P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We’ve just braved Bluewater shopping centre, the first time we’ve been since restrictions were lifted. It was horribly busy. We only stayed an hour, even my husband said he felt worried by so many people getting too close & not wearing masks, although ‘people’ wasn’t the term he used 🥴

Its our 33rd Wedding Anniversary today so once we’ve taken our little Grandson home later we’re going to order an Indian takeaway, have been looking forward to that all week 😊

Happy anniversary! 

We haven’t been to Bluewater since before the pandemic. I wasn’t planning on going anyway, but going by what you’ve said , I won’t be going any time soon.

I’m going to a Canterbury next week with a friend, so it’ll be the first time since the 19th that I will be going somewhere outside of my usual places. At least it’s outside. We hope to eat outside too, and will wear masks in shops 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We’ve just braved Bluewater shopping centre, the first time we’ve been since restrictions were lifted. It was horribly busy. We only stayed an hour, even my husband said he felt worried by so many people getting too close & not wearing masks, although ‘people’ wasn’t the term he used 🥴

Its our 33rd Wedding Anniversary today so once we’ve taken our little Grandson home later we’re going to order an Indian takeaway, have been looking forward to that all week 😊

A bit late in the day, but Happy Anniversary and hope you enjoyed your Indian meal.

Been at work all day so am now just catching up, and it's been one of those days😒 Hopefully tomorrow will be better, especially as I am on a late shift!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Just catching up on you guys been very busy packing for the new flat and chucking out 43 years of rubbish stored in the attic it’s very hard and trying to look after 2 sick in-laws and it’s starting to tell on us . 

A very big Happy Anniversary to you both and hope you had a lovely day despite blue water, I hope your Indian meal made up for its🥂🍾💐🎈

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Just catching up on you guys been very busy packing for the new flat and chucking out 43 years of rubbish stored in the attic it’s very hard and trying to look after 2 sick in-laws and it’s starting to tell on us . 

A very big Happy Anniversary to you both and hope you had a lovely day despite blue water, I hope your Indian meal made up for its🥂🍾💐🎈

Take care of yourselves Sandra.

Congratulations in moving to a new property.

Graham.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Take care of yourselves Sandra.

Congratulations in moving to a new property.

Graham.

Thank you graham but we don’t move in until middle of September, having work done on it at the moment, down sizing is hard , so much work to do , I’ve pulled muscles in my leg and now have a trapped nerve in my back , we’ve both lost weight because we’re too tired to cook properly after getting back from cooking in-laws dinner, the plus side is we’re losing weight for our September cruise 😉 but we have treated ourselves to a Chinese tonight after taking two of my grandchildren home that’s been staying with me all week too , sorting there toys etc out , I think my husband is running out of steam losing a lot of weight but I think we’re take it easy this weekend and have some hot tub time and chill to recharge batteries for Monday 🥺

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Happy Anniversary to you both! It is ours today as well 38 years... where does the time go? Stayed at home today all by myself hubby had to work 😔 heres to the next 38? Years 😁

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Happy Anniversary to you both! It is ours today as well 38 years... where does the time go? Stayed at home today all by myself hubby had to work 😔 heres to the next 38? Years 😁

Happy anniversary to you both too 🥂🍾 to the next 38 years 

57 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Just catching up on you guys been very busy packing for the new flat and chucking out 43 years of rubbish stored in the attic it’s very hard

I totally sympathise with you.

Fortunately (?) we have never lived anywhere for more than seven years, so every time we move we get rid of  the stuff that we thought might come in useful one day, but never did! 

And, without being trite,  if you have had something in the attic for 30+ years and not looked at it,  is it really important or valuable? 

Having said all that,  leaving after 43 years is  difficult. My Mum has been living in the family home for 63 years, and she doesn't want to leave! She has her vegetable plot to tend, even though she is 95! 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Belated Happy Anniversary to you both! Ours is 34 in September! I’m sorry you found Bluewater bad, we didn’t find it too bad last Saturday but we went early. By the time we left after an early lunch it was noticeable that there were less people wearing masks than at the start.

As someone else said rainy and Friday doesn’t help! How I miss my Thursdays and Fridays off from my old job! John and I can only go out late afternoons now or the weekend 😔

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Happy anniversary! 

We haven’t been to Bluewater since before the pandemic. I wasn’t planning on going anyway, but going by what you’ve said , I won’t be going any time soon.

I’m going to a Canterbury next week with a friend, so it’ll be the first time since the 19th that I will be going somewhere outside of my usual places. At least it’s outside. We hope to eat outside too, and will wear masks in shops 

I went a couple of times before restrictions were lifted and it was fine but yesterday was a free for all, I won’t be in a hurry to go back. I only wanted to get to a bigger Boots than our local one to get a particular mascara. I’ll order it online next time. Have a lovely time in Canterbury with your friend.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Happy Anniversary to you both too 😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Happy anniversary! 

I think you’ll find a Monday or Tuesday early (especially after the school holidays finish ) will be ok. 
John and I often used to go about 3pm on a Friday and it would be fine, but not in school holidays! Everyone is picking up their school children then. I have been working til 6pm on Fridays but as from this week I’m back to my old Thursday late! Hooray!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Belated happy anniversary to you both 😊

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Belated Happy Anniversary to you both! Ours is 34 in September! I’m sorry you found Bluewater bad, we didn’t find it too bad last Saturday but we went early. By the time we left after an early lunch it was noticeable that there were less people wearing masks than at the start.

As someone else said rainy and Friday doesn’t help! How I miss my Thursdays and Fridays off from my old job! John and I can only go out late afternoons now or the weekend 😔

Thanks Sue. 
I expect morning would have been better there but my husband didn’t finish work until lunchtime. A couple of shops were still limiting numbers, happily the Lego shop was one of them so we had a browse and bought some Duplo for grandson 😊

• Like 2

Morning all, can’t believe tomorrow is August already! Hope the weather improves from the last week or so.

Remember I was amused when I booked my train tickets from Carlisle to Edinburgh and John and I were seated 6 rows apart? I meant to come back on that. Every booked seat was one in each row of two so when we got on the train John just sat in the seat next to me. Nothing was said and our tickets weren’t checked!! On the return journey the chap on the tannoy repeatedly said the system couldn’t work out if you were in the same household or not and, of course, you could sit together if you were in the same household or bubble!

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Having said all that,  leaving after 43 years is  difficult. My Mum has been living in the family home for 63 years, and she doesn't want to leave! She has her vegetable plot to tend, even though she is 95! 

Lots of family memories in that house Wowzz, for all your family really as well as your Mum.

Not living too far from our family home of 25 years I still find myself having a drive through 

the village and passing "our house that was " . I bet it is really hard for your Mum :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks Sue. 
I expect morning would have been better there but my husband didn’t finish work until lunchtime. A couple of shops were still limiting numbers, happily the Lego shop was one of them so we had a browse and bought some Duplo for grandson 😊

Joshua loves duplo. We’ve got our sons old ‘Tomy’ train set out the loft recently he absolutely loves it! It’s nearly 30 years old but just about works! It has batteries in the engines and some of them struggle to pull. Joshua loves to add about 8 trucks to them and they struggle 😆 Great fun though.John replaced some of the tyres with washers and that helped! He found the proper ones on line but the tyres were £9 and the postage was £16!! So he got the washers at £1.92 😆

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

Lots of family memories in that house Wowzz, for all your family really as well as your Mum.

Not living too far from our family home of 25 years I still find myself having a drive through 

the village and passing "our house that was " . I bet it is really hard for your Mum :classic_unsure:

We’ll have the same problem with my mum and dad soon. They’ve lived in their house since 1964!! It’s too much for them now and I think they’re finally realising they’ll have to move. It’s going to be hard. They should have done it about 10 years ago really.

• Like 3

Just to say something nice about  a company - expecting a parcel via Royal Mail today, and as in the past several times I have had an email, with a tracking facility, and every time it has been speedy and correct.  A nice contrast with some of the other delivery companies.

So if anyone here works for Royal Mail, hats off, at least from me.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Joshua loves duplo. We’ve got our sons old ‘Tomy’ train set out the loft recently he absolutely loves it! It’s nearly 30 years old but just about works! It has batteries in the engines and some of them struggle to pull. Joshua loves to add about 8 trucks to them and they struggle 😆 Great fun though.John replaced some of the tyres with washers and that helped! He found the proper ones on line but the tyres were £9 and the postage was £16!! So he got the washers at £1.92 😆

Oh how lovely that he can play with his daddy’s train set! I was never very sentimental about keeping our children’s things, plus we moved house when our youngest was almost 4 so got rid of lots of stuff then, I wish I hadn’t now. We do have our sons scalextric & Lego for when Elijah’s older.

Most of the Duplo says 2+ but we found a couple of 18 months sets, he’s still only 16 and a half months but we play with it with him anyway, grandad moves very good rocket ships 😂

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

the village and passing "our house that was " . 

Every time we return to Essex we drive past what was the family home for over 60 years. 

This time, I couldn't believe how overgrown my 'mums' bush was... 

Would never have happened in our day.. 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

A bit late, but congratulation and hope you had a lovely anniversary.

My nephew lives opposite the house I grew up in and it has changed a lot.  We have lived were we are in now for 27 years and as the children have left (and come back! - from time to time, latest arrival was my daughter yesterday) we have a lot of their stuff up in the loft. Each time one of them comes back we seem to acquire even more😕 We really should have a good clear out.

• Like 2

A few years ago I had to clear out my Mum's house when she went into a care home.  Over 40 years of stuff in the loft.  I couldn't believe some of the stuff in there.  There was a sofa my Dad had taken apart to get it through the hatch!  He must have put there in the 70's.  There was a Dansette record player, which is now in my log cabin/man cave.  Also a quite pretty music box which Dad had bought for Mum in the far east when he was in the merchant navy.  It's now on display in our house.  

• Like 4

Interesting topic raised there. When’s the ‘right’ time to move nearer the children, assuming that’s what they want?

Logically, sooner rather than later, though almost always it’s done too late, and I’m as guilty of that as anyone. Our problem is finding the right place in East Yorkshire - and not for want of looking. The house we have now is absolutely perfect. We designed it, with an architect of course, specifically for old age and it’s perfect in every respect for that. Wide internal doors, bedrooms downstairs as well as upstairs, plenty of space etc, but a bit of a distance from the children. Not an impossible distance, but nearer would be better for them. Good doctors too, and that’s very important.

If the right place came up we’d probably make the move, but there are other factors, often overlooked - what happens if the children have to move for work reasons? 

• Like 4