P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

13 hours ago, tring said:

I had asked on a previous thread if you knew whether people in balcony cabins would be moved to another balcony cabin if they test positive for COVID and then moved to a quarantine area of the ship - do you know anything about that?  Being moved would be a nuisance, but would not want to go on a cruise at all if we were risking being locked in a cabin without a balcony.

I think cruise companies understand that being trapped in an inside room and not able to leave is an issue and I wouldn't expect that passengers who were moved for isolation would be moved to an inside or sea-view cabin.

In fairness to the crew of the Diamond Princess, they identified very early on that they could not keep passengers confined to their inside cabins for two weeks with no natural light or fresh air. This resulted in the exercise hours up on deck but this in itself had its own risks.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The sale of Azamara shows any sale is possible.

Indeed. Azamara was not performing badly... but the cash was useful to RCI Group. For now, I can't elaborate on "hmmm".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

Bird Watch weekend is next week 29th - 31st so you still have time. Get the biccies out ready for the tea!

Well that's home learning for this week scuppered then ---- how did I get that wrong ??? Oh well, have just been out and taken some great photos of the furry friends in my garden so I can still use them as a build up to next weekend. Ooops. Thanks for the heads up !

59 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have just been watching a robin evicting a magpie from our bird feeder.  It amazes me how the robins definitely rule our garden, size obviously doesn't matter to them.

As someone who is just about 5ft tall I couldn't agree more 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I think cruise companies understand that being trapped in an inside room and not able to leave is an issue and I wouldn't expect that passengers who were moved for isolation would be moved to an inside or sea-view cabin.

In fairness to the crew of the Diamond Princess, they identified very early on that they could not keep passengers confined to their inside cabins for two weeks with no natural light or fresh air. This resulted in the exercise hours up on deck but this in itself had its own risks.

Indeed. Azamara was not performing badly... but the cash was useful to RCI Group. For now, I can't elaborate on "hmmm".

Sorry, where was the 'hmmmmm' and what comment was it after - I can't find it.

I think a few posters have said the same thing, which I do agree: The longer this goes on, the more the need to consolidate operations continues.

Carnival have publicly said that the have the funds to last out 2021 in a zero revenue market. But its no good getting to 2022 and having to shut the doors as you've got nothing left. There will come a point in 2021, for all cruise lines, where more drastic action has to be taken in order to survive in 2022.

My prediction is that if next Winter looks like its going to be like this winter, at some point in the summer, a significant number of ships across the industry will be laid up semi-permanently. It won't be the oldest ships, they will be scrapped. It won't be the newest largest ships - they are the easiest to restart.

If It wasn't for the fact that P&O and Cunard are so integrated below brand proposition/ship offering, i'd get worried that one of the brands would disappear. The same could said for P&O Australia if it wasn't for the fact that its managed as part of Carnival Australia's offering.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2021 at 1:23 PM, Eddie99 said:

Had a delivery of my new vacuum, the expensive Dyson one having given up the ghost after 3 years.  Shall have a clean house now.  Is it me being mean to my vacuums or are they the least reliable of household electricals? I seem to have had (and killed) dozens of vacuums but I could tick off the washing machines I’ve had over nearly 50 years on the fingers (no thumbs) of one and a bit hands (I’m on my sixth), from a twin tub to an all-singing, all-dancing combined washer drier.

We (or should I say I) had a habit of killing modern style vacuum cleaners including a Dyson. However, we've had a Miele cylinder cleaner for years which is fantastic so I decided to buy an old fashioned Miele Dynamic U1 upright cleaner and it's pretty much bombproof. It's old fashioned, big and heavy, 1500 watts (which at the time of purchase was just insde the EU limit) and never let me down.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well here is some information that you might find useful, something that brightened my morning too. My favourite wine merchants is now doing a very decent red bag in a box style, perfect for taking onboard for a glass on the balcony.

I’ve tried other box wines and they are usually passable but not great. I have however had a case of stones and bones before and it’s a very drinkable Portuguese. 

Has anyone found other decent wines in a box? I’ve tried a few from supermarkets but they never quite hit the mark for me. Red in this form is particularly handy as I’m the only one who drinks it so the bottle spoils before I get round to finishing it, goes flabby after a couple of days even with a cap on and ends up in the spag Bol.

We've enjoyed Stones & Bones in a bottle so I'm definitely going to order a box (from my favourite wine retailer too!).

Over the last few weeks we've enjoyed Galodoro Reserve 2018 in a box (from the online wine retailer with no clothes on 😉).

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 11:38 AM, grapau27 said:

Damian.

I'm so sorry to hear everything you and your family have gone through and I'm delighted to hear you have got your foot back onto the employment ladder and hopefully it leads to a more permanent position.

Best wishes from Pauline and myself.

Graham.

Guess what? 🙂

• Like 8

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Thanks for replying.

Just now, grapau27 said:

Sounds like you have had fantastic news.

Congratulations if you are now full time,you certainly deserve it.

Graham.

Yes, signed a full time contract last week. Same company I worked for all my life (and never wanted to leave), great team, already knew the manager and some of the others but everyone has been welcoming. Working from home, 9am-6pm is taking a bit of getting used to but there's a lot of flexibility within that. If and when things get back to normal I'll be in London once or twice a month which I used to do anyway and will look forward to. Such a relief after everything else that has happened.

Thanks to you and everyone else for their kind wishes, it means a lot.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DamianG said:

Yes, signed a full time contract last week. Same company I worked for all my life (and never wanted to leave), great team, already knew the manager and some of the others but everyone has been welcoming. Working from home, 9am-6pm is taking a bit of getting used to but there's a lot of flexibility within that. If and when things get back to normal I'll be in London once or twice a month which I used to do anyway and will look forward to. Such a relief after everything else that has happened.

I'm delighted for you and your family Damian.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Fantastic, Damian! Sounds like the absolutely perfect outcome to a very difficult period. Well done - they obviously wanted you back.

With you on Miele vacuums, by the way, though by comparison that’s a triviality.

Harry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Brilliant news, good luck for the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Congratulations, really pleased for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1