P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Looks like one law for us and another for them again. Rees-Mogg this time.

MP Jacob Rees-Mogg criticised for crossing tier boundaries to go to church

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/mp-jacob-rees-mogg-criticised-4858148

Whilst I'm no fan of Mr Rees-Mogg, church goers will know that there are strict protocols observed when attending masses. 

Hand sanitizers must be used and an attendance register is kept. Once inside there are strict seating plans and no one can move inside a church unless the Usher tells you.

Still doesn't excuse him, but fellow parishioners can feel safe regardless of this Covidiot  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Not in the part of the UK I come from Supper has always been if needed a light snack before bed. Main meal of the day at 6pm onwards has either been called Dinner or Tea depending how "posh" you are.

I bet Jason Rees-Mogg has Tiffin.,🤣

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Looks like one law for us and another for them again. Rees-Mogg this time.

MP Jacob Rees-Mogg criticised for crossing tier boundaries to go to church

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/mp-jacob-rees-mogg-criticised-4858148

Not in all cases apparently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55537974

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought the same when I opened a tube of Pringles. I'm sure the crisps used to fill the tube. Now they look lost and rattle around they are so tiny.

Simple psychology, make you think you are getting more for less. I once remember being a six sigma task to find a way to get transport costs down in my early management days, one option was to put our formulation into square PET bottles rather than round ones, saved 12%. We had to inform our customers of this as it was a major change, some complained that a different shaped bottle would affect their production costs, so we gave them the option of the new bottles or a 12% price hike to cover our costs, guess which one they chose? This leads me to wonder why thousands of Planes, trains, ships and trucks carry fresh air all over the globe just so supermarkets can con us into paying the same price for a bit less.

10 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Not in the part of the UK I come from Supper has always been if needed a light snack before bed. Main meal of the day at 6pm onwards has either been called Dinner or Tea depending how "posh" you are.

Supper to our Canadian relatives always refers to their evening meal, I guess there are many areas in this country where this N American terminology has become the norm.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Supper to our Canadian relatives always refers to their evening meal, I guess there are many areas in this country where this N American terminology has become the norm.

Supper club was always for an evening meal.

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

This leads me to wonder why thousands of Planes, trains, ships and trucks carry fresh air all over the globe just so supermarkets can con us into paying the same price for a bit less.

With your manufacturing background, I'm sure you are aware that in many cases packets need to contain air to protect the products inside them [a crisp packet with no air would not protect crisps from breaking into crumbs] or to allow for contents of the pack to settle after filling.

That is not to say that some packaging seeks to mislead the actual size of the contents within, but given the cost of transport, especially air freight, no one deliberately sets out to transport excess air. 

• Like 1

In Welsh:

Brecwast - breakfast

Baet - mid morning snack

Cinio - lunch (or dinner in English which is our midday meal)

Te - tea (which is most definitely afternoon tea, cakes and bread and butter, never a full meal)

Swper - evening meal

On farms, ‘amser cinio’ (dinner time) would be the main meal of the day. In the evening, ‘amser swper’ (supper time) was the light evening meal, often quite late as we’d had a proper tea of bread and butter and cakes at 4pm. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

With your manufacturing background, I'm sure you are aware that in many cases packets need to contain air to protect the products inside them [a crisp packet with no air would not protect crisps from breaking into crumbs] or to allow for contents of the pack to settle after filling.

That is not to say that some packaging seeks to mislead the actual size of the contents within, but given the cost of transport, especially air freight, no one deliberately sets out to transport excess air. 

The Chinese don't transport air ! 

Once at our works I had a 40ft container coming in from the docks and for some 

reason it had been delayed . Anyway the day was getting late and I opted for myself to 

stay back and unload it. 

I had been at work since 5am and it rolled in our yard at 16:30, which did not phase me  

24 lifts and that would be me on my way home.

When I opened the container doors, I could have cried , not a pallet in sight, just boxes 

floor to roof !  Needless to say my hands were on fire by the time I finished and very late too. 

• Like 2

Just now, kalos said:

The Chinese don't transport air ! 

Once at our works I had a 40ft container coming in from the docks and for some 

reason it had been delayed . Anyway the day was getting late and I opted for myself to 

stay back and unload it. 

I had been at work since 5am and it rolled in our yard at 16:30, which did not phase me  

24 lifts and that would be me on my way home.

When I opened the container doors, I could have cried , not a pallet in sight, just boxes 

floor to roof !  Needless to say my hands were on fire by the time I finished and very late too. 

Been there and got that T shirt. Even worse loading into containers when you have to tie the boxes in because they didn't have segment stability, then finding old pallets and blocks of wood to fill the gap at the back to stop the load moving. If we had a delivery from China we always parked the forklift with a pallet on behind the doors as we opened them as many a time the load would have shot out because of shoddy packing.

• Like 1

I see that the supermarkets are tightening up the rules again with some re-introducing traffic light system and virtual queuing. Anything that helps I suppose.

I have not been in a shop since last March and am grateful for the delivery drivers who are always so pleasant and helpful. Seems to be more and more unavailable items though after Christmas (passata, garlic, broth, bread flour, courgettes, stock cubes etc etc) random things. Hopefully just a blip that will be sorted out soon. I had got used to getting everything I ordered for a while there.

For those going into supermarkets what are they like?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

In Welsh:

Brecwast - breakfast

Baet - mid morning snack

Cinio - lunch (or dinner in English which is our midday meal)

Te - tea (which is most definitely afternoon tea, cakes and bread and butter, never a full meal)

Swper - evening meal

On farms, ‘amser cinio’ (dinner time) would be the main meal of the day. In the evening, ‘amser swper’ (supper time) was the light evening meal, often quite late as we’d had a proper tea of bread and butter and cakes at 4pm. 

I'm fascinated  by your welsh language. Some you can work out,  Brecwast, Te,  Swper but not others. Our island is an interesting melting pot of languages and dialects from different invaders over time and you can see how certain words are pronouned similarly yet spelled differently. To me it's an interesting subject, sorry if I've bored you🥱

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I see that the supermarkets are tightening up the rules again with some re-introducing traffic light system and virtual queuing. Anything that helps I suppose.

I have not been in a shop since last March and am grateful for the delivery drivers who are always so pleasant and helpful. Seems to be more and more unavailable items though after Christmas (passata, garlic, broth, bread flour, courgettes, stock cubes etc etc) random things. Hopefully just a blip that will be sorted out soon. I had got used to getting everything I ordered for a while there.

I have to say that here in Lincs the shops seem to be pretty well stocked,  (well they were on Tuesday)and I haven't noticed any significant out of stocks. The crunch will come when I do my next "run" on Friday.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm fascinated  by your welsh language. Some you can work out,  Brecwast, Te,  Swper but not others. Our island is an interesting melting pot of languages and dialects from different invaders over time and you can see how certain words are pronouned similarly yet spelled differently. To me it's an interesting subject, sorry if I've bored you🥱

Avril

I spent considerable time researching how various invaders had affected the Yorkshire dialect and have several books. Some of the strange names of our towns and villages were created by Vikings.

image.png.67297f36244617f9f6c4a6c1a4f121f6.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Went into Morrisons yesterday and nothing was any different to last week.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Nothing different in Sainsburys on Monday.  No queues, no gaps on shelves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I am a minority... I don't like Creme Eggs.  Do I get banned????

+1

I watched the Cadbury programme on TV recently and was astonished to hear they sold 300 million of them a year in the U.K.  I’m a chocoholic but really dislike the fondant filling. Give me a nice piece of whole nut any day, preferably Lindt but Cadbury’s would do 😋

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’ve just had a Sainsbury’s delivery and 6 items were not available or substituted and the driver confirmed there are lots of items sold out. He said he can see it’s a lockdown from his deliveries but not from the amount of traffic on the roads 🤔

Our Sainsbury’s delivery is due this evening and based on what we have seen in the news we were expecting there to be a lot of items not available especially as we order a lot of fresh fruit and veg. However we are pleasantly surprised to find that they have only swapped the loose tangerines for ready bagged and changed the brand of bread we ordered. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We go to our local Morrisons. No problems at all.

Walking the dog yesterday OH & I commented on how busy the roads were, considering it’s supposed to be lockdown.  Much, much quieter today.  Not as much footfall either - those few other folk around either had a shopping bag or trolley, heading townwards (Waitrose, Cook, Co-op, independent butcher) or had a dog in tow and were heading to the field.

Dog met a similar sized young dog today.  They were both filthy by the time they had finished running and playing and rolling each other in the mud!

• Haha 1

My Tesco order arrived this morning with one substitution, no small Toastie so they gave me a large one for the same price. So tempting with lots of butter 😱 Still no chance of vitamin D supplement though. I will have to order that direct from Lloyds or try for some when I call in for my repeat prescription in 4 weeks time.

Argh! that bl***y black cat has copied the black and white one. I will win, I have opposable thumbs and am bigger than them ,, maybe a half brick following a ballistic trajectory 😈 no, I am not that cruel and even turn down the edges of the chicken wire so they don't impale their little paws