How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

Watching and praying and sending good vibes to all involved!  As I'm reading the posts, I found I was holding my breath most of the time!  @Kindergirl, you've got a bunch of us here, cheering you and your parents on!  Try to get some sleep tonight (a hot bath and wine helps me!).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Watching and praying and sending good vibes to all involved!  As I'm reading the posts, I found I was holding my breath most of the time!  @Kindergirl, you've got a bunch of us here, cheering you and your parents on!  Try to get some sleep tonight (a hot bath and wine helps me!).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

I vote for the wine!!!  Cherie

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cccole said:

I vote for the wine!!!  Cherie

I don't care if it's a Chateau Lafite Rothschild or your favourite "Cardboardeaux", let's raise our glasses (or teacups)  to all the people en route home from their interrupted cruises, and those who are anxiously waiting for them.  Cheers! 🍷

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I am also waiting anxiously for the reunion.  Kudos to all who have stepped up to the plate to help. As ShipWalker said, there’s a movie here for sure. I will be raising a glass of Ontario wine when Kindergirl hugs her parents.

• Like 5

First time ever posting on the HAL board.  Heck, I haven't even been here until last week, I usually sail Princess, Royal, or Carnival.  But, had read the story of Amsterdam going to Australia and the passengers were going to be 'kicked off' the ship half way around the world.  Well, that's the media for you for one thing. But, I know that HAL caters to the more experienced age group and it was concerning, all those poor people, it didn't sound quite right.  Luckily, I knew exactly where to go 😄

I was looking for a general thread on the topic when the title of this one caught my eye.  Because you know, that was kinda my question.  Although I sympathize with the ordeal that @Kindergirl must be going through, as well as others that are posting their stories, I have completely enjoyed this thread.  No, not the misfortune and absolute hell those on the GWV must be going through to get home.  But, the kindness, compassion, sense of community from all the posters and two absolute angels ( @Copper10-8 and @cccole ) that are willing to help strangers.

@Kindergirl I am so glad your parents are on their way home and will have such a wonderful welcoming committee at LAX.  You can bet this will be the first thing I will want to read in the morning.  Safe travels and good night to all.  Take care! 😊

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@Kindergirl @Copper10-8

LAX-TPA has been canceled for the parents. I personally expect them to continue to cancel the route indefinitely. DL may not admit it. Agents will be able to assist on their arrival after they get through immigration and customs but it might be helpful to have someone there to advocate and have Kindergirl on the phone. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, PiperHolliday said:

@Kindergirl @Copper10-8

LAX-TPA has been canceled for the parents. I personally expect them to continue to cancel the route indefinitely. DL may not admit it. Agents will be able to assist on their arrival after they get through immigration and customs but it might be helpful to have someone there to advocate and have Kindergirl on the phone. 

They say real life is stranger than fiction.   Lucky your parents are being well cared for. 

(This is a fact of life for people all over the world at present trying to fly home, with flights constantly being cancelled.  There is a group of Aussies in South America who are now trying to charter a plane home after many disappointments with flights being cancelled and borders being closed.)

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PiperHolliday said:

@Kindergirl @Copper10-8

Thanks a lot for the heads up Ma'am! With that, the game plan is get them from Bradley to T2 and then will start with a DL check-in/counter agent to figure what, if anything, is available to get them to TPA or, at least, in that general direction (MCO, JAX, FLL, MIA, ATL, DFW) 

If that doesn't work out, we'll go to Plan B and that is to get them into a hotel at LAX for probably well needed rest (there are plenty hotels inside, or just outside the perimeter of LAX - no worries, no crappy areas - I still know them 😉) and wait until a flight becomes available  

Kindergirl will be in the loop via cellphone 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all, thanks for all the prayers and well wishes, not to mention the wine!

I’ve been tracking them and they are getting close. It was really exciting to look at the flightaware map this morning and to see how far they have come. 
I have every reason to believe they are on this flight. They would have called by now if not. 😄

I know their TPA flight is cancelled, but it will be great to just have them on the same continent. Heck, I can drive to LA if necessary. Don’t panic everyone I’m sure they will find a flight and it is not my plan to drive there, but you know, worst case scenario I could if I HAD to. @old mike really, don’t worry, I’m not racing to LA.  😊

@Copper10-8 I can’t tell you how reassuring it is that you will be there with them to help.  My stress level is not even that bad now because of you.  And the fact that there is backup in LA by @cccole eases my mind even more. 
If they need to stay safe and sound in LA until they can get a flight so be it. They are on their way and are getting closer by the minute. 
The one sad thing though is that I will miss this amazing group of kind, positive and inspiring people. Knowing y’all are out there though, being kind and helping people through this tough time warms my heart. And, after this segment is over, maybe I could post and let you all know how they are doing? Regardless, I’ll always remember the support and help I have received. I will pay it forward.

Cheers all.  Photos to follow...eventually. 

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks a lot for the heads up Ma'am! With that, the game plan is get them from Bradley to T2 and then will start with a DL check-in/counter agent to figure what, if anything, is available to get them to TPA or, at least, in that general direction (MCO, JAX, FLL, MIA, ATL, DFW) 

I😉

Don't forget Fort Myers, Palm Springs, Punta Gorda.....Ft. Myers is a big airport and the smaller ones may still have flights. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1