P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Harry.

I have had sales calls on Stockton high Street since 1977 and never seen this.

Graham.

Neither had we, Graham. I doubt it was the sort of shop you’d have been supplying though - it was on the main street, but just selling outdated stuff. A small shop, can’t obviously recall the name, and most of the stuff was fine. But not the pies. I’m sure they were OK too, but not left in the open in a dump. Can’t recall the year, but we were staying in a Post House just outside Middlesbrough, so probably in the 90s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Hello Brian- just back from our night out.  The b and b was terrific,   just read the Trip advisor reports, all describe it perfectly.  It is called Rose Cottage, in Brant Broughton,  near Newark but in Lincs.  Beautifully furnished, and immaculate;  charming owners, and excellent British breakfast.  Our only slight disappointment that the pub just up the road, which has friendly and efficient staff, was not quite as good foodwise as I was expecting -  fairly good but not 'gastro'.  Still a nice place though.

My daughter said that if she was staying round here when I don't  have room, they would definitely choose it over the Newark Premier Inn.

Thanks for that LL,I'll put that on my list when looking for weekend breaks.

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

Chocolate covered cockroaches are to die for,literally.

I have tried various “bugs”. My favourite nephew decided to get me a box of them for a Christmas present and watched as he made me try them in my own personal bush tucker trial. 

Nothing was unpleasant but neither would I run out to buy them again. I’m sure that as a good source of protein hidden in a sauce like a curry or herbs butter they would be fine.

• Like 1

They’re an obvious source of protein in a hungry world.  Dried and ground into powder to be added to flour/ground cereals.  The ultimate, no matter how gross it sounds, is maggots which grow on … well,  all the filthy stuff.  Litter from chicken pens, abbatoir waste, you name it

Charming topic for a Sunday afternoon.  Sorry

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Neither had we, Graham. I doubt it was the sort of shop you’d have been supplying though - it was on the main street, but just selling outdated stuff. A small shop, can’t obviously recall the name, and most of the stuff was fine. But not the pies. I’m sure they were OK too, but not left in the open in a dump. Can’t recall the year, but we were staying in a Post House just outside Middlesbrough, so probably in the 90s.

I have been a rep for Records/cassettes, chocolate, pharmacy OTC medications, pharmacy sundries.

There used to be Post house just off the A19/A172 and another near Middlesbrough train station where I stayed before a travel conference when I worked for a TA.

Graham.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I have been a rep for Records/cassettes, chocolate, pharmacy OTC medications, pharmacy sundries.

There used to be Post house just off the A19/A172 and another near Middlesbrough train station where I stayed before a travel conference when I worked for a TA.

Graham.

It was probably the first one, Graham.  It was at Thornaby, and is I think a Sporting Lodge or some such thing now.  We used to use Forte Hotels a lot back then, all over the country on various holidays, but it was bought and broken up by Granada and their Gerry Robinson.  A great shame.  Rocco Forte lives on, but his hotels are in an entirely different price bracket!

• Like 1

I remember going into a local butchers shop and buying 1/2lb of sausages .

The butcher asked if that was everything ? I said " Give me a dozen of your

very best bluebottle fly's please"  .

He looked annoyed  and said "we do not sell fly's ":classic_angry:

Which I found very strange as he had plenty in his shop window.:classic_unsure: 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It was probably the first one, Graham.  It was at Thornaby, and is I think a Sporting Lodge or some such thing now.  We used to use Forte Hotels a lot back then, all over the country on various holidays, but it was bought and broken up by Granada and their Gerry Robinson.  A great shame.  Rocco Forte lives on, but his hotels are in an entirely different price bracket!

Brings back memories ! Post Houses were the hotels of choice for us reps, back in the day. I knew the menu off by heart.

And the slog down to the Post House at Heathrow for sales conferences, using the North Circular- no M25 in those days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

They’re an obvious source of protein in a hungry world.  Dried and ground into powder to be added to flour/ground cereals.  The ultimate, no matter how gross it sounds, is maggots which grow on … well,  all the filthy stuff.  Litter from chicken pens, abbatoir waste, you name it

Charming topic for a Sunday afternoon.  Sorry

As an inner city plumber the sackfuls of flour under the stairs I had to move walked out on their own.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Not a good day with the weather in Lanzarote, unusually chilly and cloudy. Still a great cruise and we love Iona, but heard some moans about its size. Don't people do any research before booking ?  Two good dinner shows in the Limelight Club and the highlight for us is Neil Lockwood of ELO part 11, in the theatre. Another 5 days, just hope the weather improves.

I wonder if Neil Lockwood is staying on as we sail on Iona next week...........

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I remember going into a local butchers shop and buying 1/2lb of sausages .

The butcher asked if that was everything ? I said " Give me a dozen of your

very best bluebottle fly's please"  .

He looked annoyed  and said "we do not sell fly's ":classic_angry:

Which I found very strange as he had plenty in his shop window.:classic_unsure: 

My family used to like 'dead fly' biscuits, the ones with currants in them. Many years later I lunched in my favourite Glass House on Marella Discovery where they had a selection of freshly baked biscuits. Two dead fly ones please says I. The little man behind the counter looked horrified. Oops, how embarrassing :classic_blush:

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Brings back memories ! Post Houses were the hotels of choice for us reps, back in the day. I knew the menu off by heart.

And the slog down to the Post House at Heathrow for sales conferences, using the North Circular- no M25 in those days. 

Spent our wedding night in a Post House. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Spent our wedding night in a Post House. 

Us too - used the one in Clayton for our reception and then travelled up to Manchester.

Sadly the one in Manchester was taken over by Britannia Hotels ---- say no more.

• Like 2

Just now, Presto2 said:

Us too - used the one in Clayton for our reception and then travelled up to Manchester.

Sadly the one in Manchester was taken over by Britannia Hotels ---- say no more.

Post Houses were perfectly good hotels - at the other end of the spectrum, though, Britannia.  As you say.

They seem to have expanded somewhat, picking up various previously decent hotels and stamping their own unique branding on them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

My brother was a chef at Post House, Clayton just off M6 jct 15 for a few years in the 90s.

Pretty poor day weather wise, it rained this morning and has been windy all day with heavy cloud and just the odd sunny spell. It has still been pleasantly warm and nice for wandering about and sitting on balcony reading. It is obvious that a lot of families have gone home but is still busy. We decided to go out for tea and found a very nice Spanish /Mexican restaurant, I couldn't resist the pizza again.

P2270011.JPG

P2270014.JPG

P2270013.JPG

P2270012.JPG

P2270010.JPG

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Pretty poor day weather wise, it rained this morning and has been windy all day with heavy cloud and just the odd sunny spell. It has still been pleasantly warm and nice for wandering about and sitting on balcony reading. It is obvious that a lot of families have gone home but is still busy. We decided to go out for tea and found a very nice Spanish /Mexican restaurant, I couldn't resist the pizza again.

P2270011.JPG

P2270014.JPG

P2270013.JPG

P2270012.JPG

P2270010.JPG

Great photos Phil.

You both look happy with great sun tans.

Graham.

• Thanks 1