P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

My three, in their 20s, are still living at home, and it’s lovely! But since I started earning, I would never have asked my parents for money nor would I have accepted any had they offered it. They’ve given plenty of support in other ways though, for which I’ll always be grateful. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I still help my son & daughter out financially occasionally and they are in their thirties. My parents did the same for me when I separated from my first husband. It must be a parent thing 

Michelle 

I know where you are at. I had 3 brothers 2 of which one older and one younger who have both died with cancer. My remaining Brother and my SIL have 4 kids between them. It has become very real over the last 3 years that they see my brother and his wife as  an unlimited source of cash. I know what you say but when do you say no? My SIL is beside herself she just does not know how to say no. My brother is just as challenged as they are not his kids but he sees them as such. They have both asked me to help. Poisoned chalice calls to mind. Thinking.

17 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Does anybody actually put their car in the garage? It’s just got me thinking that very few people have garages around here, and those that do most certainly don’t put their car in them! 

We do in winter or if we are going away

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Does anybody actually put their car in the garage? It’s just got me thinking that very few people have garages around here, and those that do most certainly don’t put their car in them! 

Our garage is at the other end of the road to us and the  only time my car has been in it was when I wasn’t able to drive and had a SORN on the car. At present it is full of my daughter’s furniture as she moved out of a house into a furnished house share.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pete14 said:

If you have, so have I. All I know is that 2 years of our social history has been taken away from us. I hope no one person is seen as responsible for that loss.

No one person has been responsible for the removal of the thread as it is IMO a CC decision but there has been somebody trying to put the blame on someone incorrectly.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Not cruising or buying travel insurance has left us quids in.   We have 2 booked in 2023, but not getting over excited about either of them.

We are seriously considering moving our October cruise to next year. Nothing to do with 'you know what' just that we can't seem to dredge up any enthusiasm at all. Maybe  by next year after reading about everyone's cruises I'll be feeling more excited.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

We have a double garage, half used as storage, but we get one of our cars in the other sits  on the drive. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We are seriously considering moving our October cruise to next year. Nothing to do with 'you know what' just that we can't seem to dredge up any enthusiasm at all. Maybe  by next year after reading about everyone's cruises I'll be feeling more excited.

Avril

Avril, yes, exactly what we felt and moved the same one I think>

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Just got back from lovely chatty long lunch at friends' house which I had not seen since they moved in a year ago.  They are around my age, and with a few health problems, but still cooked a full three course meal, with a sherry and some wine, and we put the world to rights at the same time.  I need hardly say what the topics of conversation were at present, but they included the fox hounds and hunters which had recently been in their garden, and the horrors of Hermes deliveries.  The others were the obvious ones!  Warms the cockles to have kind generous friends.

Can I ask Graham for a vague  idea of where he and Pauline are?  Certainly looks like it may be 
Spain.  I am not envious today, as I have had such a nice time.

We had a lovely Valentine's dinner.

It was so nice I forgot to take photos of every course.

Graham.

IMG_20220212_185712.jpg

IMG_20220212_185803.jpg

IMG_20220212_185932.jpg

IMG_20220212_185951.jpg

IMG_20220212_190449.jpg

IMG_20220212_195729.jpg

IMG_20220212_201526.jpg

IMG_20220212_203502.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

My three, in their 20s, are still living at home, and it’s lovely! But since I started earning, I would never have asked my parents for money nor would I have accepted any had they offered it. They’ve given plenty of support in other ways though, for which I’ll always be grateful. 

This is me and my Brothers. Our parents were never able to help us other than unlike their peers they did not insist we left school at 15. My mum worked in a factory Monday to Friday and cooked for a posh house at the weekends. My Dad did whatever he could over and above his job. I don't have kids but all of my brothers wanted to do the best they could. 2 of them died young. The problem is now when my Brother's 2 and SIL 2 see them as just a source of money. They have had tens of thousands but still they ask. My SIL is now on the verge of a breakdown with the stress as she and my brother just want to fund their retirement. I have been asked to help (not with money as i have given all of them loads over time) but in dealing with how do you now say NO? 

8 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

It was worth getting dragged around IKEA this morning to see Aurora in all her glory from the car park roof... 

She looks so tiny compared to Iona parked just down the road.. 

Andy 

IMG_20220212_144657.jpg

Didn't you have the Swedish meat balls ? Makes the journey worthwhile! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

Can I ask Graham for a vague  idea of where he and Pauline are?  Certainly looks like it may be 
Spain.  I

Graham does have a favourite hotel in Belamadena, so he could be there. 

The hotel looks lovely, but Belamadena is not for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

This is me and my Brothers. Our parents were never able to help us other than unlike their peers they did not insist we left school at 15. My mum worked in a factory Monday to Friday and cooked for a posh house at the weekends. My Dad did whatever he could over and above his job. I don't have kids but all of my brothers wanted to do the best they could. 2 of them died young. The problem is now when my Brother's 2 and SIL 2 see them as just a source of money. They have had tens of thousands but still they ask. My SIL is now on the verge of a breakdown with the stress as she and my brother just want to fund their retirement. I have been asked to help (not with money as i have given all of them loads over time) but in dealing with how do you now say NO? 

Difficult one! And yet, it should be so easy to say no! I don’t know the full story, but I can’t help wonder whether there were family splits years ago which possibly made both parents over-compensate. It’s just that I’ve taught so many children over the years and seen how parents react following separations and sadly, following bereavements too, Very often they over-compensate with money etc, and the children, although miserable, get used to getting their own way. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Difficult one! And yet, it should be so easy to say no! I don’t know the full story, but I can’t help wonder whether there were family splits years ago which possibly made both parents over-compensate. It’s just that I’ve taught so many children over the years and seen how parents react following separations and sadly, following bereavements too, Very often they over-compensate with money etc, and the children, although miserable, get used to getting their own way. 

Not giving to much away, regarding my full understanding of this situation, but the answer is I am pleased to be your Brother/Sister, I am not your parent, and I am not your bank.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

My Honda Jazz just about fits into the garage and I can just about get out of the car once I’ve edged it in!

The reason it goes in there is either bad weather, someone visiting (so they can park on drive) or to be protected from becoming splattered with yellow debris from the nearby bees kept by a neighbour!!

I can understand older houses having small garages but not ones built in the last 15 years…..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Graham does have a favourite hotel in Belamadena, so he could be there. 

The hotel looks lovely, but Belamadena is not for us.

5* Hotel Vincci Aleysa.

Hotel is the reason for us Wowzz.

Mijas,Puerto Benus,Malaga,Torremolinos are all nearby by taxi.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Paulines car spends most of the year in our garage.

My car is on our drive and used daily.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ccpm said:

I am risking we may be back to normal. Graham you may remember you posted a picture of a dog and cake. I contacted you and Pauline supplied me with the details. The wedding of my niece has been an ongoing saga for so long it has been very much a non celebration. BUT just to report they were married 5 weeks ago and they had no family there BUT afterwards they asked my Brother to foot the bill. That is why he is here this weekend he thinks I might help him understand it. A short while ago SIL was here asking if I could help her understand both that and her sons attitude which saw her as their bank, I am mystified is there a manual? I do not have kids and do not know.

Happy to hear the wedding took place Emma 

Your brother and SIL are trying it on to guilt trip you in paying.

I paid for an all expenses 30 day cruise and stay around Australia and New Zealand for Pauline's sister and her husband and less than a year later they turned against us and Sarah and haven't spoken to any of us for 5 years.

Only do what you want to do Emma and don't feel you have to do anything.

Graham

• Like 1

Good morning hope everyone's ok on this Valentine weekend :classic_love:

I know the days tomorrow but Monday's don't seem romantic do they ?

Takes me back to my youthful years where on valentines I would be inundated :classic_smile:

(In other words stayed in and was undated :classic_mellow:)  All the shops are cashing in on it as well

but I'm not sure Asda fully gets the spirit of Valentines Day.

Cards with " Be My One and Only True Love " are selling for £1.50 Or 3 for £3.  :classic_unsure::classic_wacko:

The Beatles  once sang  "Can't buy me love" and  with that in mind .....
Nothing says "I love you" more than a 'Two for £20 Valentine's meal' at Wetherspoons :classic_love:

For Mrs K I've sent off for these beauties ... 58376.jpg.4fd4220906d29f05908e0e522f540d3f.jpg

Whatever your up to today ,stay safe/loveable and have a good day :classic_love::classic_smile:♥️♥️

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

16 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good morning hope everyone's ok on this Valentine weekend :classic_love:

I know the days tomorrow but Monday's don't seem romantic do they ?

Takes me back to my youthful years where on valentines I would be inundated :classic_smile:

(In other words stayed in and was undated :classic_mellow:)  All the shops are cashing in on it as well

but I'm not sure Asda fully gets the spirit of Valentines Day.

Cards with " Be My One and Only True Love " are selling for £1.50 Or 3 for £3.  :classic_unsure::classic_wacko:

The Beatles  once sang  "Can't buy me love" and  with that in mind .....
Nothing says "I love you" more than a 'Two for £20 Valentine's meal' at Wetherspoons :classic_love:

For Mrs K I've sent off for these beauties ... 58376.jpg.4fd4220906d29f05908e0e522f540d3f.jpg

Whatever your up to today ,stay safe/loveable and have a good day :classic_love::classic_smile:♥️♥️

Love it.

• Like 1