P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Thanks Harry,York is looking more favourable now.A 2 center break including Lincoln is too time consuming and pricey with the train journey,Brian.

York would be a good base, and it is an easy bus or train ride to both Harrogate and Leeds.  

The Armouries Museum in Leeds is meant to be excellent.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Scotlands on the list as well. do they have Premier inns. Edinburgh and further north say Fort William and the Hogwarts Express. Maybe Orkney and Shetland too

Then there is the Isle of Man and Ireland.

That leaves hardly any time for cruising 🙂

Yes, plenty Premier Inns  up here although the Edinburgh ones will probably be pricy (like most things there).  
There is always time for cruising Dave. 

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If you do go to York, consider Bettys for lunch, or better still an afternoon tea. Very civilised, and good food (I wouldn’t recommend their fish and chips, but wife says it’s a daft thing to order there anyway.).

Downside’s the likely queue, and the price. Excellent pastries etc though.

Lots of other options in York just has good and without the queues

A new Premier Inn is  being built on the edge of the City Centre opposite the City Walls.

The Selby bus is very frequent and calls at the Designer Centre.

We often park there are bus into the City using our passes.

Edited by Bloodaxe

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Please share! If they’ve got the same atmosphere and quality of food I’d happily try to steer my wife towards them! She’s potty about Bettys.

I agree the atmosphere and the pastries are good but there are good smaller Cafes who's names escape me, next time I will take note.

We are in York frequently and never use Bettys but the tourist obviously love it.

If you like Italian food Lucias Wine Bar is very good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

Thanks sis,I am leaning towards York now by train.The coaches don't leave London until late afternoon and take 5.5 hrs.For 50 quid more and only just over 2 hrs the train is the way to go,bro.Keep the suggestions coming in guys.

Even York railway station is lovely with many original features still there. At least it was when we last went.  As well as the many interesting attractions York has, it's old buildings are beautiful. We love to wander at the lanes and alleyways just looking at them.

Sis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t go to York without visiting the National Railway Museum located just behind the railway station. Admission is free.

Agree that Betty’s is worth a visit. There is always a queue to get in but it moves quite fast.

Brian

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Even York railway station is lovely with many original features still there. At least it was when we last went.  As well as the many interesting attractions York has, it's old buildings are beautiful. We love to wander at the lanes and alleyways just looking at them.

Sis

Snickleways in York Avril, there is a book all about them.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 2:17 PM, Scorpio41 said:

That would be helpful. 

I did my application online and sent the old passport signed for so I know they have them both. As long as I get before my May cruise.

Just to update you regarding my passport.

Sent off to renew my passport and sent with a few months left,so sent it Signed for post

on the 27th of January.

Passport kept me informed ...

Application history

Status Date
Passport printed 7:34am on 17 February 2023
Application approved 10:04am on 16 February 2023
Documents received 1:57pm on 13 February 2023
Application received 12:16pm on 27 January 2023
Application submitted 12:15pm on 27 January 2023

Then after it being printed got a text telling me to wait for delivery contact ,which 

turns out they are using TNT/FED EX  who contacted me Monday 20th Feb 

Informing me it was out for delivery on the 21st and expect between 8am -8pm.

Got another text late last night reading now 22 Feb  and expect between 8am -8pm.

Pleased to say I got the passport at just turned 5pm this evening shoved through the letterbox

no need to sign for it .

My only gripe is ,I sent it signed for and sat almost two days, 8am -8pm one day looking 

out for it . 

Hope this helps .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Just to update you regarding my passport.

Sent off to renew my passport and sent with a few months left,so sent it Signed for post

on the 27th of January.

Passport kept me informed ...

Application history

Status Date
Passport printed 7:34am on 17 February 2023
Application approved 10:04am on 16 February 2023
Documents received 1:57pm on 13 February 2023
Application received 12:16pm on 27 January 2023
Application submitted 12:15pm on 27 January 2023

Then after it being printed got a text telling me to wait for delivery contact ,which 

turns out they are using TNT/FED EX  who contacted me Monday 20th Feb 

Informing me it was out for delivery on the 21st and expect between 8am -8pm.

Got another text late last night reading now 22 Feb  and expect between 8am -8pm.

Pleased to say I got the passport at just turned 5pm this evening shoved through the letterbox

no need to sign for it .

My only gripe is ,I sent it signed for and sat almost two days, 8am -8pm one day looking 

out for it . 

Hope this helps .

Thank you for letting me know.

It was a lot quicker than I expected but much the same as yours.

Printed on the 18th and through the letterbox on the 21st.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrianI said:

Don’t go to York without visiting the National Railway Museum located just behind the railway station. Admission is free.

Agree that Betty’s is worth a visit. There is always a queue to get in but it moves quite fast.

Brian

I agree Railway Museum is great. I was only tagging along, but found it really fascinating.

Also it has quirky shops. Not the usual boring ones. I could tell you about the ghost shop, but I don't really think you would be interested!

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have a tentative plan to visit York this summer taking in the Viking Centre and rail museum. Also a plan to visit Portsmouth for all the historical naval stuff. I would travel by train and use Premier Inns

Loved the Jorvik centre. Also a really good museum that has every day things from the 50’s, 60’s etc. we enjoyed spotting things our parents and grandparents had.

Been to Portsmouth a couple of times, the Mary Rose was very good. Also the Spinaker tower at Gunwharf quays - you can go up it and get a great view of the Isle of Wight ferry manoeuvring in and out, loved it!

• Like 2

As you can see I'm back😄 

Laptop and phone all set up, just need to sort out the printer as it didn't want to play ball when I tried to print something earlier. 🙄 As task for tomorrow.

Hope you all had a good day. I'm off now to catch up on other threads and my e-mails.

Have a good evening.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I fancied a good laugh and my daughter always give us that so I told her if she fancied  pasta this week and had time we could go out one night.  My treat, of course.

Grandson heard and said "We're free Nan but not till 7.45!😀  Then text from granddaughter and partner "We might be able to change our shifts Nan"🤣

So a bowl of pasta with my daughter has now grown into dinner for 8.  I know their favourite place is a very lively,   noisy ( and pricy) but great fun Italian, so I booked it.

Steer clear of Rochester tomorrow, those who live near here, which is quite a few.

I can't wait, its so difficult these days for families to all get together.

Is the restaurant near the bridge?

11 hours ago, brian1 said:

Cheers Damian.I'll let you into a little secret,I'm bilingual.My Mum was born in Rotherham and lived in Maltby until she married my Dad in 1945.Brian.

The Shambles is one of the most famous streets in York and a must see.

Screenshot_20230222_203238.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, happy v said:

Or you could go to Harlow Carr. Excellent gardens which also has a Betty's. Personally I think it's slightly over rated.

I agree, we went to RHS Harlow Carr last May, had Afternoon Tea at the Betty’s there, queued about 30 mins to get in, but after all the hype must say we were disappointed with the offering. 

The gardens were wonderful our first visit to an RHS Garden since becoming an RHS member 5 years ago, we had breaks to Surrey to include RHS Wisley and a trip planned for RHS Bridgwater, but a certain pandemic put an end to both, but we are planning to visit both this year. 

• Like 1

Gardeners arrived at 8.30 this morning by 11am the old lawn and been removed, they used a turf cutter, put in back of their pickup and driven off to local commercial composting business. By midday the ground beneath the old lawn which was compacted had been rotivated and raked. The stepping stones, slabs for around greenhouse, bricks and slabs for refurbishing steps had all been delivered, turf is due tomorrow afternoon, By Friday should have new lawn, path and slabs around greenhouse all laid. 

This after packed all the CDs from shelving on landing, plus half the books, will complete tomorrow once I can get access to garage, doors currently blocked by a pile of sand. This weekend we will be stripping, wallpaper that is. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Yes - mine does that at Carlisle!   

You can use your bus pass to travel to Gretna and other cross border places, probably because of the Gretna Outlet Village which is popular with shoppers. I think a reciprocal arrangement applies as Carlisle is good for shopping.

16 hours ago, davecttr said:

Scotlands on the list as well. do they have Premier inns. Edinburgh and further north say Fort William and the Hogwarts Express. Maybe Orkney and Shetland too

Then there is the Isle of Man and Ireland.

That leaves hardly any time for cruising 🙂

I’ve worked in Edinburgh and Glasgow many times and can recommend the east coast train ride north. The scenery is fantastic especially around Berwick upon Tweed where the track gets very close to the coastline. 

The furthest north I’ve been for work is Montrose but let’s just say I probably didn’t see the best of it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I agree, we went to RHS Harlow Carr last May, had Afternoon Tea at the Betty’s there, queued about 30 mins to get in, but after all the hype must say we were disappointed with the offering. 

The gardens were wonderful our first visit to an RHS Garden since becoming an RHS member 5 years ago, we had breaks to Surrey to include RHS Wisley and a trip planned for RHS Bridgwater, but a certain pandemic put an end to both, but we are planning to visit both this year. 

The other important attraction in Harrogate, sadly overlooked, is my first house, a three bedroom semi in Coppice Way, purchased in 1977 for £16,500.  Not even a blue plaque !

• Haha 5