Cruise Critic App is back but some issues

11 hours ago, drsel said:

Is the new cruise critic forums app working either directly or through Tapatalk?

@drsel Howdy!  emo22.gif

I have merged your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum into the existing March 20. 2020 thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum titled Cruise Critic App is back but some issues.

If nothing in this thread helps you, I suggest you send an email to help@cruisecritic.com from your Cruise Critic email address of record & be sure to include your Cruise Critic user name. Also, explain the situation with lots of details such as the type of device you are using, any pertinant screen shots, etc. 

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

22 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

IMG_0816.thumb.JPG.f1d5e5eefe16a00142fea3529c942543.JPG&key=adb02569f07f96ac97241482229d6962956564ee092157c5bc1de826337824d8IMG_0815.thumb.JPG.38fa36c26f6f914491ff115b13fece1e.JPG&key=65d2d56eb749854bf49113a59704fc78376fd0ee598947170b865590013ae45dThe hamburger menu is the three white lines at the top right. The image below that is the drop down menu to sign in and out from.

Sorry - it just doesn't work (logs me in but also shows login pop up again and no subscribe /participate access). Here's the sequence I'm using:

IMG_4821.PNG

IMG_4822.PNG

IMG_4823.PNG

IMG_4824.PNG

IMG_4825.PNG

IMG_4826.PNG

IMG_4827.PNG

IMG_4828.PNG

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

The bug in logging in is that after you log in with the first log in box, if another pops up you close it, don’t fill in again. Then close the page behind it to get to the app from the browser pages being popped up. You should be logged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The bug in logging in is that after you log in with the first log in box, if another pops up you close it, don’t fill in again. Then close the page behind it to get to the app from the browser pages being popped up. You should be logged in.

Tried that multiple times even after dumping/reloading app and dumping cookies.

No good. Though logged in - no access. To subscribed/participated - only timeline. 

But I can see my notifications in hamburger menu.

I've sent a note to CC help desk.

• Like 1

Tried that multiple times even after dumping/reloading app and dumping cookies.
No good. Though logged in - no access. To subscribed/participated - only timeline. 
But I can see my notifications in hamburger menu.
I've sent a note to CC help desk.

Did you try clearing the cache in settings within app?

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

... Please fix

Thanks

FYI to all,

Posting on this thread will not "git 'er done". For questions/comments/feedback/suggestions regarding the management of anything in the Cruise Critic community please email the Community Manager per the following portions of the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

... The Community Manager has overall control of everything that happens within the Community. The Community Manager oversees how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, is responsible for our Rules of Participation, what information to require from members and who to appoint as Community Hosts. You may contact the Community Manager at: community@cruisecritic.com...

... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

LauraS

Senior Manager, Community
community@cruisecritic.com...

Please note when sending your email to the Community Manager, be sure to send it from your Cruise Critic email address of record and mention your user name.

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Additional information.

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Did you try clearing the cache in settings within app?

Cleared app cache. Dumped and reloaded app

then went back in and followed your instructions: log in from forums hamburger menu; get rid of second login box that appears after logging in; close page behind it; try to access subscribe/participate: NO go. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Cleared app cache. Dumped and reloaded app

then went back in and followed your instructions: log in from forums hamburger menu; get rid of second login box that appears after logging in; close page behind it; try to access subscribe/participate: NO go. 

The glitch (at least for me) is that the app appears to be confusing itself by duplicating the mobile version.

check out this pic below. When you back out after logging in as discussed earlier, look at the page under the login pop up. It shows the mobile version appearance and not the app appearance (little red notification numbers).

in any case, I give up. Don't like the ads anyway. But still a shame nonetheless.

• Like 1

I've also given up on the app for the same reason.

@CC Help Jenn is this issue being worked on?

Huh? You said many times you did not use the app or see any reason for an app. Which is fine. People satisfied with the mobile browser should continue using it but now you claim to have given up. Please.

I have been using the app exclusively for reading and posting. It definitely can be tricky and needs to be fixed. I don’t blame people for giving up until the log in issue is fixed.

21 minutes ago, broberts said:

I've also given up on the app for the same reason.

@CC Help Jenn is this issue being worked on?

It appears that, beyond the login screen issue, the actual login is confusing the app interface with the mobile version interface. So, login gives you access to your mobile version notifications but not to the app's subscribed/participant links. Clearing the app cache doesn't help.

What a shame. 

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Huh? You said many times you did not use the app or see any reason for an app. Which is fine. People satisfied with the mobile browser should continue using it but now you claim to have given up. Please.

I have been using the app exclusively for reading and posting. It definitely can be tricky and needs to be fixed. I don’t blame people for giving up until the log in issue is fixed.

FWIW: I had used the app exclusively before it went belly-up. I'd use it again (even with the ads) if the subscribed/participant functions worked. Those are what made the app so attractive/useful in the original version.

That said, there really is a significant problem and, though I am no techie, it's clear that some confusion between app and mobile is in the mix.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

FWIW: I had used the app exclusively before it went belly-up. I'd use it again (even with the ads) if the subscribed/participant functions worked. Those are what made the app so attractive/useful in the original version.

That said, there really is a significant problem and, though I am no techie, it's clear that some confusion between app and mobile is in the mix.

The subscribed/participant functions work for me. Those functions are major reason why I use the app. I would call myself tech talented. But people should not need to be techie or tech talented. There really is a log in problem that needs to be fixed. In these abnormal times while it would be nice for them to fix it I won’t be bugging them to fix it. Rather they devote their time to keep the boards running for users. I am just thankful I can use the app.

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't use the app. I recently installed it to check it out and to use as a reference when providing help. I have been frustrated with the login issue and have yet to find a reasonable workaround.

I don't personally see a reason to use the app, but others seem to prefer that sort of interface. 

I don't use the app. I recently installed it to check it out and to use as a reference when providing help. I have been frustrated with the login issue and have yet to find a reasonable workaround.

I don't personally see a reason to use the app, but others seem to prefer that sort of interface. 

I don’t seem to have a problem with the app. I used the subscribed feature all the time. I have never seen the participated tab, and can’t figure out how to get it, but I’m not going to worry about it, as it might mess up what is currently working for me

I don’t seem to have a problem with the app. I used the subscribed feature all the time. I have never seen the participated tab, and can’t figure out how to get it, but I’m not going to worry about it, as it might mess up what is currently working for me  Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the Discussion section, Participated is to the right of Subscribed. That is actually what I usually use the most. There is Timeline, Unread, Subscribed and Participated.  

In the Forums section I use Subscribed. There the choice is Categories and Subscribed.

I also use the Notifications.

It all works for me in the iOS version and I don’t think I am “special” but getting there is confusing and confusing to explain. It should not be that way.

18 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I don’t seem to have a problem with the app. I used the subscribed feature all the time. I have never seen the participated tab, and can’t figure out how to get it, but I’m not going to worry about it, as it might mess up what is currently working for me

I'm glad you don't seem to have any issues logging in and find the app useful. 

I was finally able to login after reinstalling the app. I potty a first time user being presented with a blank login popup after successfully logging in. How are they to guess that touching DONE gets them to the app home screen?

Sometimes when the app doesn't work you have to simply logout and login again and then it will work
This problem happens on a daily basis.
you have to logout and login again every time

This problem happens on a daily basis.
you have to logout and login again every time

Are you sure you have the latest version? I’ve been running Forums for iPhone for a while and I haven’t had to sign on in quite some time. However, I only use the Forums section.

2 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Are you sure you have the latest version? I’ve been running Forums for iPhone for a while and I haven’t had to sign on in quite some time. However, I only use the Forums section.

The new version problems are with the subscribed/participant functions and the IT folks ("help@....") are non-responsive.

Read the thread for details...

The new version problems are with the subscribed/participant functions and the IT folks ("help@....") are non-responsive.
Read the thread for details...

Trying to figure out why subscribed/participant works for me and not for you I was wondering if you are using the latest iOS 13? You are the only one who has reported that particular issue. I use subscribed/participant many times every day.