Question: Why Fremantle?

mame42

The Rotterdam continues to cruise until 27 March, so why does the Amsterdam have a forced debarkation in Fremantle 24 March?  Surely a way could be found to send us back to the US immediately within the next 15 days.  For many passengers the stress of a forced debarkation and a 30 hour flight home presents a greater health risk than the virus.

That might be stretching it a bit...

The reason is probably logistical. I don't know the future ports, but how many could handle 1300 people suddenly flying out of them? Perth is a fairly major city with a good sized international airport, with at least a moderate selection of international flights to different locations to connect as needed, and hotels to hold people as needed. 

• Like 1

Hi, Lonnie.  Sorry about this sudden cancellation - perhaps Fremantle is the only port that will have you?  So many ports around the world have just closed up shop to cruises.  I know you had been having itinerary changes all along the way.  

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Hi, Lonnie.  Sorry about this sudden cancellation - perhaps Fremantle is the only port that will have you?  So many ports around the world have just closed up shop to cruises.  I know you had been having itinerary changes all along the way.  

Thanks, Anne.  Theoretically, we are supposed to receive more info this afternoon. 

The passengers have appealed to Seattle to allow the ship to go on to FLL with no port stops other then fuel and supplies.  Dozens have told ship staff that they are unable to fly for medical reasons.  We are supposed to hear Seattle’s decision this afternoon.  Stay tuned....

40 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The passengers have appealed to Seattle to allow the ship to go on to FLL with no port stops other then fuel and supplies.  Dozens have told ship staff that they are unable to fly for medical reasons.  We are supposed to hear Seattle’s decision this afternoon.  Stay tuned....

Wow. What kind of insurance would you need to have to do an around the world cruise if you are medically unable to fly? Any number of things could happen, at any time,  requiring you to be transported back to the USA from the cruise.

• Like 3

Australian ports are closed to cruise ships from midnight Australia time.  Don't know what will happen now.  May be allowed to refuel in Darwin tomorrow.  Anyone getting off in Darwin would now face 14 days in isolation.

Edited by dillpickle48

5 hours ago, colbe said:

Wow. What kind of insurance would you need to have to do an around the world cruise if you are medically unable to fly? Any number of things could happen, at any time,  requiring you to be transported back to the USA from the cruise.

Agreed but over the years the WC has adopted a nursing home flavor.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mame42 said:

The Rotterdam continues to cruise until 27 March, so why does the Amsterdam have a forced debarkation in Fremantle 24 March?  Surely a way could be found to send us back to the US immediately within the next 15 days.  For many passengers the stress of a forced debarkation and a 30 hour flight home presents a greater health risk than the virus.

Someone on the Rotterdam is reporting that this has changed and they are disembarking in Puerta Vallarta tomorrow.

With Rotterdam passengers being told yesterday that they were disembarking today in Mexico instead of continuing to FLL as originally posted, I doubt that HAL has any choice other than to disembark passengers at the next port they are allowed to stop at.

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

With Rotterdam passengers being told yesterday that they were disembarking today in Mexico instead of continuing to FLL as originally posted, I doubt that HAL has any choice other than to disembark passengers at the next port they are allowed to stop at.

I suspect you are right.

3 hours ago, mame42 said:

Darwin cancelled as of this evening per Captain's announcement.

I suspect that given the Australian cruise ban, they would be forced to halt the cruise at their next stop. By pushing on to Fremantle, they will have better resources for flights/hotels/etc. I also expect they were planning to re-supply there and they will need those to support the crew over the coming days.

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Agreed but over the years the WC has adopted a nursing home flavor.  

?????!!!!!

I'm assuming that "WC" stands for world cruise.

I'd appreciate it if you could unpack "nursing home flavor."  Has this type of characterization been the topic of other CC threads? If so, I'd be grateful to anyone who can point me there.

4 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

?????!!!!!

I'd appreciate it if you could unpack "nursing home flavor."  Has this type of characterization been the topic of other CC threads? If so, I'd be grateful to anyone who can point me there.

Yes, it does.  As someone who spends too much time on this board I have not seen this type of characterization on other CC threads.  With that said KirkNC, is currently on board the Amsterdam and is entitled to his observation and opinion.  Btw, a few months ago I spent 51 days on the Amsterdam.  I will refrain from commenting.  Best wishes to ALL on the WC.  I am confident HAL will take good care of them.

• Like 1

I read on the Princess boards that the Princess world cruise is also planning to end early and also in Fremantle. Interesting -- I wonder if Carnival Corp made a 2-for-1 deal with them?  

Just kidding of course, but it would be interesting to know what negotiations took place -- and if they will hold up in the face of recent announcements by Australia.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I read on the Princess boards that the Princess world cruise is also planning to end early and also in Fremantle. Interesting -- I wonder if Carnival Corp made a 2-for-1 deal with them?  

Just kidding of course, but it would be interesting to know what negotiations took place -- and if they will hold up in the face of recent announcements by Australia.

That is not surprising.  Princess announced last week that it was suspending all  cruises for sixty days and would disembark passengers at the nearest convenient port.  Since the Princess WC may have been in the middle of the ocean, Fremantle may have been the nearest port available for disembarkation.  I doubt if "negotiations" played any part since the announcement had been made by Princess many days ago.

Indeed.  Cruise lines do not call the shots as to which port they may enter.  It may be planned, but as we see, that can be countered by the port officials.  This is a very fluid situation and what is happening behind the scenes is likely changing before it can be communicated to those affected.

For those cruises still in progress, with anticipation to end 'as scheduled' - do not be surprised if they terminate early in whatever port the cruise line can get docking permission, as just what happened with Rotterdam in Puerto Vallarta.    

8 hours ago, Petronillus said:

?????!!!!!

I would have thought the statement is self explanatory but to elaborate HAL has a well earned reputation as being the line with the oldest demographics.  Orlando Ashford has a quote from a few years back saying that HAL would no longer be the old foggy cruise line, his words not mine.  On the WC it is very obvious that the reputation is still intact.  I have not counted the number of rascals, wheelchairs, walkers and canes but rest assured it would be a significant number.  There are several passengers on oxygen, there are several who can’t get from point A to point B without assistance.  There is one man who shows up in Lido every meal in his pajamas.  Almost every hall or elevator well has a walker, wheelchair or rascal parked in it.  So yes, it’s hard to not get the nursing home feel.  I am not judging, just observing.

6 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I would have thought the statement is self explanatory . . . .

I thought you were pointing out something special about or peculiar to the world cruises.

In February 2019 we were on an 11-day cruise of the Caribbean on the Koningsdam, r/t FLL. The prevalence of elderliness was noticeable. A huge corral of walkers and scooters greeted you just inside the MDR, with remote parking in the lobby area just outside. On our most recent 17-day Panama Canal transit on board the Oosterdam it was not nearly so extreme. Nevertheless, it's true enough to make me wince that HAL caters perforce to the elderly and their parents.

3 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

I thought you were pointing out something special about or peculiar to the world cruises.

In February 2019 we were on an 11-day cruise of the Caribbean on the Koningsdam, r/t FLL. The prevalence of elderliness was noticeable. A huge corral of walkers and scooters greeted you just inside the MDR, with remote parking in the lobby area just outside. On our most recent 17-day Panama Canal transit on board the Oosterdam it was not nearly so extreme. Nevertheless, it's true enough to make me wince that HAL caters perforce to the elderly and their parents.

Y frind, when I was on the KDAM three weeks ago I noticed the same thing.  One side of me wanted to give Prking tickets but I decided to let discretion be the better part of valor.