Regent: It’s time to do the right thing!

gr'aunt

They will probably wait as long as they can to cancel cruises, to postpone impact on cash balance.  For those that use Regent air no real issue; for those with their own air, and flights might have been cancelled/changed, seems silly to make passengers rebook air for a cruise that will eventually be cancelled.

Marc

• Like 1

In my strong opinion, Regent is waiting to learn what in the heck the world will look like in a couple of weeks.  No one knows the answer to this question.  In my opinion, it would be foolhardy to cancel cruises too far in advance.  

I personally know all too well what it is like to wait and wonder if a cruise would be canceled.  For us, it had nothing to do with getting a refund or even FCC's.  We simply wanted to take the cruise.  I am sure that there are many Regent cruisers in this position.  

I doubt if anyone knows what Regent is thinking or why certain decisions are being made.  However, I have confidence (based on our experience with Regent), that what they are doing is not only in Regent's interest but in the interest of their loyal customers.  

Also, if people are posting (repeatedly the same thing) because they think that Regent is still reading Cruise Critic, you may be wrong.  They are rather busy with cancellations, new bookings, calculating FCC's, etc.  If you want Regent to hear you, write to them because at this point, most cruisers that are affected by the cancellations would rather learn from other posters what is happening on a day to day basis in terms of FCC's, refunds, cancellations, new bookings, etc.

The government has asked us to do many things.  One of them is to be kind and tolerant of others.  Cruise Critic might be a great place to start.  Helping each other understand by sharing our current experiences is being helpful.  Concentrating on Regent's financial health (on two threads) is not.  Maybe there should be a thread for doomsday predictions!?

• Like 1

I have an idea, rather that wondering if Regent is doing the right thing.  Why don't you do the right thing. Since we really can't do much around here---We're cleaning all our closets, anything we really don't need, clothes, towels, kitchens stuff and more.  Yes we're boxing and bagging it up to give to a charity.  In a few weeks a lot of people are going to need a lot of stuff.  Do the right thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ronrick1943 said:

I have an idea, rather that wondering if Regent is doing the right thing.  Why don't you do the right thing. Since we really can't do much around here---We're cleaning all our closets, anything we really don't need, clothes, towels, kitchens stuff and more.  Yes we're boxing and bagging it up to give to a charity.  In a few weeks a lot of people are going to need a lot of stuff.  Do the right thing.

Amen!

19 minutes ago, etual324 said:

got very impressive email video from ceo of SS very heartwarming they are not   sailing till mid may

you are next with info Regent

Even mid-May sounds overly optimistic.  We're booked in late May and I honestly don't see that one going...but we were booked Spain/Monaco/France/Italy...might be a LONG time before any ports open there...

Following from UUNetBill, I fear that May is too early. We were booked to do a similar cruise, Barcelona to Venice late July, I don’t see that happening so sadly cancelled. 

We live on a small island with a population of 63k approximately and 23 infections and a very limited number of ITU beds. Most people are flown to the UK for heart/ head or serious injuries. 

It also strikes me that visiting these places so soon after the virus is either a little disrespectful or at least distasteful in the light of the events that have happened. 

Anyway we must all look after ourselves and keep safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FWIW - Announcement from Celebrity Cruises today. I assume more lines will be reevaluating in the next little while.

"We expect to return to service on May 12, 2020. Because of announced port closures, we expect to return to service for Alaska, Canada and New England sailings July 1, 2020."

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, etual324 said:

Regent going to commence on or after April 11 as per there web site ,

i guess they plan on sailing with small load factors and what about getting passengers home ??

Which planet are they on? There is no chance of this.

UK will still be in total lockdown, Europe is closed, this is just not possible.

Airlines will not be flying to any extent by then, or even June 11th

Look at today's decision re the Olympics.

I have always thought that Regent was a good company, this is frankly reckless and ill advised.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, etual324 said:

Regent going to commence on or after April 11 as per there web site ,

I don’t think they have any intention of the cruises going ahead; IMO they are simply leaving the cancellation announcements as late as possible in order to avoid/defer refunds. 
A very cynical strategy, no doubt imposed by NCLH.

1 hour ago, etual324 said:

i guess they plan on sailing with small load factors and what about getting passengers home ??

On most of the April/May cruises it will be impossible for passengers (or crew) to get to the ship for embarkation, let alone get back home after the cruise.

• Like 2

Regent does have an announcement. https://www.rssc.com/coronavirus-statement?fbclid=IwAR0bvadMTkn8EVCzKnRNHDzN3y3-T-Cq6-jn00uIGYxAuY0JueU3asUaBH4

I disagree that it would be impossible for passengers to get to the ship for embarkation.  We have a cruise booked in May and there are plenty of flights available (we are looking at Lufthansa).  Three of the ports that we potentially will visit have no cases of the virus.  

It is frustrating to see predictions that are not based on fact.  It appears that Regent has every intention to go forward with cruises once the 30 days has elapsed!

We are in unchartered territory with COVID-19, so facts are difficult to gather, to support either theory. My gut tells me that if cruises are operating in May, it will be on a very limited basis and exclude many countries and ports. I for one wouldn't hold high hopes for a worthwhile cruise in May. In fact, I am likely to cancel a cruise I have scheduled in September before my final payment is due in May. Most of the world has yet to reach a peak for the outbreak of this virus including the US. It will take a miracle, and it's happened before, for this "thing" to go away by summer.

The Regent link TC2 included states:

Denial of boarding will occur in the following cases:

• Guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, or countries or regions identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html) within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality. Travel companions of these guests who share the same suite will also be denied boarding.

Regent re-booked our flights to Dubai on April 11th to flights on April 12th because the orginal flights were removed by  the carrier (BA). Our new flights pass through LHR which would indicate we will be denied boarding since the CDC website referenced in the Regent protocol lists the UK as:

United Kingdom reported 669 new cases of COVID-19 on 2020-03-23. In total, 5687 cases have been reported there.

Reported cases of COVID-19 are widespread and transmission is ongoing in United Kingdom.

So the flights Regent has booked for us violate their own protocol. 

Edited by labonnevie
added information for clarity

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regent does have an announcement. https://www.rssc.com/coronavirus-statement?fbclid=IwAR0bvadMTkn8EVCzKnRNHDzN3y3-T-Cq6-jn00uIGYxAuY0JueU3asUaBH4

I disagree that it would be impossible for passengers to get to the ship for embarkation.  We have a cruise booked in May and there are plenty of flights available (we are looking at Lufthansa).  Three of the ports that we potentially will visit have no cases of the virus.  

It is frustrating to see predictions that are not based on fact.  It appears that Regent has every intention to go forward with cruises once the 30 days has elapsed!

Predictions, almost by definition, aren't based on facts.  So taking Regent's stated message as a factual account of what will happen in 3 weeks is really a prediction.  My prediction: not going to happen.   

Maybe June, but probably later.  Airlines are still reducing their capacity, especially trans-Atlantic.  United has cut 13 of 15 flights form Dulles to Europe, leaving for the moment, just 2 flights to London.  European airlines are doing the same.  Austrian (a Lufthansa family member) has cancelled ALL of its flights, intra-European and overseas, until late April.  Spain is locked down, for the moment, until after the Explorer would need to be underway to Barcelona.  France is, according to reports, likely to extend their lockdown through the end of April.  The UK's lockdown lasts until after the Explorer needs to be underway.

Who would be on cruises in April or May given the "worst-case" option of full FCC?  They are not even trying to sell these cruises, so the probable light load (based on earlier examination of availabilities) will only diminish as people take the FCC.  We love Regent, but I see their statement as an attempt to get booked passengers to blink first and thus let Regent avoid refunding their cruises in cash.  We fully expect to see our cruise (4 May on Explorer) cancelled in the next week or 2, but will hold out until 2 May if need be.  And, when cancelled, we'll ask for the refund since we already have quite a bit invested in Regent's survival in the form of deposits on cruises farther out.

4 hours ago, Portolan said:

Predictions, almost by definition, aren't based on facts.  So taking Regent's stated message as a factual account of what will happen in 3 weeks is really a prediction.  My prediction: not going to happen.   

Maybe June, but probably later.  Airlines are still reducing their capacity, especially trans-Atlantic.  United has cut 13 of 15 flights form Dulles to Europe, leaving for the moment, just 2 flights to London.  European airlines are doing the same.  Austrian (a Lufthansa family member) has cancelled ALL of its flights, intra-European and overseas, until late April.  Spain is locked down, for the moment, until after the Explorer would need to be underway to Barcelona.  France is, according to reports, likely to extend their lockdown through the end of April.  The UK's lockdown lasts until after the Explorer needs to be underway.

Who would be on cruises in April or May given the "worst-case" option of full FCC?  They are not even trying to sell these cruises, so the probable light load (based on earlier examination of availabilities) will only diminish as people take the FCC.  We love Regent, but I see their statement as an attempt to get booked passengers to blink first and thus let Regent avoid refunding their cruises in cash.  We fully expect to see our cruise (4 May on Explorer) cancelled in the next week or 2, but will hold out until 2 May if need be.  And, when cancelled, we'll ask for the refund since we already have quite a bit invested in Regent's survival in the form of deposits on cruises farther out.

I must have been in an optimistic mood when I wrote that.  I do know that the odds of actually sailing are slim.  When we booked the cruise, things looked a bit better than do right now (plus we really hoped for a vacation before the summer).  

6 hours ago, labonnevie said:

The Regent link TC2 included states:

Denial of boarding will occur in the following cases:

• Guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, or countries or regions identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html) within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality. Travel companions of these guests who share the same suite will also be denied boarding.

Regent re-booked our flights to Dubai on April 11th to flights on April 12th because the orginal flights were removed by  the carrier (BA). Our new flights pass through LHR which would indicate we will be denied boarding since the CDC website referenced in the Regent protocol lists the UK as:

United Kingdom reported 669 new cases of COVID-19 on 2020-03-23. In total, 5687 cases have been reported there.

Reported cases of COVID-19 are widespread and transmission is ongoing in United Kingdom.

So the flights Regent has booked for us violate their own protocol. 

No chance of LHR on April 12th, BA will not be operating this and Heathrow will not be open to tourists from badly affected places like California.

Regent needs to get real.  !!!!!

• Like 1

I do not think that Americans have grasped what is now happening in the UK. Let me fill you in on some of the detail, essentially people are advised not to go out unless essential. Many over 70's and those with medical conditions should remain at home for 12 weeks(yes weeks not days ). All schools, colleges are shut, all pubs, cafés , restaurants are shut. Most non essential shops food and pharmacy are now closed. No churches are open, no acts of worship- funerals only at crematoria, cemetery with minimal numbers of mourners. Supermarkets are applying social distancing 2 metres apart and limiting numbers allowed in at any time. Everywhere is eerily quiet. Many if they can are working from home using the internet, Skype etc putting pressure on broadband. This is the UK still not as affected and behind Italy Spain and France on the virus.

Yet you get posts talking about cruises starting up in 3 weeks time !!!!!

With full optimism July is the earliest that Regent can even think of restarting this side of the pond, that's if the infrastructure has survived this hit, many airlines are in deep trouble, lots of business will simply do well to come out the other side of this

That's why I repeat which planet are Regent on !!! Just listen to Gov. Cuerno in NY

Can we get reality back here, this is not.

• Like 1

The way that I understand it is that the peak could be in twelve weeks time, therefore we have to go down the other side of the slope. Hence our July cruise cancelled, sadly.

Just looking forward to another Regent cruise sometime soon.

10 hours ago, flossie009 said:

On most of the April/May cruises it will be impossible for passengers (or crew) to get to the ship for embarkation, let alone get back home after the cruise.

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I disagree that it would be impossible for passengers to get to the ship for embarkation.

The embarkation ports that Regent have scheduled for April & May are New York, Miami, Barcelona, Lisbon, Abu Dhabi, Piraeus, Southampton & Haifa.

Most of the countries in which those ports are located have a ban on the entry of foreign nationals; those bans extend into April and either have no end date or are likely to be extended into May.

In addition many countries, including the USA & UK, have warned against non-essential international travel and have particularly warned against travel on cruise ships.

As others have said, more & more country lock-downs are being announced and airlines & airports are shutting down worldwide.

8 hours ago, Portolan said:

We love Regent, but I see their statement as an attempt to get booked passengers to blink first and thus let Regent avoid refunding their cruises in cash.

I agree that is the NCLH/Regent strategy, but continuing to insist that cruises from April 12 will proceed is reckless.

Most people are sensible but some may attempt to travel to the embarkation port in advance of the cruise date, thereby putting themselves & others in danger ............ and potentially stranding themselves away from their home country. 

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Enjoy your May cruise!  I hope that it sails and you are safe, don't miss any ports, don't get sick, don't get quarantined in a foreign country, can fly to and from your cruise, etc.

I hope that you are right that when your cruise comes up in May everything is back to normal.  

8 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Enjoy your May cruise!  I hope that it sails and you are safe, don't miss any ports, don't get sick, don't get quarantined in a foreign country, can fly to and from your cruise, etc.

I hope that you are right that when your cruise comes up in May everything is back to normal.  

Sorry, which planet are you on?

GET REAL