Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

But not popular with passengers.

MSC just pushed back the restart date for one ship out of Italy due to lack of demand with these sailings.

That would be worrying for MSC, who would be desperate of the $$$'s. Welcome to the "new normal". 😷

Edited by By The Bay

It also sounds like later checkin will be a possibility.

The 11:00 am check in sounds like a thing of the past .

Apparently 230 PM will be the first people allowed on and cabins won’t be available until 4:00 or later.
It will give more time to clean and to allow for delays to disembark the last cruise.

Looking a couple of cruises I rolled over to the 21-22 season they depart at 7:00 and 7:30 PM from OPT.

With no life boat drill ,it will give that little more party time but probably won’t be at sea until 8:00 ,
THATS MY BEDTIME.  LOL

Edited by Chiliburn

On 8/4/2020 at 3:18 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Is there any state in Australia with no confirmed cases? If not then news flash the virus is already all across the continent. Not just NSW or Victoria. Don't make the mistake of thinking someone from somewhere else is going to bring it in...it's already there. So many people everywhere doing the right thing for themselves, their families and their community being derailed by the arrogant few in most cases; and unfortunately some people in some states seem to think it's all coming from some other state.

Hi Lyle,

currently Tassie, which is an island state is covid free, we have  not had a community transmission case for 102 days, the last two cases were interstate travellers that were quarantined in hotels and tested positive.

Like New zealand, Tassie has been very quick on tracing, but we are a smaller state of 500 000. if people isolate and follow instructions we could get ahead of this awful virus, unfortunately there are a lot of folk who feel that they are entitled to do their own thing. we have had a handful of cases of people leaving their hotel quarantine, resulting in hefty fines, but thankfully no transmission.

I work in one of the larger hospitals in the state, and I can say this virus is damn scary, and for one don't wish to be on the recieving end, hopefully some common sense will prevail,  past the, not me, attitudes.

cheers

8 minutes ago, rabbit1971 said:

Hi Lyle,

currently Tassie, which is an island state is covid free, we have  not had a community transmission case for 102 days, the last two cases were interstate travellers that were quarantined in hotels and tested positive.

Like New zealand, Tassie has been very quick on tracing, but we are a smaller state of 500 000. if people isolate and follow instructions we could get ahead of this awful virus, unfortunately there are a lot of folk who feel that they are entitled to do their own thing. we have had a handful of cases of people leaving their hotel quarantine, resulting in hefty fines, but thankfully no transmission.

I work in one of the larger hospitals in the state, and I can say this virus is damn scary, and for one don't wish to be on the recieving end, hopefully some common sense will prevail,  past the, not me, attitudes.

cheers

Thanks for the update, we on Vancouver Island were doing quite well but there has been an uptick in recent days. Province wide numbers are getting quite disappointing. And don't get me started about the guy with 50 people in a small one bedroom apartment party.

My wife works at the BC Cancer agency and that place is full of immune compromised patients. Needless to say they are very careful there. 

Even with by far the best public health officer in the country (Dr. Bonnie Henry) some people are soooo important they don't get it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the update, we on Vancouver Island were doing quite well but there has been an uptick in recent days. Province wide numbers are getting quite disappointing. And don't get me started about the guy with 50 people in a small one bedroom apartment party.

My wife works at the BC Cancer agency and that place is full of immune compromised patients. Needless to say they are very careful there. 

Even with by far the best public health officer in the country (Dr. Bonnie Henry) some people are soooo important they don't get it.

With the 3 confirmed reinfected people ,it adds a twist to the situation.

Apparently they fear we may not build a immunity to the virus.

Not being negative, but I just don't know how they are going to fill the cabins when cruising eventually restarts next year or the year after, with all those constraints, i.e. like MSC Grandiosa had recently, many will not want to get on a ship.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

With the 3 confirmed reinfected people ,it adds a twist to the situation.

Apparently they fear we may not build a immunity to the virus.

I found this a very interesting article of the re-infection. Seems that the new infection is to a different strain. So, possibility of need for the flu vaccination of having multivalent immunisations, or multiple jabs.

Vasso is leading a team researching vaccinations and medium.

https://theconversation.com/a-man-in-hong-kong-caught-covid-19-a-second-time-heres-why-thats-not-surprising-and-theres-no-need-to-panic-145015

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I found this a very interesting article of the re-infection. Seems that the new infection is to a different strain. So, possibility of need for the flu vaccination of having multivalent immunisations, or multiple jabs.

Vasso is leading a team researching vaccinations and medium.

https://theconversation.com/a-man-in-hong-kong-caught-covid-19-a-second-time-heres-why-thats-not-surprising-and-theres-no-need-to-panic-145015

I think the concern that I heard on the ABC is the vaccines may not have a long term affect.

But I’m just repeating what was on the radio, I don’t know much about it.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

I think the concern that I heard on the ABC is the vaccines may not have a long term affect.

But I’m just repeating what was on the radio, I don’t know much about it.

There was a study that found the antibodies last about 3 months but they said they have to now look at the T- cells since they can help with immunity even without the antibodies.

49 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Norwegian putting ships into cold lay , This will be the start.

http://www.crew-center.com/nclh-cruise-ships-go-cool-lay-manning

The last paragraph of that article is a worry 

In an article published a couple of days ago entitled “Cruise Lines might lose the most valuable asset, the crew” we warned about the danger that many experienced crew members might decide to seek for a permanent job back home and not return on cruise ships. The long suspension of cruises might result in a loss of a great talent and experience these crew members gained during all years spent working on the cruise ships. Even after cruises resume it will take years for the cruise lines to get back to the level before the Covid-19 crisis.

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

P&O Cruises has  announced extension of pause until 2nd Dec. 2020.  I was surprised to see that this announcement effected twenty cruises.  

That's not a lot really. How many ships in the P&O fleet? Four? Five? If so, that's only 4-5 cruises per ship in a 2-3 month period.

Once you go cold lay up.... if this the beginning of the end ?? 

Good point about the crew..... as it is the crew who make the cruise.

Latest new from the MP... is would like state boarders to be open by Christmas...

With that in mind can't see anything happening on the Cruise side......for another year.

But one can dream..... we can all dance and sing a magical song...

And cruises ship will be back mid 2021 with all Australian only new itineraries

back from la la land Don  

33 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I was thinking of the number of disappointed passengers.

Even looking at it that way other lines' cancellations probably affected more people as their ships were bigger.

We're up to three cancelled cruises so far 😪

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So it’s all their ships except pride of America and in a couple of weeks.

Pride of America is the only one exempt from that silly port law because it registered in America.

Sounds like something a bit more Sirius that just parking a ship or two.

Another thought from the article is that whenever the ships go back into service , they will need a drydock .  

They cant sit idle either . I remember when the old Pacific Star had one of its many breakdowns ,she sat docked in the Brisbane River with the engines off . When they had fixed the problem and restarted the engines  ,they sucked jellyfish in , which gummed the engines up and they had to restart the repairs all over again.

• Haha 1

Air conditioning will be shutdown so everything gets mouldy and smelly.

The plumbing developes problems because seals dry out and corrosion.

I think it was Norwegian that has a new ship of Miami that hasn’t had a passenger? Just been doing circles for 5 months.

18 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

After reading what is involved in cold lay up of a cruise ship.... it is not something done lightly

Also afterwards.... dry dock,  as well as recertification.... months work..

then there is standing maintenance.. to stop rust etc...

cheers Don

Imagine the victualing that has to take place.  All the food and grog has probably gone from the ships, The ship's Food and Beverage Manager(s) will have their work cut out.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Another thought from the article is that whenever the ships go back into service , they will need a drydock .  

They cant sit idle either . I remember when the old Pacific Star had one of its many breakdowns ,she sat docked in the Brisbane River with the engines off . When they had fixed the problem and restarted the engines  ,they sucked jellyfish in , which gummed the engines up and they had to restart the repairs all over again.

There aren't usually a lot of jellyfish in the river, but I can remember the occasion you mention. Around that time, for some reason that I am not aware of, there were a lot of jellyfish near Portside.