Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We had a tour of the kitchen once and the explained the  order for each cruise is made up in the states and arrive in Sydney for export and are delivered to the ship.

There’s probably a 2 month lead up there .
‘Pretty crazy bringing frozen good from the other side of the world when you can get it fresh here.

I have done a few 'ultimate ships tours' you get into the nitty gritty with the Food & Beverage Managers and Executive Chefs.  They tell you where the food is sourced from, most of the frozen stuff for Princess etc comes by refrigerated containers from USA, as they have contracted prices.   A lot of fresh produce is purchased locally.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have done a few 'ultimate ships tours' you get into the nitty gritty with the Food & Beverage Managers and Executive Chefs.  They tell you where the food is sourced from, most of the frozen stuff for Princess etc comes by refrigerated containers from USA, as they have contracted prices.   A lot of fresh produce is purchased locally.

They get pretty good buying power,
I was over there once and a documentary on the Budweiser factory said large companies and they named carnival.Book the factory for a shift and a day sometimes.
This factory is big ,it has freight trains lined up bumper to bumper.And they take what ever is made in that period.

We were told on our tour that most of the meat comes from Argentina.

However I did overhear  , while disembarking QM2 in Auckland ,after she had missed Christchurch because of the earthquakes , some of the suppliers chatting ,and the ship had an order of prime  steaks waiting for it in a container at ChCh which they could not get up to AK in time ,so every meat works in the North Island was sourced in order to fulfill  the order and get it to the ship .

• 4 weeks later...

That sort of cruising could be happening here if our governments weren't so biased against cruise ships. Perhaps not until the new year though.

Cruises that stayed within their embarkation state would allow for some port stops.

- Queensland has quite a few ports.

- NSW could go to Newcastle and Eden.

- Tasmania has Port Arthur and Burnie

- WA has several ports.

SA and Victoria are a bit limited though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That sort of cruising could be happening here if our governments weren't so biased against cruise ships. Perhaps not until the new year though.

Cruises that stayed within their embarkation state would allow for some port stops.

- Queensland has quite a few ports.

- NSW could go to Newcastle and Eden.

- Tasmania has Port Arthur and Burnie

- WA has several ports.

SA and Victoria are a bit limited though.

My thoughts are they will scrap this season (which they have) and maybe some test cruises early next year.

Lets see what Singapore does?

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

My thoughts are they will scrap this season (which they have) and maybe some test cruises early next year.

Lets see what Singapore does?

Singapore has had more than twice as many cases as Australia, and are still getting cases although their rolling seven day average is only 10. Ours is currently 15.

Melburnian  could go to French Island for a cruise......    lol     you can stay at the old gaol.......

I think quite a few would like Oct 2021 as a starting day......  a year away......

Hopefully  we will not be all still sitting in front of our computers on CC.....

But you look at Dec 2019   just got off a 26 night cruise.... with one book for the 15th Oct 2020....

One could have never imagined this would happen...... 

Don     watching from the lounge

Went on the Ferry from Stoney Point to French Island and unfortunately there was not much at French Island.   You need walk quite some way to see the Koalas.   It was better staying on the Ferry to Cowes.   We were thinking of the Ferry from  town to Geelong or Williamstown but the second lockdown happened.   The Ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff  is good.  A drive from Bayside to Mornington is just as good for a coffee and a walk down to the pier.

It seems we may be thrown a couple of crumbs in a week.   As soon as the shops open, I think many Melbournians will be off shopping, whenever that is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

All well and good - but this needs to be approved by all the State CHO’s who are the unelected but  “ALL POWERFUL” along with Border Force, Federal Govt etc, etc - definitely not holding my breath 🙄😱

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

All well and good - but this needs to be approved by all the State CHO’s who are the unelected but  “ALL POWERFUL” along with Border Force, Federal Govt etc, etc - definitely not holding my breath 🙄😱

We will follow the US CDC, we always follow the Americans of the US variety.

• Haha 1

Things are slowly getting back to normal .Tonight sees the opening of the Mary Poppins stage show in Auckland , now that the restrictions on numbers has been relaxed .Its on at Aucklands Art Deco Civic theatre and is probably one of the first theatrical shows in the world to reopen post Covid .

Lets hope Mary’s magic is the start of good things to come .

42 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Unless our governments have a major attitude adjustment re cruise ships then, no, I don't think we will see this until a vaccine is available. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though.

Sadly agree 😢

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Unless our governments have a major attitude adjustment re cruise ships then, no, I don't think we will see this until a vaccine is available. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though.

My thoughts are Brisbane will do something for the locals.

That new terminal would be burning a hole in there pocket.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

My thoughts are Brisbane will do something for the locals.

That new terminal would be burning a hole in there pocket.

That would be a nice outcome in a perfect world .

However with the ships getting bigger and bigger the cruise lines would need to draw on the entire Australian market to be able to run an assured schedule .

You won’t see regular cruising until all borders are back to what we knew before .