P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I  never met a celebrity in my life. I mean the very last time there was a chance to meet someone was 11 years ago and it was Arnold Schwarz. Unfortunately I only saw him get into his Hammer and drive away.. well, in any case I have no idea what I would tell him if I meet him. Its better not to bother them anyway

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Article in the BBC news  with the headline “Britain’s told not to stockpile ahead of January”.

In the comments section people are saying that the supermarkets have already put limits back on certain items. I can’t say I have noticed that as yet when ordering but perhaps I’m not buying the popular items or in small enough quantities that the restrictions don’t come up.

Anyone noticed this when ordering?

Perversely the fact that stockpiling is mentioned is likely to cause it. I suppose however that the news needs reported, the Sunday times also mentioned supermarkets being instructed by ministers to stockpile.

I'm not stockpiling but because we are doing a friends weekly shopping as well as our own I passed the 'total' limit on my Tesco order this week and have had to book a Sainsburys order as well!!Not very good for the environment but needs must!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I  never met a celebrity in my life. I mean the very last time there was a chance to meet someone was 11 years ago and it was Arnold Schwarz. Unfortunately I only saw him get into his Hammer and drive away.. well, in any case I have no idea what I would tell him if I meet him. Its better not to bother them anyway

Hi Rodger, don't be shy ,what could go wrong ? 
Apart from the following movie scenes ..:classic_unsure:

“You’re a funny guy Rodger, I like you. That’s why I’m going to kill you last.” [Commando]

He could even invite you to.... 

“Stick around.” [After pinning a man to a tree with a knife – Predator]

He may even offer you a bite to eat .....  “If it bleeds, we can kill it.” [Predator]

Or he may take one look at you and say ....

“I’ll be back!” [The Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Commando, The Running Man, Twins, Total Recall, Last Action Hero]

You maybe right Rodger, best not to bother him ...

“Hasta la vista, baby!” [Terminator 2: Judgment Day] :classic_wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The government advises people not to stockpile for Christmas, then what happens? people rush out and clear the shelves😁. Anyway must rush to the shops, only 10 x 24 packs of bog rolls left in the house.

No room to stock pile in our house. It's full of Christmas stuff 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

I'm not stockpiling but because we are doing a friends weekly shopping as well as our own I passed the 'total' limit on my Tesco order this week and have had to book a Sainsburys order as well!!Not very good for the environment but needs must!

I've had the same problem with ordering for neighbours. I imagine you already know that the limits move in mysterious ways, eg during the first lockdown you could only order 3 individual baking potatoes but could order 3 giant bags of the things, encased in plastic, so buying pre-packaged items works in some cases. Ditto tinned tomatoes and other tinned goods - 3 individual tins or 3x4 packs. The other daft thing with the limit is that delivery saver account holders can get the balance of their shopping the following day with no additional charge.

Also, Sainsbury's here have free deliveries some days at crack of dawn and late evening - again not environmentally friendly, but at least it's cost-friendly, plus they do have their green van symbol indicating when they are delivering nearby.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Are you up early or late to bed?

Noticed that Tesco is restricting naan to 3 when I updated an order yesterday.

Early riser but particularly early today as there is a storm blowing outside and the wind is literally howling through the trees.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Her first dance on Saturday was awful, that probably cost her. 

Andy 

It was the second dance surely? After the first set of dances she was second on the leader board!

Anyway I’m over it now! More upset about Liverpool’s miserable draw and my washing machine breaking - not a good weekend!!

I think it’s too late to stockpile now, as it’ll turn into panic buying. 

I’ve been buying a few extra items for months when stocks were plentiful, so I now have supplies in the house, if it all goes a bit crazy.

I’ve prepared in the same way for each ‘no deal’ deadline. When it didn’t happen, I ate my supplies, and then started again for the next deadline.

I feel cross that I feel it is necessary to take this action. 

But on the other hand I was pleased to have taken this action, as I didn’t have to worry about shopping in March, and vindicated from the sneers of the Project Fear brigade, as we have learned that it doesn’t take much for a panic to start. 

• Like 5

I’ve done similar and got a very full cupboard.  

I’m kinda thinking I don’t need, eg, a month’s worth, as there would be riots and goodness knows what before that.  However, I think we could easily survive a week if everything does go belly-up, and just about do a fortnight without going outside (into the riots?)

Fingers crossed it’s all for nothing and I can have a peaceful and cheap shopping month or so, eating down the excess provisions

As the old Chinese curse is reputed to go

”May you live in interesting times” 🙄

• Like 6

Am I being cynical, or do I smell a last minute agreement to do a deal, which will suddenly emerge and they will all look like heroes?

I think hrvy or whatever his name is  is actually the best overall dancer, followed closely by Maisie, and was sorry Ranvir went - she was lovely at ballroom, but not good at the modern stuff, whereas Jamie is the complete opposite and ungraceful by comparison.  And less appealing as a personality, of course, to many of us.   But if it depends on the great British public Bill Bailey will probably  win!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

The government advises people not to stockpile for Christmas, then what happens? people rush out and clear the shelves😁. Anyway must rush to the shops, only 10 x 24 packs of bog rolls left in the house.

If you ever run out then perhaps consider doing what the Romans did?

That thought would make anyone want to stockpile!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m kinda thinking I don’t need, eg, a month’s worth, as there would be riots and goodness knows what before that.  However, I think we could easily survive a week if everything does go belly-up, and just about do a fortnight without going outside (into the riots?)

Fingers crossed it’s all for nothing and I can have a peaceful and cheap shopping month or so, eating down the excess provisions

I’m hoping that the worst that happens is that I have a cheap shopping month in January

However, after seeing what happened in March when demand was the problem, if there’s issues with the supply chain as well, it could cause even bigger issues.

As there’s also a pandemic still raging, as well as potential Brexit issues, I intend to lay low In January, whatever happens 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

We have a few extra bits and pieces gathered over the last few months but then we do that every winter anyway in case of bad weather.

• Like 1

Just now, zap99 said:

Unfortunately, still the practice in many countries.

I make a point of carrying toilet roll and hand wipes when going any where with more limited facilities. I have on occasions been extremely popular with fellow travellers in need because of that habit.

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I make a point of carrying toilet roll and hand wipes when going any where with more limited facilities. I have on occasions been extremely popular with fellow travellers in need because of that habit.

DW always packs sanitiser and packets of moist loo paper. First task this year in Hotels and self-catering was to sanitise every thing. If I stood still for to long I got sanitised. It has worked so far this year. I wonder how she will get on sanitising Celebrity eclipse in June ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I was slightly heartened by the boss of Tesco in a radio interview last week.  He said that, even in the worse case scenario, there would not be food shortages, per se.  He acknowledged that there would be times when there were gaps on the shelves but never when the shelves would be empty.  Looks like we’ll need to be flexible and be prepared to shuffle the menu plans.

I won’t add my personal thoughts - nothing to be gained, lots of snoozing canines best left in their beds

We have fed our families during the many recessions we've been through and survived, and if necessary will do so again. We won't starve, no matter what some people would have us believe. 

Avril

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We have fed our families during the many recessions we've been through and survived, and if necessary will do so again. We won't starve, no matter what some people would have us believe. 

Avril

I think if we are adaptable re food it will perfectly fine. We may not get personal favourite dishes but as you say we won’t starve.

The only thing that slightly concerns me is access to fresh vegetables as we eat a lot of vegetarian food and frozen is not the same for making many dishes, too wet. I presume however that we will be fine for staples grown here, carrot and turnip stew anyone🥕

40 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

"What have the Romans done for us?"

The aqueduct.
What?
...they, they gave us the aqueduct...

Yes, they did give us that, that's true
And sanitation Yes, that too
The aqueduct I'll grant is one
thing the Romans may have done
And the roads, now they're all new
And the great wines too

Well, apart from the wines and fermentation,
And the canals for navigation
Public health for all the nation

Apart from those, which are a plus,
what have the Romans ever done for us?

What have the Romans,
what have the Romans,

The baths.
What?
...the public baths...
Oh, yes, yes...

The public baths are a great delight,
and it's safe to walk in the streets at night.
Cheese and medicine, irrigation,
Roman law and education
the circus for our delectation
and the gladiation

Well, apart from medicine, irrigation,
health, roads, cheese and education,
baths and the Circus Maximus,

What have the Romans,
what have the Romans,

Brought peace.
Oh, shut up!
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Hi Rodger, don't be shy ,what could go wrong ? 
Apart from the following movie scenes ..:classic_unsure:

“You’re a funny guy Rodger, I like you. That’s why I’m going to kill you last.” [Commando]

He could even invite you to.... 

“Stick around.” [After pinning a man to a tree with a knife – Predator]

He may even offer you a bite to eat .....  “If it bleeds, we can kill it.” [Predator]

Or he may take one look at you and say ....

“I’ll be back!” [The Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Commando, The Running Man, Twins, Total Recall, Last Action Hero]

You maybe right Rodger, best not to bother him ...

“Hasta la vista, baby!” [Terminator 2: Judgment Day] :classic_wink:

I thought he said "Stick around" to the bad guy in Commando when he stuck him with the length of scaffold pole?