Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

17 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Tell them they're dreaming.

We (Vic) have just had our lockdown extended until we reach 70% first jabs.  We will then be allowed to go 10 kms from home and 3 hours exercise.  Rules change all the time and not for the better.  Schools still not going back and very little lightening of restrictions announced.

How can cruise lines deal and plan with the uncertainty that surrounds us?

It is 70% of population or 70% of those eligible?

3 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

It is 70% of population or 70% of those eligible?

70% of eligible, which is about 55% of the total.

It basically means 70% eligible in Sydney and the other major cities. It doesn't mean 70% in Wilcannia or Cunnamulla. It looks like the bush will be on its own.

5 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

70% of eligible, which is about 55% of the total.

It basically means 70% eligible in Sydney and the other major cities. It doesn't mean 70% in Wilcannia or Cunnamulla. It looks like the bush will be on its own.

That's not a very high target.  On a positive note, I think you'll get there.  You are still ahead of us, anyway.  That's just one shot - not fully vaccinated?

Edited by onlyslightlymad
  • Like 1

the 70%   is 70% of people  whom thought they had a 70% chance of going somewhere, with a 70% discount   only 70% of the time,

except for those over 70 and public holidays, and at week ends, and if you are right handed and a shoe size greater than 7......

To to put it simply... when a Politician says 70% he is 70% right, 70% guessing and 70% sure they will be reelected  ... So 70% means   I just thought of a number not to high and not to low and sound believable to 70% of the people who voted for them.... 

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

That's not a very high target.

It isn't. They probably need 70% of the total, which would be closer to 90% of the eligible. That would have required a vaccine passport, jab or job, and maybe a bit of creative thinking around incentives.

That isn't happening, especially not now that the NSW govt has let the virus get on top of them and the only way out for them is to vaccine to an absolute minimum and then declare victory as soon as possible.

So it's to be a premature opening, but don't count the sick or dead, and picnics for everybody.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

And would you really want to go to a country where Covid is out of control, which many are? i.e. UK, Europe, USA, Asia, South and Central America.

All vaccinated and ready to take on the World  ☄️💥🔥🌟

• Like 4

On 9/1/2021 at 2:14 PM, NSWP said:

And would you really want to go to a country where Covid is out of control, which many are? i.e. UK, Europe, USA, Asia, South and Central America.

That would be a big NO from me even though I would love to see my UK family.

Not even interested in cruising  till the back end of 2022

Cheers Carole 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once fully vaccinated surely the risk of harm would be minimal?

With the special measures currently being implemented on cruises and all vaccinated, it gives a level of reassurance.

It maybe more risky here with association with unvaccinated people?

At least in a controlled travel/cruise environment there maybe a level of safety? 

We are denied the option at present but eventually it will change. 

• Like 1

Well Minister Hunt extended the biosecurity measures today until 17 December and that includes

• restrictions on the entry of cruise vessels within Australian territory
  • restrictions on outbound international travel for Australians

Consider it a done deal then -  no cruising this season :classic_sad:

Press release here:

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/covid-19-emergency-measures-extended-for-a-further-three-months-0

Edited by Aussieflyer

30 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

It will be very interesting to see how Australia does finally reopen especially since some states are changing the goalposts again - NSW opening when the population is at 80% vaccinated. 

That's 80% of eligible population which roughly equates to about 60% of total is what I have  heard. That would leave about 10 million unvaccinated which is still a lot of potential victims.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pully8 said:

Once fully vaccinated surely the risk of harm would be minimal?

With the special measures currently being implemented on cruises and all vaccinated, it gives a level of reassurance.

It maybe more risky here with association with unvaccinated people?

At least in a controlled travel/cruise environment there maybe a level of safety? 

We are denied the option at present but eventually it will change. 

I Agree, i will be booking toward end of next year myself and i honestly think that between vaxxed passengers and cruise companies revised health procedures a cruise ship will be safer than a walk through your local shopping centre😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kidzplay said:

I Agree, i will be booking toward end of next year myself and i honestly think that between vaxxed passengers and cruise companies revised health procedures a cruise ship will be safer than a walk through your local shopping centre😁

I certainly agree with that!

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 2:14 PM, NSWP said:

Fully vaxxed - in a heartbeat!  As long as the country was back to normal, and fun to visit.  Or in some cases if I could connect with loved ones in the country unrestricted. 

But I am one who has never let the fear of death prevent me from living what life I have to the fullest in any case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see that Royal Princess left Seattle 2 days ago and is bound for Singapore - ETA 30th September.  That would give her approximately 12 weeks to 17th December.

Does this bode well for Sydney cruises or are they clutching at straws??  Interesting.

8 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I see that Royal Princess left Seattle 2 days ago and is bound for Singapore - ETA 30th September.  That would give her approximately 12 weeks to 17th December.

Does this bode well for Sydney cruises or are they clutching at straws??  Interesting.

Oh I hope she does sail down to us! But I wouldn't bet on it.

17 minutes ago, Ondine said:

We were booked on the repositioning cruise from Singapore to Sydney in August this year. That was cancelled and moved to 2022. So if it comes here, will probably sail with crew only.

Tanya 

• Like 1

My belief is that when they come they will be crew only until they reach Australian waters.  Singapore would make the best starting point and so far she is the only ship who is coming back into our region that has cruises scheduled from Sydney. 

Pacific Explorer is still in the Singapore OPL after sitting offshore Changi earlier this week.  Maybe to do a crew exchange as the airport is there.

All other ships headed away from us. 

Celebrity Solstice and Quantum of the Seas are still hanging around Singapore but all others have gone.  Not sure what their future itineraries are.

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Very interesting indeed!

I don't think Princess would reposition the ship unless there had been strong indications that the remainder of the 21/22 season here would happen. Although it may depend on where she is going to be deployed during our winter, which I think is in Asia as her repositioning cruise from Hong Kong to Sydney late 2022 has been switched to Sapphire, and Royal is now going back to the US then. 

On 9/8/2021 at 4:15 PM, Ondine said:

Pacific Explorer is still in the Singapore OPL after sitting offshore Changi earlier this week.  Maybe to do a crew exchange as the airport is there.

It does appear she was doing crew exchange as Kevin Boag, Hotel Director on board has posted pics he took while leaving to return home.  Pac Explorer does look sad!!!  Thanks Kevin for taking these pictures.

May be an image of nature and ocean

240326371_10159108784351187_2024745627298741447_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=6y7QG2COzdEAX8mpLfV&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel8-1.fna&oh=4732dd59a9b22713ffcd1e0503d8c65f&oe=6160F646

Here is an interesting chart from Our World in Data, a project by the University of Oxford in England. Fiji is opening up on the 1 November. It will be a loooog time until Vanuatu and New Caledonia are ready to receive tourists.😌 New Zealand is leading us in the race that is not a race.😁

image.png.dd498c0ac00daa4e54d1f54b2983368e.png