P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just now, Beckett said:

Thanks Eglesbrech. I will. I refuse  to be beaten on this one. Have a good day. Jane.xx

That’s the spirit. 

If you ever feel you are gong to slip I can nag at you if you like, my husband says I am very good at it and could provide a reference😀

I don’t know you but from your posts I get the impression that you definitely won’t be beaten on anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Spot on, as I said in a previous post Sainsbury tinned spag 21p Heinz 90p,no brainer.

Too right. Rip-off branded goods are an absolute last resort so far as I’m concerned. Ludicrous prices, rarely any better than own label, and usually made on the very same production lines to near identical formulations.

Even the fabled Heinz Tomato Ketchup, which people seem to stick with, can easily be matched in blind tastings. And for less than half the price.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Too right. Rip-off branded goods are an absolute last resort so far as I’m concerned. Ludicrous prices, rarely any better than own label, and usually made on the very same production lines to near identical formulations.

Even the fabled Heinz Tomato Ketchup, which people seem to stick with, can easily be matched in blind tastings. And for less than half the price.

More people are coming to the same conclusion Harry and buying the own brands. That’s why the percentage price rises for them are so much higher than for the named brands. Pure profiteering.

For a while there the supermarkets were withdrawing own brand stock until they were called out for it.

I do think some of the value supermarkets are a bit cheeky with the names and livery colours they use to mimic the know brands. It would be easy to pick up the wrong thing unintentionally.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

No we don't.

Some of it down to profiteering by the large supermarkets. There was an article on radio Scotland about this and research has shown that while some items have gone up due to legitimate higher production costs eg eggs and milk others have been ramped up unnecessarily.

As an example the more people have moved to buying the budget own brand range foods the higher the prices have got for them. The same percentage rise has not been applied to the more luxury end of the market with the same basic ingredients so it’s not to do with production 

Same as farmers markets,  cut out the middleman and charge the punters more money . Ooo, arrr those townies won't notice we are conning them. I have seen chickens going cheep.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

But as our friend EB has pointed out, own brands seem to be going up in price by a higher percentage than branded. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

But as our friend EB has pointed out, own brands seem to be going up in price by a higher percentage than branded. 

They may well be - Aldi and Lidl prices certainly are. But when you start off at half the price of the branded equivalent, it’s still a big saving.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone and Happy Sunday.

Just been catching up with the food prices posts. My biggest beef is the cost of my favourite coffee - Nescafe Azera. We now have a smaller tin and a much bigger price. Used to be £4.70, now £6.20 - unless it's on special  offer in which case it's sold out. I know, first world problems! 

This giving up smoking lark ain't easy! Went to collect my vape on Friday and the shop didn't have the right strength liquid - in stock again late tomorrow apparently. Anyway I bought the vape and a stronger strength liquid to keep me going until Monday. Too strong. I've been coughing non-stop since I tried it. So, I bought a minimum strength throw away bar from my local newsagent which I'm actually getting on fine with - no cough at all. I'll go back again tomorrow to the proper vape shop, have another consultation, and hopefully re-adjust to the right strength. Still determined!

Good day for me today - Arsenal v Man U this afternoon and Happy Valley tonight.

I hope you all have a good day today and mind the slippery pavements.

Best wishes. Jane.xxx

My hubby will be watching that match too today I am sure.

My favourite coffee too Jane, I usually manage to get a small one in Home Bargains for £3 and more recently have been able to get the larger ones at Tesco or Sainsbury’s on offer at £5.

Well done on your start to been a non-smoker

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Same as farmers markets,  cut out the middleman and charge the punters more money . Ooo, arrr those townies won't notice we are conning them. I have seen chickens going cheep.

When I lived in Buckinghamshire I was always amazed at the high prices charged by (presumably farmers) selling fruit  in lay-bys. Virtually no overheads but much more expensive then supermarkets and greengrocers 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

And it gets worse for people who buy the low sugar/ salts products. Heinz Tomato Ketchup

reduced version will cost £4 or more a bottle .

My Mrs recently bought a packet of sage & onion stuffing (low salt ) When she told me the price 

I nearly choked on it .

Anyone checked out the price of those Benecol drinks and spreads lately ? 😲

Thankfully there are a few alternatives out there but for some people with intolerances,

such as milk it can come at a cost when buying oat, soya and nut versions .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone and Happy Sunday.

Just been catching up with the food prices posts. My biggest beef is the cost of my favourite coffee - Nescafe Azera. We now have a smaller tin and a much bigger price. Used to be £4.70, now £6.20 - unless it's on special  offer in which case it's sold out. I know, first world problems! 

This giving up smoking lark ain't easy! Went to collect my vape on Friday and the shop didn't have the right strength liquid - in stock again late tomorrow apparently. Anyway I bought the vape and a stronger strength liquid to keep me going until Monday. Too strong. I've been coughing non-stop since I tried it. So, I bought a minimum strength throw away bar from my local newsagent which I'm actually getting on fine with - no cough at all. I'll go back again tomorrow to the proper vape shop, have another consultation, and hopefully re-adjust to the right strength. Still determined!

Good day for me today - Arsenal v Man U this afternoon and Happy Valley tonight.

I hope you all have a good day today and mind the slippery pavements.

Best wishes. Jane.xxx

Once you get the correct strength Jane you'll be fine. If you're getting on well with the throwaway then it seems you will take to vaping quickly. Take your throwaway with you so they can see the strength you're comfortable with.

Onwards and upwards Jane. x

Avril

• Like 3

3 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Yesterday was Chinese New Year's Eve! We're now into the year of the rabbit! Billions of people hope trust and believe that the sign of Rabbit is a symbol of longevity, peace, and prosperity and that 2023 is predicted to be a year of hope. 

So to everyone on this cold misty morning ... a wish of long-life, peace, prosperity and hope for the future!

Thank you for the good wishes and the same to you .😉

I bet it was great listening to the Grimie Brass Band  ,good owd Yorkshire music !

Did they play "Everyone likes Kung Fu Fighting " ? 😉

With the dates so close together, down our road some friends of mine are organising a joint

Chinese New Year celebration and Burn's Night supper - they're calling it Chinese Burns Night.:classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

If you have found an own label tomato ketchup that is equal to Heinz please let me know, similarly with HP sauce, I have never found a satisfactory own brand.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you have found an own label tomato ketchup that is equal to Heinz please let me know, similarly with HP sauce, I have never found a satisfactory own brand.

My wife would agree with you on the HP sauce, having tried most of the equivalents. As for the tomato, tastes vary, but blind tastings have usually let Heinz down and people have chosen various alternatives as better. In terms of actual tomato content, Heinz isn’t a leader - maybe it’s the sugar and salt.

47 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We now buy Morrisons own brand. It tastes more Tomatoie. Heinz now tastes a bit too sweet. Sorry, but mo substitute for HP, nor lea & perrins...IMVHO🥓

Heinz tomato ketchup for us. It's actually made with tomatoes and not tomato puree. You can get low salt, low sugar version too. HP sauce is ok, but we much prefer Branston pickle, the original, not the tiny pieces.

Anyone remember Pan Yan pickle?

Avril

• Like 2

I don't put enough sauce on my brekkie to notice the nuances of brand taste.That probably comes from me "dining" in thousands of greasy spoons in my career.God knows what was in some of those sauce bottles,lol.I don't have ketchup very often only brown but the best I've tasted is Mato Mato in Italy with 100% Italian toms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Once you get the correct strength Jane you'll be fine. If you're getting on well with the throwaway then it seems you will take to vaping quickly. Take your throwaway with you so they can see the strength you're comfortable with.

Onwards and upwards Jane. x

Avril

Thanks Avril. I'll do that. The throwaway is only 2% whereas the fill-up one, which was too strong, is 10%. I'll see what they say tomorrow but so far, me and my disposable are doing well together. Jane.xx

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

My hubby will be watching that match too today I am sure.

My favourite coffee too Jane, I usually manage to get a small one in Home Bargains for £3 and more recently have been able to get the larger ones at Tesco or Sainsbury’s on offer at £5.

Well done on your start to been a non-smoker

Michelle

Thanks Michelle. I did manage to buy 3 of the now smaller tins in Tesco yesterday - the last 3 on the shelf - for £3 each. The larger ones were still £7.50. 

Thanks for your encouragement re the smoking.  Jane.xx

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thanks Michelle. I did manage to buy 3 of the now smaller tins in Tesco yesterday - the last 3 on the shelf - for £3 each. The larger ones were still £7.50. 

Thanks for your encouragement re the smoking.  Jane.xx

Goodness, Jane. I read that out of context and thought you were referring to tins of vaping fluid! If such things exist……

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I don't put enough sauce on my brekkie to notice the nuances of brand taste.That probably comes from me "dining" in thousands of greasy spoons in my career.God knows what was in some of those sauce bottles,lol.I don't have ketchup very often only brown but the best I've tasted is Mato Mato in Italy with 100% Italian toms.

We're using a bottle of Bramley's brown sauce bought in Aldi circa 2018 and it's still perfect... part of the stock that we put in just before the pandemic really began to hit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, purplesea said:

A rather non discript day here, dull and still and very quiet.

Meeting a friend for coffee this morning and a catch up as it's been months since we last met, life kept getting in the way!

It's also my daughter's birthday today so the family are going out for a carvery meal later. 

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day.

Happy birthday to your daughter today.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1