P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

It’s not that simple and it’s not about making people feel unwelcome. Tourism has to try to be sustainable. When high percentages of dwellings are second homes or holiday lets (like Tenby, Abersoch and places in Cornwall), it can play havoc with the housing market. The parking problems in Snowdonia have been well documented over the past few seasons, and that also causes problems. There isn’t a simple answer, but legislation is sometimes justified. 

I understand all that. There is a town on the South Devon coast where the council make life difficult for holiday lets. It turns out that a good number of holiday let's are owned by locals and their ' businesses ' provide employment. Many of the people complaining are themselves ' incomers '. No easy solution, but if I think I will not be welcome, my solution for me is simple.  Go somewhere else.

• Like 2

What a change to the weather after two miserable days a warm and sunny one, even had a potter in the garden, I had to share with the whitefly and midges but hey ho. Hope all you birthday boys and girls had a good day.

This is a nice little story which probably sums up some of us wrinklies;

An Airbus 380 ✈ is on its way across the Atlantic. It flies consistently at 800 km/h at 30,000 feet. When suddenly a Eurofighter with a Tempo Mach 2 appears!
The pilot of the fighter jet slows down, flies alongside the Airbus, and greets the pilot of the passenger plane by radio: "Airbus, boring flight isn’t it? Now have a look here!"
He rolls his jet on its back, accelerates, breaks through the sound barrier, rises rapidly to a dizzying height, and then swoops down almost to sea level in a breathtaking dive. 😱✈ He loops back next to the Airbus and asks: "Well, how was that?" 🛩
The Airbus pilot answers: "Very impressive, but watch this!"
The jet pilot watches the Airbus, but nothing happens. It continues to fly straight, at the same speed. After 15 minutes, the Airbus pilot radios, "Well, how was that?"
Confused, the jet pilot asks, "What did you do?"
The AirBus pilot laughs and says: "I got up, stretched my legs, walked to the back of the aircraft to use the washroom, then got a cup of coffee and a chocolate fudge pastry." ☕🍫
The moral of the story is: When you’re young, speed and adrenaline seem great. But as you get older and wiser, you learn that comfort and peace are more important. ✌🌅
This is called S.O.S.: Slower, Older, and Smarter. 🧘‍♂️🧠
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Don't worry about Wowzz, Avril.  He posted this on 11 October elsewhere:

"Good to see you posting on here as well as Cruise Critic. Perhaps you could tell my friends on CC that wowzz says hello !"

I sent him a hello.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

What a change to the weather after two miserable days a warm and sunny one, even had a potter in the garden, I had to share with the whitefly and midges but hey ho. Hope all you birthday boys and girls had a good day.

This is a nice little story which probably sums up some of us wrinklies;

An Airbus 380 ✈ is on its way across the Atlantic. It flies consistently at 800 km/h at 30,000 feet. When suddenly a Eurofighter with a Tempo Mach 2 appears!
The pilot of the fighter jet slows down, flies alongside the Airbus, and greets the pilot of the passenger plane by radio: "Airbus, boring flight isn’t it? Now have a look here!"
He rolls his jet on its back, accelerates, breaks through the sound barrier, rises rapidly to a dizzying height, and then swoops down almost to sea level in a breathtaking dive. 😱✈ He loops back next to the Airbus and asks: "Well, how was that?" 🛩
The Airbus pilot answers: "Very impressive, but watch this!"
The jet pilot watches the Airbus, but nothing happens. It continues to fly straight, at the same speed. After 15 minutes, the Airbus pilot radios, "Well, how was that?"
Confused, the jet pilot asks, "What did you do?"
The AirBus pilot laughs and says: "I got up, stretched my legs, walked to the back of the aircraft to use the washroom, then got a cup of coffee and a chocolate fudge pastry." ☕🍫
The moral of the story is: When you’re young, speed and adrenaline seem great. But as you get older and wiser, you learn that comfort and peace are more important. ✌🌅
This is called S.O.S.: Slower, Older, and Smarter. 🧘‍♂️🧠

Phil, You obviously get the same FB feeds that I receive.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Had a busy day booking our (my first) ever trip to Scotland.  Three days in Edinburgh next July with the main event being a concert of Paul Weller at the Castle on the Saturday evening.  Flying up from Southampton on the Friday morning and back late Monday afternoon.  Hotels were difficult to source but I've found a Premier Inn on Princes Street at nearly £200 a night which seems about half the price of anything else so hopefully that will be okay.  My husband has been before but only on business so never as a proper visitor.

I'd be very grateful if any of our Scottish friends have any suggestions for things to see, places to eat and nice drinking establishments.  Needless to say I'm very excited even this far out.

My favorite place in Edinburgh is the Botanical gardens. Of course this isn't everyone's taste but the rock garden is stunning 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just watching Planet Earth III, what a fantastic programme this is, I have loved science and nature all my life but this is so good and of course narrated by the incredible Sir David Attenborough.

He is incredible, and his voice and presentation style has become the expected norm for wildwife/natural history documentaries.

He will be almost impossible to replace.

• Like 6

Good morning everyone, it’s grey this morning here and I think we got rain this afternoon again it’s just nonstop at the moment and not good for the whole week, I was up early this morning got my washing and drying done early and I’m washing or treating my wooden floors at the moment so I’m sat in a corner waiting for it to dry and watching the scammers program, it’s amazing what you can learn with all these new phone scams coming out . 
Have a great day everyone, especially Kalos what ever you’re doing, hope your well though and I’m pleased Wowzz is still posting around some where but didn’t catch on where as I didn’t understand the prunes!😂 

• Like 7

13c dry and bright here at the moment. Hoping to have a walk later but forecast shows rain coming in.

Nothing else much planned but I need to book a hotel in Devon in order to go to my uncle (dads brother, dad died 14 years ago) funeral, he was 99 yo. I’ve only met him twice in the last 40 years but have happy memories from when I was a child, but after then shared a lot of family history information by post and telephone.

We go on a canaries cruise only 3 days after the funeral so it will mean Cheshire to Devon and back then back down to Southampton within 4 days, hope the weather is ok🤞

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

@showingdiva I didn’t want to go off topic on Selbournes live so I will ask you here.

Any particular recommendations of what to see/do/ eat on Euribea other than the sweet panna cotta? Thanks

Euribia has a few differences from Virtuosa.   No robot bartender and no carousel shows.   There is a carousel space, but was used for numerous forms of entertainment during the week.   Butcher's Cut is called "Le Grill", but it and all the other specialty dining venues were the same, and I delighted they have an Hola!.  

Virtually everything else was the same as Virtuosa, other than Euribia having a more continental feel because of the multiple embarkations at each port.    It was very obvious, very quickly now much feedback over the last couple of years has "Anglicized" Virtuosa.

From a food perspective, there's a spaghetti aglio e olio, which is an "always available" at lunchtime, which was superb.   Very simple in that it's fresh pasta, oil, garlic and red pepper flakes, but because MSC know how to do pasta, it was right there with one of the best pasta dishes I've ever eaten.   Gala dinner highlights - the salmon en croute / wellington.  Some late evening sorties to the Marketplace for some After Eight slice.   And of course, those warm tortilla chips and chipotle dip in Hola!, washed down with a non-alcoholic mandarin Jarritos juice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well I had my day trip to Portsmouth all planned then the weather warning arrived.

For  those in the Southampton area what is local forecast saying please for Thursday & Friday and more importantly how accurate are they with your weather, up here they always underplay in eg amber warning and major flooding, trees down and several deaths. It’s currently showing amber from below Oxford and to the coast.

Thanks

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well I had my day trip to Portsmouth all planned then the weather warning arrived.

For  those in the Southampton area what is local forecast saying please for Thursday & Friday and more importantly how accurate are they with your weather, up here they always underplay in eg amber warning and major flooding, trees down and several deaths. It’s currently showing amber from below Oxford and to the coast.

Thanks

We are off to Bournemouth for a few days, so I will rain, there will be thunder & lightning and storms.  Guaranteed...Sorry.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are off to Bournemouth for a few days, so I will rain, there will be thunder & lightning and storms.  Guaranteed...Sorry.

Oh no. I live not far from Bournemouth and we have had more than enough rain already. But the forecast is not good!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thanks

Unfortunately the weather is atrocious down here and no sign of letting up as the week goes on. 

Today started off OK, but when it rains, it really rains... 

I'm in Portsmouth at the moment, trying not to get soaked. 

Let's hope it dries up for your visit. 

Andy 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Unfortunately the weather is atrocious down here and no sign of letting up as the week goes on. 

Today started off OK, but when it rains, it really rains... 

I'm in Portsmouth at the moment, trying not to get soaked. 

Let's hope it dries up for your visit. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy. I don’t mind the rain so much, get very used to it up. I was more concerned about actually getting there eg road closures etc.

I think we are going to set off a day early and just spend an extra day in the South to make sure we actually get there. The worst if it seems to be Wednesday pm to Thursday am.

• Like 3