P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning, dull here but dry and still mild at 14c.

My daughter saw the Northern Lights during the week over Helston way. 

I'm trying to work our train times for our cruise in January. It's a toss up of do we try and get a train home as we are due to land at 5pm with the last connection being 7pm, or book into a hotel for the night and travel home the next day. Travelling the next day will see us using a rail replacement bus and several changes. I thought by travelling from Bristol would be easier than having to get up to Gatwick. Looks like I might have been wrong!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend.

• Like 4

10 year survival from my heart attack  (in Tescos) today.  I dare not boast and say all ok or everything will go wrong.

Goodness  almost 16 years from the big C too.  Where did those years go.

I should be singing 'I'm Still Standing'....well I would if I could,  if that ^%&%$ lift door hadn't cut me down🤣😀🤣  Tough old bird. 

• Like 27

49 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning, dull here but dry and still mild at 14c.

My daughter saw the Northern Lights during the week over Helston way. 

I'm trying to work our train times for our cruise in January. It's a toss up of do we try and get a train home as we are due to land at 5pm with the last connection being 7pm, or book into a hotel for the night and travel home the next day. Travelling the next day will see us using a rail replacement bus and several changes. I thought by travelling from Bristol would be easier than having to get up to Gatwick. Looks like I might have been wrong!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend.

I don know how the ££s would work out, but is a taxi out of the question?

The extra expense of a hotel night plus the horror of rail replacement is a bit scary.

I hope you find a decent solution 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I don know how the ££s would work out, but is a taxi out of the question?

The extra expense of a hotel night plus the horror of rail replacement is a bit scary.

I hope you find a decent solution 

It is times like this that I sometimes regret moving to the far end of Cornwall, as it takes us a day to get anywhere. Before we moved down we were only half an hours drive from Luton Airport. A taxi is a very expensive option for just 2.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, purplesea said:

It is times like this that I sometimes regret moving to the far end of Cornwall, as it takes us a day to get anywhere. Before we moved down we were only half an hours drive from Luton Airport. A taxi is a very expensive option for just 2.

One thing less to worry about with Saga, that and the included insurance is what sold me, I know you pay for it in the price but much less hassle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

A beautiful day here in North Wales. Can't believe it's the weekend and the sun is out. Off to Bodnant Gardens in search of Autumn colours. 

19 working days left before we retire .... doesn't sound a lot !

20231118_102638.jpg

Nice place to sit with a cuppa 🙂

Good luck with the retirement ,19 days will soon pass .

Did I tell you about the local flasher ? Folk said at his age he should pack it in but 

he said he would like to stick it out for another year 🙃

• Haha 17

39 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Grey day here, not going out so not too bothered.

Email from P&O promising  fantastic offers, their words, starting Tuesday with Black Friday offers. We shall see.

Not off to a good start . . Black Friday  that Starts on a Tuesday 😉

• Haha 7

I have now completed my training to stand at the side of the road with a "speed radar device" to record the the the numbers of of vehicles exceeding the speed limit.  It was very interesting and I will now join the speed watch group near to my home.  We work in groups of 3 and usually only for a maximum of 3 hours on each occasion.

• Like 6

Just now, Josy1953 said:

I have now completed my training to stand at the side of the road with a "speed radar device" to record the the the numbers of of vehicles exceeding the speed limit.  It was very interesting and I will now join the speed watch group near to my home.  We work in groups of 3 and usually only for a maximum of 3 hours on each occasion.

Just as well you don't live in Wales or you'd never sleep. It's bizzare here .... no words can sum it up. 

Seriously though good on you Josy. Drived me mad when we keep to the speed limit at home and in Wales and get abuse!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Most motorists here are fine but... bikes and scooters...just something else all together!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Just as well you don't live in Wales or you'd never sleep. It's bizzare here .... no words can sum it up. 

Seriously though good on you Josy. Drived me mad when we keep to the speed limit at home and in Wales and get abuse!

Not sure why you’d never sleep! Anyway, we’re getting used to it now and it’s actually ok. If it saves just one life, then it’s worth it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Not sure why you’d never sleep! Anyway, we’re getting used to it now and it’s actually ok. If it saves just one life, then it’s worth it. 

It is! So we'll totally avoid it's restaurants,hotels, B&Bs attractions and so on in support!

Goos luch a phob lwc i'r dyfodol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Did this a few years ago, on the narrow road through our small village.  We were surprised that most people were under 30, including the few lorries we get which just seem fast because they are big and noisy.  TBH, under 25 or 20 would be ideal, with housing very near the road on both sides.  We have asked for one of the electronic signs, but we would have to fund it.  

• Like 6

Morning  a bit milder 11.c this morning .

Thinking about speed when driving ,my Dad once told me ... . 

"Anyone can drive fast but it's stopping in time when things go wrong "

The times we see cars racing at daft speeds on residential housing estates , or 

coming around blind bends on country lanes at stupid speeds ..Why ?

Have a good day .

• Like 6

On 11/17/2023 at 5:08 PM, Josy1953 said:

When we got home from a lovely lunch I had a nice surprise. The post had arrived and DH's cousin had sent a gift for me, it is a little bracelet with 1 silver and 1 gold feathers on it on a card that says "Feathers Appear When Loved Ones Are Near'". 

I have ordered one online for my niece's daughter.

That sounds gorgeous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I find my mind drifting on an open.road when it's straight and I'm doing snail speed. In some areas it is needed but some not so am hoping they evaluate it and councils tweak some.roads.

What annoys me is those who over take me or sit so close to my back bumper to encourage me to go quicker. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning  a bit milder 11.c this morning .

Thinking about speed when driving ,my Dad once told me ... . 

"Anyone can drive fast but it's stopping in time when things go wrong "

The times we see cars racing at daft speeds on residential housing estates , or 

coming around blind bends on country lanes at stupid speeds ..Why ?

Have a good day .

Why? Because they're idiots 😉

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I find my mind drifting on an open.road when it's straight and I'm doing snail speed. In some areas it is needed but some not so am hoping they evaluate it and councils tweak some.roads.

What annoys me is those who over take me or sit so close to my back bumper to encourage me to go quicker. 

Dangerous things those cars. Perhaps they could all drive at walking pace. A chap walking in front waving a red flag would help.

• Haha 4

Morning all, life is chugging on here in fairly boring fashion. We all really miss going out in the car! 

It was my birthday on Thursday but it was a fairly boring day. John cooked us a nice meal. Friday was better as son, partner and grandson came to dinner which they cooked and we heated up. Pudding was chocolate and Baileys cupcakes that Amy made, yummy! 

We seem to be having post issues again, I had most of my birthday cards the day before but yesterday I got three, one had a first class stamp and had taken 3 days!! I had also given up looking at 2pm (we have a porch and have to open the door to look) and John found them when he locked up before we went to bed!

We should have been having a long weekend at Centre Parcs this weekend so I’ll be off work tomorrow but I do feel a bit grumpy! 

Pictures are the gin that was a present from my son and the cupcakes!

IMG_9841.jpeg

IMG_9834.jpeg

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 13