get out of this mess!

Bless you!

https://www.fremantleports.com.au/the-port/harbourcams/harbourcam-2

The roundshots are fun to play with. You can zoom in a ways and when you get the black squares the upper left one will stop the rotation. I did some close ups from hotel in Switz to US to see daughters adventures. The red camera is where cam 1 is. The sip you care about is in the middle. It takes a new shot about every 10 min and you can keep track of time and see any busses. 

sightcrr

• Like 4

On 3/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, puppycanducruise said:

With the border closed, I doubt that your parents would be allowed into Canada. 

The Canadian border is open to US citizens. 🙂

Edited by Boatdrill

22 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

The Canadian border is open to US citizens. 🙂

No, it’s not, sorry.  It was but it is now closed.  It’s open for Canadian citizens returning of course and for trade but everything else is closed.

• Like 3

OP,  please tell us how this turns out.  I am so sorry you have gone through so much stress.  Our own son called us in Miami after we'd gone to sleep and demanded we return home.  So glad he did.    We'd  be quarantined in Argentina rather than on our bucket list Antarctic expeditionary cruise right now.

They can afford first/business class if they are in a Neptune Suite.

I hope they got good advice from their concierge and are on the way home now or soon.

Please keep us posted and God bless you for being a concerned daughter. 

• Like 1

I read on the Pacific Princess (World Cruise Jan20, 2020) CC blog that the ship will be sailing back to Los Angeles with selected passengers that are unable to fly home.  The Pacific Princess and Amsterdam are both docked in Fremantle and there are selected passengers from the Amsterdam that will be joining the Pacific Princess cruise back to Los Angeles.  Read the last page of that blog. 
Good luck.

Edited by Lyndonn
  • Like 5

Following this thread makes me realize how many thoughtful, caring people there are on the HAL board. These are strange times indeed and we'll get through them by continuing to look out for each other. Living so close to the Canadian border and with family in both Vancouver and Vancouver Island, it is unsettling to experience the closure of the border effective midnight tonight. It's a physical closure but all the emotional ties remain strong.

Kindergirl, best wishes for your reunion with your folks

Dennis

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kindergirl said:

ill keep you all posted. 

It's not a total and complete "lockdown," plus I consider this assistance "essential business" to help out someone (two elderly individuals) in need, so I'll be prepared to get myself to LAX and help your folks out

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Email from Holland America received 5 minutes ago.

AMSTERDAM UPDATE 3/20 (9pm PT): Amsterdam is now docked in Fremantle, Australia, and working on clearance procedures to begin disembarkation of Grand World Voyage guests today through March 23. This will be a fluid process as local officials finalize details with the ship. We thank our guests in advance for their patience and understanding.

Holland America Line is endeavoring to get Amsterdam guests home as soon as possible. Borders are shut in most countries and ports, restrictions are tightening even further on travel and most international governments have advised their citizens to travel home right away.

Carnival Australia Care Team members will be assisting in Australian air hubs. Additionally select ship staff trained as Care Team members will accompany those guests that need it on flights to hubs in Australia and Europe.

Holland America Line has a long history of taking care of our guests, and the Grand World Voyage is the pinnacle of our cruises and service. We sincerely apologize that the global circumstances and rapidly-changing restrictions have required us to end the cruise early and we never want to disappoint or inconvenience our guests. We have been assisting with travel arrangements and hope that onward travel is smooth and everyone is home soon.

Hope all goes well for all passengers.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

It's not a total and complete "lockdown," plus I consider this assistance "essential business" to help out someone (two elderly individuals) in need, so I'll be prepared to get myself to LAX and help your folks out

@Copper10-8 I gave your post a Like but it really deserves

❤️❤️❤️❤️ to the power of 10 😍

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1