PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

18 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I have an absentee ballot, but hope to vote in person. I'm actually using the absentee ballot to look at the down ballot elections. I don't know anything about those races.

Does NC Secretary of State not send out a voter information book? We get sample ballots a couple of months in advance, then we get our actual ballots and a Voter Information book that has all the statewide races, and propositions, including fiscal analyses as well as arguments pro and con and rebuttals to those arguments. It's really helpful. The sample ballot has similar information for local races and measures, including candidate statements. 

It's so interesting to learn about how things are done in different places.

I'm very glad you are carefully considering down-ballot races. I tell people to think of their vote as a drop of food coloring. In a statewide race, you're dropping into an Olympic size swimming pool, for county-wide, into a home pool, for city, it's more like a large mixing bowl, for your landscape district, it's more like a tea cup. The smaller the race, the more powerful the vote. Of course, the water in this analogy is taped to my very populous state, and rather small landscape district. I also tell them that School Board elections are among the very most important. 

Greetings from southwest MT, where the fall foliage is stunning, and which we will soon leave for southern ID. 👋

5 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Greetings from southwest MT, where the fall foliage is stunning, and which we will soon leave for southern ID. 👋

Not wanting to be here in the West Central mountains when we get our snow this weekend?

😆

Safe trip!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Not wanting to be here in the West Central mountains when we get our snow this weekend?

😆

Safe trip!

Actually, I'd love to! Gotta go home to see the orthodontist, get a mammogram, VOTE, and do a few other things. We saw some amazing foliage in Idaho, including lots of what I think are probably oaks in a beautiful crimson. 

The family all met in Salt Lake City for Thanksgiving last year. It snowed lightly all weekend. I had very limited counter space in the old motorhome (this one, too) so I set my brine to cool on the table outside. Between the temperature and the snow falling into the pot, it cooled in record time. 

I'm not sure where we will go next, it will depend on when my next appointment is.

• Like 1

We might get a touch of wet late Sunday, but unfortunately we have continued hot, dry weather here with wind kicking up in a few days.  Bad news because an arsonist set a fire along the Manitou Incline in the wooded area about 5 miles from our house this afternoon, too late for any air drops before dusk, and bad terrain making for tough access.  Arrrgg!  What is WRONG with some people?  

16 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

We might get a touch of wet late Sunday, but unfortunately we have continued hot, dry weather here with wind kicking up in a few days.  Bad news because an arsonist set a fire along the Manitou Incline in the wooded area about 5 miles from our house this afternoon, too late for any air drops before dusk, and bad terrain making for tough access.  Arrrgg!  What is WRONG with some people?  

Arsonists are sick and need help. There are a number of firms with miracle cures for arson. They can actually cure arsonists with only a single shot. They are firms such as Heckler & Koch or Smith and Wesson. It really is a miracle cure that works.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 3:06 PM, MamaFej said:

Does NC Secretary of State not send out a voter information book? We get sample ballots a couple of months in advance, then we get our actual ballots and a Voter Information book that has all the statewide races, and propositions, including fiscal analyses as well as arguments pro and con and rebuttals to those arguments. It's really helpful. The sample ballot has similar information for local races and measures, including candidate statements. 

It's so interesting to learn about how things are done in different places.

I'm very glad you are carefully considering down-ballot races. I tell people to think of their vote as a drop of food coloring. In a statewide race, you're dropping into an Olympic size swimming pool, for county-wide, into a home pool, for city, it's more like a large mixing bowl, for your landscape district, it's more like a tea cup. The smaller the race, the more powerful the vote. Of course, the water in this analogy is taped to my very populous state, and rather small landscape district. I also tell them that School Board elections are among the very most important. 

Not that I've seen in the years I've been voting. The local paper does, but it is obviously biased one way. As an independent voter, I would really like to see both sides of the ballot *without* bias.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

Arsonists are sick and need help. There are a number of firms with miracle cures for arson. They can actually cure arsonists with only a single shot. They are firms such as Heckler & Koch or Smith and Wesson. It really is a miracle cure that works.

Thrak, I like you Smith and Wesson cure. For me it’s the Remington 1100 cure. 😳 Now am I the only one going to the the local school and voting the old Fashion way?? 
Tony 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Thrak, I like you Smith and Wesson cure. For me it’s the Remington 1100 cure. 😳 Now am I the only one going to the the local school and voting the old Fashion way?? 
Tony 

Yes. S&W for me too.  After Hurricane Katrina hit our  rural neighborhood,  signs went up all over the area.  They said "You Loot,  We Shoot".  Interesting that no one around here had problems with anyone trespassing, looting, etc.

Likewise in Texas where the phrase, "Don't Mess With Texas" takes on  a new meaning.

A neighbor down the road from me has a sign out that says "380 acres protected by a 380".

Criminals should be well aware of the Castle Doctrine before they attempt a burglary.

Voting:  Down the road at the community Center just like I have done for years.  Why change now?  I have more virus fear in Walmart or a restaurant than I would at a polling place.  What's the  difference?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Tony 

As soon as early voting starts I will be driving on down to vote in person.  I did the same thing for the primary.  We all watch out for each other's property here and if target practice is any indication everyone has plenty of ammo.

• Like 1

S&W is a reasonable option out here, though my dad did have an old bear trap hanging on the office wall for years... Happy news is that we lucked out on resources in the area (flowing stream suitable for pumping water rather than relying on firefighters lugging limited supplies up on their backs, a break in strength/direction of local winds, and that the fire was started late in the day allowing teams to pounce quickly and work through that first night), and fire remains small and well contained.  Yayyy, and whew!

No ballots in the mail today - hopefully Monday.

6 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Yes. S&W for me too.  After Hurricane Katrina hit our  rural neighborhood,  signs went up all over the area.  They said "You Loot,  We Shoot".  Interesting that no one around here had problems with anyone trespassing, looting, etc.

Likewise in Texas where the phrase, "Don't Mess With Texas" takes on  a new meaning.

A neighbor down the road from me has a sign out that says "380 acres protected by a 380".

Criminals should be well aware of the Castle Doctrine before they attempt a burglary.

Voting:  Down the road at the community Center just like I have done for years.  Why change now?  I have more virus fear in Walmart or a restaurant than I would at a polling place.  What's the  difference?

Here in Oregon no need to worry about safety or intimidation at the polls. We have been voting by mail for 20 years. You are automatically registered when you get your driver’s license. All registered voters get a ballot in the mail and you can mail it back, put it in a drop box or take it to an election office. We have no polling places

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, memoak said:

Here in Oregon no need to worry about safety or intimidation at the polls. We have been voting by mail for 20 years. You are automatically registered when you get your driver’s license. All registered voters get a ballot in the mail and you can mail it back, put it in a drop box or take it to an election office. We have no polling places

What about registered voters who have died or moved since getting their driver's license.  Does whoever lives at that address now just fill it out and mail it back along with their own ballot?  Sounds safe to me.

10 minutes ago, Keksie said:

What about registered voters who have died or moved since getting their driver's license.  Does whoever lives at that address now just fill it out and mail it back along with their own ballot?  Sounds safe to me.

They would have to sign the ballot with a signature that matches the signature the state has on file for that person.  Sounds safe to me

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keksie said:

So they have handwriting analysis done on each ballot?

Yes they do every one by a bi partisan group of workers. Every year ballots are rejected. You can track your ballot on line to see if it has been received.   Actually you sign the envelope the actual ballot is processed on Election Day 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

Yes they do every one by a bi partisan group of workers. Every year ballots are rejected. You can track your ballot on line to see if it has been received. 

Well I guess it works for Oregon.  I know my signature changes depending on my arthritis and I would hate for my ballot to not count.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Maybe Tuesday.  The Post Office is closed Monday for Columbus Day.

Really?  Wow. I worked for the State of California and they got rid of the Columbus Day holiday. Of course it is California... They now call it Indigenous Peoples Day.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

Colorados been voting by mail for years and it works just fine.  You sign the ballot envelope that has a bar code identifying the voter.  They update voter data with death registry data, as my darling 100 y/o mom that we lived with here died late June and though we did not notify the drivers license bureau to cancel her drivers license - yes, she still had one as terrifying as that seems - they did not send a ballot to her ( but Phil and I DID get ours today - yay!).   

• Like 2

Greetings from Primm, NV, where it is considerably warmer than it was in NW MT (duh). 

I’m excited to hug my kids and pet my doggies tonight. Daughter has a Zoom sorority party tonight, I hope we get home before it starts. 

2 hours ago, memoak said:

In 50 years of voting, I have never been concerned about my safety or being intimidated.  It's so nice going to my polling place and seeing my friends and neighbors, all sharing in this wonderful, democratic experience.  Also, I know that when I sign in to vote, I have been verified and that my vote will be definitely counted as certified and cast.  There are no middlemen in the process to interfere or "help" me. I have no concerns whatsoever about my vote being misplaced, lost in the mail or miscounted.

I like that system and if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it with something "better".
And as a final bonus, I get an "I voted" sticker to wear on my shirt proudly for the rest of the day.

Edited by 1980dory
grammatical correction
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Well I guess it works for Oregon.  I know my signature changes depending on my arthritis and I would hate for my ballot to not count.  

I just saw a chart in our local paper which shows that Florida is one of the states which  will notify the voter if there is a problem with their mail ballot, so rest easy!

13 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Now am I the only one going to the the local school and voting the old Fashion way?? 
Tony 

I am off work the first day of early voting and it is the top priority item on my to-do list. I have a mail-in ballot, but I want to go to the polls. I used the mail-in to look up candidates (especially those down ballot races) and mark choices. I'll just have to transfer them to the actual ballot at the polling place.