How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

PiperHolliday - I noticed that Delta is selling tickets for LAX-TPA tomorrow and onward.   You are a great resource for knowledge.  I also would have them stay put in Perth or Sydney but that may mean a long wait before coming home.  Hard to know for sure.  Cherie

• Like 2

@PiperHolliday Thank you for the info! I agree with you. I’d much rather they stay there if they could manage okay, but I don’t think Australia will let them stay. I also expect I’d now have a hard time getting there to help them out. When this all began that was one of my ideas but my understanding now is that they had to depart immediately. I appreciate your insight re their LAX TPA flight. At least I know to expect it. 

@cccole another day doesn’t bother me at all, I just want them home safely, but, I’m hesitant to do anything in case they have made arrangements already. I think I’m in a wait and see pattern as is @Copper10-8 unfortunately.

Thanks for hanging in through the drama. hopefully I’ll have an update sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

I think they are still on track.  DL7284 is a codeshare operated by Virgin Australia VA570 which landed in Sydney on time this morning at 6.06am.  DL6799 is also a codeshare operated by Virgin VA1.  VA1 is listed for departure at 10.39am (it is 10.10am now in Sydney) and the gate is open.  Fingers crossed all goes well.

https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/flights/?query=&flightType=departure&terminalType=international&date=2020-03-23&sortColumn=scheduled_time&ascending=true&showAll=false 

• Like 4

The dateline may be messing with you again. Was the PER-SYD Sunday or Monday? 

The Delta flt was done by Virgin voz570,   

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VOZ570/history/20200322/1505Z/YPPH/YSSY

voz570 was canceled for Monday. sightcrr.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

@PiperHolliday Thank you for the info! I agree with you. I’d much rather they stay there if they could manage okay, but I don’t think Australia will let them stay. I also expect I’d now have a hard time getting there to help them out. When this all began that was one of my ideas but my understanding now is that they had to depart immediately. I appreciate your insight re their LAX TPA flight. At least I know to expect it. 

If Australia won't allow them to stay, how does Australia expect them to leave the country when there are no flights available?  Perhaps by a rubber dingy?  (being a bit of facetious about the rubber dingy)  

There are United States Citizens stranded in various countries, Italy and Honduras comes to mind.  The countries are currently in lock down so no flights in or out, they are not being forced out.  I think there were people in Chili that were in similar circumstances, and the US military flew them out.

From the thread and I have read from the beginning, I think your parents are still Canadian citizens although they live in Florida.  I would contact the appropriate Canadian embassy/consulate again.

I would not attempt to fly to Australia, as you might not get there.  Or less likely be two "ships" that pass in the night, so to speak. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

The dateline may be messing with you again. Was the PER-SYD Sunday or Monday? 

The Delta flt was done by Virgin voz570,   

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VOZ570/history/20200322/1505Z/YPPH/YSSY

voz570 was canceled for Monday. sightcrr.

It is 7:45 PM east coast time, Sunday, right now, so March 22.

It is 10:45 AM Sydney time, Monday, right now, so March 23.

• Like 2

I have been silently following along-it’s certainly better than the stuff on tv.  Hoping your parents get the flights and into your arms soon-you are a fabulous daughter!  I would be like you, just wanting them with me and do anything I could.

What a story they will have to tell their friends!

It is not surprising that people on this forum have stepped up and offered help.  Kudos to them.  

• Like 3

Yes, you are right, it’s that damn dateline again! Yesterday/today’s flight from Perth to Sydney apparently was fine, it’s today/tomorrow’s flight that was cancelled. 
I spoke with the brilliant @Copper10-8 who suggested I phone Delta and while they couldn’t tell me if they actually got on the plane, they assured me that it did indeed land at Sydney. 
Now it will just be the final leg that may need some tweaking. And again the brilliance of our fine copper10-8 if they can’t fly, I will get them a hotel at LAX so they can rest until they can get another flight. 

It is my solemn promise to not post anymore panicky messages about time and date. I’m sorry everyone. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

Yes, you are right, it’s that damn dateline again! Yesterday/today’s flight from Perth to Sydney apparently was fine, it’s today/tomorrow’s flight that was cancelled. 
I spoke with the brilliant @Copper10-8 who suggested I phone Delta and while they couldn’t tell me if they actually got on the plane, they assured me that it did indeed land at Sydney. 
Now it will just be the final leg that may need some tweaking. And again the brilliance of our fine copper10-8 if they can’t fly, I will get them a hotel at LAX so they can rest until they can get another flight. 

It is my solemn promise to not post anymore panicky messages about time and date. I’m sorry everyone. 

You've got mail with the hotel info 😉 With the valuable info from PiperHoliday re: tomorrow's LAX-TPA (DL 1301) flt having 70 or so pax onboard, let's all keep our fingers crossed that it's good to go and will not be cancelled

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

Post all you want -- everyone here cares what happens to your parents.  They could be my parents.  They could be us one day.  We care.

• Like 19

A respected contributor on CC and a respected employee of HAL, Copper 10-8 is going the extra mile.  Can't wait to see the photo tomorrow a.m.   So Kindergirl...where do we order our t-shirts?  Cherie 

Edited by cccole
  • Like 5