P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

We are with Ovo Energy, our 4th year with them, we are on the loyalty tariff this year so slightly lower than the normal fixed 1 year tariff, we pay £117 per month on the new contract covers both fuels, up from £93. There were 2 cheaper tariffs when I checked both with small companies that I had never heard of. Ovo pay us 5% interest when we are in credit.

Our monthly monetary outlay is almost back to where we were 5 years ago before we had the external insulation add to the outside of the house. Since them we have moved to all LED lighting, switching off lights devices etc when not needed, every bit helps. The insulation cut our gas bills massively, we still are using much less than we used to. A friend of ours has a thermal camera and he spotted a few hot spots where heat was escaping, through out upvc doors which are about 20 years old, so looking to replace with composite doors which have better thermal properties.

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

We are with Ovo Energy, our 4th year with them, we are on the loyalty tariff this year so slightly lower than the normal fixed 1 year tariff, we pay £117 per month on the new contract covers both fuels, up from £93. There were 2 cheaper tariffs when I checked both with small companies that I had never heard of. Ovo pay us 5% interest when we are in credit.

Our monthly monetary outlay is almost back to where we were 5 years ago before we had the external insulation add to the outside of the house. Since them we have moved to all LED lighting, switching off lights devices etc when not needed, every bit helps. The insulation cut our gas bills massively, we still are using much less than we used to. A friend of ours has a thermal camera and he spotted a few hot spots where heat was escaping, through out upvc doors which are about 20 years old, so looking to replace with composite doors which have better thermal properties.

We are also with Ovo and have been for many years. Smart meters and direct debit on a fixed price tariff. Never any problem with them. No need for estimates because of smart meter, we can check daily usage of both fuels if we want and if the balance gets too high, we can claim money back. An absolute no brainer.

Sorry to be on topic😁. I booked a celebrity cruise to the fjords for July 2022 today. I tried on line, but couldn't amend the phone number on my Captains Club account so had to phone the UK number. After hanging on for 10 minutes they transferred my call to Miami. After being on hold for 5 minutes they answered and took the booking, and the Money. Come on P&O , you need to do better.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sorry to be on topic😁. I booked a celebrity cruise to the fjords for July 2022 today. I tried on line, but couldn't amend the phone number on my Captains Club account so had to phone the UK number. After hanging on for 10 minutes they transferred my call to Miami. After being on hold for 5 minutes they answered and took the booking, and the Money. Come on P&O , you need to do better.

Celebrity eh ? 

You won't want to be mingling with us poor P&O peasants any more then!

(I might be a tiny bit jealous !)

• Haha 1

Good Very Early Morning Everyone.

It's 2.25am and I can't sleep so I'm  having a catch up on here and a good laugh at some of the posts.

Well I'm so hacked-off with NHS England. We were due to vaccinate all our immuno-suppressed and vulnerable patients this weekend but late on Monday they (NHSE) cancelled us. Apparently we (nationwide) now have to wait for more information from secondary care, specifically hospital consultants, in order to get a fuller picture of whrom they also recommend for a third vaccine. NHSE will then compile new lists of added-on diagnoses for us to search on. So Harry, your practice is right to wait for the searches after all. I've spent ages getting the weekend organised with vaccinators, volunteers, cleaning staff et al, and it's all for nothing. In the meanwhile,  Boris has has announced that the booster programme can go ahead from next week - err how?  Without notice to plan it's an impossibility. This is typical of the government - to make a big announcement without telling the people who have to deliver said big announcement! 

I have news - from MSC. I received a very full letter from them yesterday in which they informed me that, having viewed the cctv footage in the bar area where the incident took place, they agreed that there actually was an incident as I had described, and the perpetrator has now been sacked. By way of an apology, for his behavior, not the company's, they also offered me £1,000 - off a future cruise! So while that £1k voucher is unlikely to ever be used I was impressed with the tone of the letter and it's contents. I was never after compensation but justice for my grandaughter and all future young girls who crossed this man's path. So, overall I feel vindicated and glad I did the right thing by drawing the matter to their attention. I am so glad to be able to tell you guys this news because you really supported me when I told you the sordid tale - for which I thank you once again. Anyone want a £1k voucher for an MSC cruise?

It's now 3.10am so I think I'll have another coffee then go back to bed and listen to the radio.

Have a good day everyone. Be well and safe. Best wishes as always. Jane.xx

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Well that was good news for you Jane about MSC and not too long to wait for the outcome.

sorry to hear about all your hard work you have been planning and now have to do it all again, it’s 4.20 now and I’ve been awake for a while too so I thought I’d catch up here on my rolls calls and leave some messages one to say goodbye after chatting for 18 months as the cruise got cancelled today it was on Celebrity going to Japan in April but I’m certainly happy about that one being cancelled due to COVID situation, anyway to compensate I booked a princess cruise today to Iceland/ Norway 2023 , we go on a princess cruise tomorrow floating around for 5 days so that’s why I’m awake , things going around in my head have I got everything and rechecking I have filled out all the correct stuff , only packed my case tonight because I’ve just moved into my new home and still waiting for my bedroom furniture to arrive so all the clothes are in suit cases and clothes rails at the moment 🤦‍♀️ I have never been so unorganised for a cruise I’m usually a 8 weeks ahead person suit case packed or all layed out on spare room bed .

anyway I hope your work gets sorted out soon no thanks to boris , get some sleep 😴 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Morning earlybirds.

There must be something in the air Jane. I've been up since 3am, if I'd have known you were up we could have had a chat and a virtual cuppa.

Good news about the MSC fiasco finally, and well done you for sticking to your guns.

It's such a mess about the covid boosters isn't it? Everyone seems to be chasing their tails  at the moment, and I don't know why they don't just shut up until they come to a definite decision. 

Have a good holiday tomorrow Purdey. It's just what you need to relax and unwind from all the upheveal and stress you've had recently. 

Well, I'll get another coffee and a slice of toast and scroll though some old posts. What a full and exciting life I lead. How do I cope?😉

Avril

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

It's 2.25am and I can't sleep so I'm  having a catch up on here and a good laugh at some of the posts.

Well I'm so hacked-off with NHS England. We were due to vaccinate all our immuno-suppressed and vulnerable patients this weekend but late on Monday they (NHSE) cancelled us. Apparently we (nationwide) now have to wait for more information from secondary care, specifically hospital consultants, in order to get a fuller picture of whrom they also recommend for a third vaccine. NHSE will then compile new lists of added-on diagnoses for us to search on. So Harry, your practice is right to wait for the searches after all. I've spent ages getting the weekend organised with vaccinators, volunteers, cleaning staff et al, and it's all for nothing. In the meanwhile,  Boris has has announced that the booster programme can go ahead from next week - err how?  Without notice to plan it's an impossibility. This is typical of the government - to make a big announcement without telling the people who have to deliver said big announcement! 

I have news - from MSC. I received a very full letter from them yesterday in which they informed me that, having viewed the cctv footage in the bar area where the incident took place, they agreed that there actually was an incident as I had described, and the perpetrator has now been sacked. By way of an apology, for his behavior, not the company's, they also offered me £1,000 - off a future cruise! So while that £1k voucher is unlikely to ever be used I was impressed with the tone of the letter and it's contents. I was never after compensation but justice for my grandaughter and all future young girls who crossed this man's path. So, overall I feel vindicated and glad I did the right thing by drawing the matter to their attention. I am so glad to be able to tell you guys this news because you really supported me when I told you the sordid tale - for which I thank you once again. Anyone want a £1k voucher for an MSC cruise?

It's now 3.10am so I think I'll have another coffee then go back to bed and listen to the radio.

Great news re MSC Jane and good that they admitted the incident took place and the crew member dismissed. That is an example of where CCTV is so very useful. Well done to you for reporting it and let’s hope that crew member is not allowed to work at sea again.

Take care.

Gill x

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

Jane, that's excellent news about your granddaughter's unfortunate experience with MSC.  Nobody here was in any doubt as to what should happen, and eventually MSC did the right thing - hopefully this man's record will now prevent him popping up elsewhere.  Your granddaughter was sensible - others might not have been.

I'm appalled to read your comments on the vaccination programme for the immunosuppressed.  Your practice was ahead of the game, it was operating entirely in accordance with the NHS England guidance to GPs issued on 2 September, but yet again government confusion from the top down has created a massive waste of precious time and resource.  You must all be tearing your hair out.

As a patient, I thank you and your colleagues for what you're all doing.  And I'm fed up to the back teeth with the constant attacks on GPs in papers like the Telegraph and the Mail based on nothing but ignorance and trouble making.  Yet again yesterday I had to defend our GP practice against an uninformed attack from someone down the road who's recently moved in, read the Telegraph, and jumped to the conclusion that GPs don't see patients any more.  They do of course (I saw mine twice at the peak of the pandemic, once for an urgent shingles anti-viral) but not for routine stuff that can be dealt with over the phone.   I don't need to tell you that, and I'm certain your practice is the same.

Thanks once again for the update, Jane.

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 2

Morning everyone!!! I feel like I have slept-in compared to you early morning posters on here!!!

Jane, I am pleased you and your granddaughter got the outcome you deserved from MSC.

Purdey, have a wonderful relaxing cruise, it’s stressful moving so a cruise has arrived just at the right time.

The weather seems ok here at the moment, cloudy/sunny with 19 degrees high which is a bonus for this time of the year.

My mum wants me to take her to M & S this morning, might go to the larger one in Preston I think. Maybe even sit out for a bit this afternoon if it’s warm enough. 

Have a good day everyone abs stay safe

Michelle

5 hours ago, Beckett said:

Jane

Can I make a suggestion re the £1,000? Go back to MSC and explain that this was a one off trip for you and your granddaughters and unlikely to be repeated, thus unlikely to use the voucher.

As it was your granddaughter who suffered would they instead be prepared to convert it to cash to be used for her education or e.g. Book vouchers for her education? Worth a punt

Gail

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Well that was good news for you Jane about MSC and not too long to wait for the outcome.

sorry to hear about all your hard work you have been planning and now have to do it all again, it’s 4.20 now and I’ve been awake for a while too so I thought I’d catch up here on my rolls calls and leave some messages one to say goodbye after chatting for 18 months as the cruise got cancelled today it was on Celebrity going to Japan in April but I’m certainly happy about that one being cancelled due to COVID situation, anyway to compensate I booked a princess cruise today to Iceland/ Norway 2023 , we go on a princess cruise tomorrow floating around for 5 days so that’s why I’m awake , things going around in my head have I got everything and rechecking I have filled out all the correct stuff , only packed my case tonight because I’ve just moved into my new home and still waiting for my bedroom furniture to arrive so all the clothes are in suit cases and clothes rails at the moment 🤦‍♀️ I have never been so unorganised for a cruise I’m usually a 8 weeks ahead person suit case packed or all layed out on spare room bed .

anyway I hope your work gets sorted out soon no thanks to boris , get some sleep 😴 

Thank you Purdey. I hope you have a great time floating. It's just what you need after all the upheaval of your recent move etc. Close (and lock) the front door, walk away, and just concentrate on yourself for 5 lovely days. Enjoy it and yourself. Best wishes. Jane.x 

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Morning earlybirds.

There must be something in the air Jane. I've been up since 3am, if I'd have known you were up we could have had a chat and a virtual cuppa.

Good news about the MSC fiasco finally, and well done you for sticking to your guns.

It's such a mess about the covid boosters isn't it? Everyone seems to be chasing their tails  at the moment, and I don't know why they don't just shut up until they come to a definite decision. 

Have a good holiday tomorrow Purdey. It's just what you need to relax and unwind from all the upheveal and stress you've had recently. 

Well, I'll get another coffee and a slice of toast and scroll though some old posts. What a full and exciting life I lead. How do I cope?😉

Avril

Thanks Avril. Yes, it's good news and I'm happy. We could have had a good chat at 3am so next time it happens that sleep evades us I'll log on again and see if you're there - I'll provide the biscuits! You're so right about the total mess we're in. Instead of grandstanding and listening to their own voices the powers that be should listen, for a change, to the actual workerforce. What am I saying - that's never going to happen - must be sleep deeprivation! Have a good day Avril and I hope Frank is feeling a bit better. Jane.x

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gadabout60 said:

Jane

Can I make a suggestion re the £1,000? Go back to MSC and explain that this was a one off trip for you and your granddaughters and unlikely to be repeated, thus unlikely to use the voucher.

As it was your granddaughter who suffered would they instead be prepared to convert it to cash to be used for her education or e.g. Book vouchers for her education? Worth a punt

Gail

Thank you Gail. That's a good suggestion and I'll give it a try. I'm not overly hopeful though because there were T&Cs attached - non refundable, non-transferrable etc but as you say, worth a punt. Thanks again. Jane.x

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Great news re MSC Jane and good that they admitted the incident took place and the crew member dismissed. That is an example of where CCTV is so very useful. Well done to you for reporting it and let’s hope that crew member is not allowed to work at sea again.

Take care.

Gill x

Morning Gill and thanks very much. Yes, it's a good outcome. I agree about the cctv being useful on occasion and in this instance they knew it was not just a disgruntled passenger on the make. I will however never forgive them for the boiled octopus on toast! Have a good day. Best wishes. Jane.xx

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone!!! I feel like I have slept-in compared to you early morning posters on here!!!

Jane, I am pleased you and your granddaughter got the outcome you deserved from MSC.

Purdey, have a wonderful relaxing cruise, it’s stressful moving so a cruise has arrived just at the right time.

The weather seems ok here at the moment, cloudy/sunny with 19 degrees high which is a bonus for this time of the year.

My mum wants me to take her to M & S this morning, might go to the larger one in Preston I think. Maybe even sit out for a bit this afternoon if it’s warm enough. 

Have a good day everyone abs stay safe

Michelle

Thanks very much Michelle and happy shopping today with mum. Jane.xx

Well, Autumn is here and rains are falling all day long. Its hard to predict when it will all end but all I know is that I am about to catch a flue. I hate this season with all my heart. In any case, I hope all of you guys have a great time wherever you are

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Jane, that's excellent news about your granddaughter's unfortunate experience with MSC.  Nobody here was in any doubt as to what should happen, and eventually MSC did the right thing - hopefully this man's record will now prevent him popping up elsewhere.  Your granddaughter was sensible - others might not have been.

I'm appalled to read your comments on the vaccination programme for the immunosuppressed.  Your practice was ahead of the game, it was operating entirely in accordance with the NHS England guidance to GPs issued on 2 September, but yet again government confusion from the top down has created a massive waste of precious time and resource.  You must all be tearing your hair out.

As a patient, I thank you and your colleagues for what you're all doing.  And I'm fed up to the back teeth with the constant attacks on GPs in papers like the Telegraph and the Mail based on nothing but ignorance and trouble making.  Yet again yesterday I had to defend our GP practice against an uninformed attack from someone down the road who's recently moved in, read the Telegraph, and jumped to the conclusion that GPs don't see patients any more.  They do of course (I saw mine twice at the peak of the pandemic, once for an urgent shingles anti-viral) but not for routine stuff that can be dealt with over the phone.   I don't need to tell you that, and I'm certain your practice is the same.

Thanks once again for the update, Jane.

Harry

Thanks very much Harry. Yes, they did the right thing and for that I'm grateful - to them for the recognition and to my girl for being so honest with her nan. She's a good kid with very clear values about life and I'm proud of her.

Oh Harry we are indeed tearing our hair out! It's a nightmare - the worst time in general practice that I can remember in my 33 years of service to the NHS. Every day is a bureaucratic nightmare at the moment.

You are so right about the GP bashing in the press. My practice has seen patients face-to-face right throughthe pandemic. We've done more house calls to the housebound, made more telephone calls to patients we knew would be worrying, to the lonely and mental health patients, than ever before - because it was the right and caring thing to do - and still we are the accused.

We have found the online and virtual consultations to be very popular with, as you say, problems that can easily be dealt with. The working population especially has expressed great satisfaction with the speed of response and it will continue; but we have always been there for those in need and that will continue as well. It's what we're there for. Still, if The Mail and The Telegraph say we are lazy, it must be true! 

Thanks as always for your support Harry. It will all come good in the end. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I will however never forgive them for the boiled octopus on toast!

Morning Jane I am pleased to hear the outcome was that creep got the sack and to 

me that is the best possible outcome .Also I am shocked to hear about the octopus 

on toast , I thought they belonged in the sea :classic_unsure: not on a slice of toast .

Take care and keep safe :classic_love:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thanks very much Harry. Yes, they did the right thing and for that I'm grateful - to them for the recognition and to my girl for being so honest with her nan. She's a good kid with very clear values about life and I'm proud of her.

Oh Harry we are indeed tearing our hair out! It's a nightmare - the worst time in general practice that I can remember in my 33 years of service to the NHS. Every day is a bureaucratic nightmare at the moment.

You are so right about the GP bashing in the press. My practice has seen patients face-to-face right throughthe pandemic. We've done more house calls to the housebound, made more telephone calls to patients we knew would be worrying, to the lonely and mental health patients, than ever before - because it was the right and caring thing to do - and still we are the accused.

We have found the online and virtual consultations to be very popular with, as you say, problems that can easily be dealt with. The working population especially has expressed great satisfaction with the speed of response and it will continue; but we have always been there for those in need and that will continue as well. It's what we're there for. Still, if The Mail and The Telegraph say we are lazy, it must be true! 

Thanks as always for your support Harry. It will all come good in the end. Best wishes. Jane.x

Thanks, Jane.

Seen this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/shielding-programme-ends-for-most-vulnerable

You’re going to get a lot of calls when that hits the fan!  Good to know it’s all over now………..until it all goes sour again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Morning Gill and thanks very much. Yes, it's a good outcome. I agree about the cctv being useful on occasion and in this instance they knew it was not just a disgruntled passenger on the make. I will however never forgive them for the boiled octopus on toast! Have a good day. Best wishes. Jane.xx

Why youa noa lika da octopusa,it's fantastico.When cooked properly and selling cheapo gas and leccy.

• Haha 2

On 9/14/2021 at 5:13 PM, Harry Peterson said:

Annoying that's the end of our pretty good (was) fixed price for the winter!

Anyone else with either of these two?

Energy suppliers People's Energy and Utility Point have both ceased trading today, affecting more than half a million households. If you're with either firm, your energy supply will continue and credit balances are protected. But DON'T switch now – sit tight and wait until your new supplier has contacted you. 

Households supplied by People's Energy, which has about 350,000 customers, and Utility Point, which has 220,000 customers, will be transferred to a new supplier, which is yet to be announced. In the meantime, your supply will continue as normal and energy regulator Ofgem says any credit balances will be protected.

The energy situation is only going to get worse this winter,

The cross channel link has had to be shut down due a fire and even when back on it will only operate at half capacity this winter.

The link was supposed to be to allow power to flow both ways but we are importing French Nuclear Energy constantly because we no longer have enough of our own generation capacity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

The energy situation is only going to get worse this winter,

The cross channel link has had to be shut down due a fire and even when back on it will only operate at half capacity this winter.

The link was supposed to be to allow power to flow both ways but we are importing French Nuclear Energy constantly because we no longer have enough of our own generation capacity.

Not looking good, is it.  We've known about this possibility, indeed likelihood, for several years - it's been very well trailed.  Unfortunately, though, as with Coronavirus, we've had a series of governments with their heads stuck firmly in the sand.