PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

Today has been sooooooooo very exciting! Multiple calls with 2 different Social Security scams and several calls from a scam claiming to be from "Windows" stating my IP address has been "compromised" and wanting me to press a key to speak with a technician to "change my IP" and "issue me a new license for Windows". Sigh... Who are these people? Oh, wait. That's right. They are morons. I especially like the "robo-voice" Social Security scam call. It's not even grammatically correct and doesn't sound like an "English is my first language" person. I assume that there are people who actually fall for these things but I don't understand why they do so.

Note: I wonder if these people actually know what an IP address is. Mine changes from time to time depending on where I tell my VPN to say I am at the time... Right now my IP is 45.131.194.49 which is in Seattle. Oh, wait... Now my IP is 199.66.92.143 which is in Toronto. Oops! Now it's 193.176.211.95 which is in Hong Kong. Sheesh... Scammers make me crazy with their bogus things. I'm sooooooooo sure some scammer clown "knows" my IP and can "change it" for me. Naturally none of the above are my actual IP here in my home but, at the time I typed them, they were definitely the IP anybody who checked me out would have seen.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Today has been sooooooooo very exciting! Multiple calls with 2 different Social Security scams and several calls from a scam claiming to be from "Windows" stating my IP address has been "compromised" and wanting me to press a key to speak with a technician to "change my IP" and "issue me a new license for Windows". Sigh... Who are these people? Oh, wait. That's right. They are morons. I especially like the "robo-voice" Social Security scam call. It's not even grammatically correct and doesn't sound like an "English is my first language" person. I assume that there are people who actually fall for these things but I don't understand why they do so.

Note: I wonder if these people actually know what an IP address is. Mine changes from time to time depending on where I tell my VPN to say I am at the time... Right now my IP is 45.131.194.49 which is in Seattle. Oh, wait... Now my IP is 199.66.92.143 which is in Toronto. Oops! Now it's 193.176.211.95 which is in Hong Kong. Sheesh... Scammers make me crazy with their bogus things. I'm sooooooooo sure some scammer clown "knows" my IP and can "change it" for me. Naturally none of the above are my actual IP here in my home but, at the time I typed them, they were definitely the IP anybody who checked me out would have seen.

I just noticed this thread.  Thrak - we have Nomorobo.  It is free. It recognizes most robo calls and disconnects after one ring.  We no longer answer our phones.  If the call is legit a message will be left.  Of course we answer calls from people we know.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dickinson said:

I just noticed this thread.  Thrak - we have Nomorobo.  It is free. It recognizes most robo calls and disconnects after one ring.  We no longer answer our phones.  If the call is legit a message will be left.  Of course we answer calls from people we know.

We don't answer most of the calls. We were just "extra bored" today and answered them all. Amazing. I got the same call from multiple numbers in quick succession. Of course the numbers are spoofed and belong to folks who have no idea their number is being used...

• Like 1

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

It’s was very nice in Boston today. Now do I have a fish story for you I caught a monster!! OK it wasn’t ☹️ My two granddaughters were laughing so hard when they seen the fish. Nina said she seen Minnows bigger 😳. It’s was great watching the girls laughing   at me.  It’s GREAT being a Papa!! 🥰
The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

Note: I wonder if these people actually know what an IP address is. Mine changes from time to time depending on where I tell my VPN to say I am at the time... Right now my IP is 45.131.194.49 which is in Seattle. Oh, wait... Now my IP is 199.66.92.143 which is in Toronto. Oops! Now it's 193.176.211.95 which is in Hong Kong. Sheesh... Scammers make me crazy with their bogus things. I'm sooooooooo sure some scammer clown "knows" my IP and can "change it" for me. Naturally none of the above are my actual IP here in my ho

I like the one where I will be arrested. for social security fraud. I say Ok let me hang up and call my son the police officer...lol they hang up every time,,,lol like their names also accent so think barely understand them .Hello my name is Dexter....lol When i am bored I string them along for awhile!

Edited by Reader0108598

10 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

Yep we only have 40 years...lol Missed our anniversary cruise 😞 

I'm truly sorry you missed it. I guess you'll have to make up for lost time in the future with an even longer cruise? I hope you still had a nice celebration.

I'm probably going to be a frustrated mess on the 25th, when we were supposed to leave for our 10.5 week, 3 continent adventure. I'll likely come here to vent, as the folks here are so kind and understanding (or can skim past, if they wish). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I'm truly sorry you missed it. I guess you'll have to make up for lost time in the future with an even longer cruise? I hope you still had a nice celebration.

I'm probably going to be a frustrated mess on the 25th, when we were supposed to leave for our 10.5 week, 3 continent adventure. I'll likely come here to vent, as the folks here are so kind and understanding (or can skim past, if they wish). 

I hope your 25th goes well Congrats either way we have to roll with punches even though they hurt..lol 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

I hope your 25th goes well Congrats either way we have to roll with punches even though they hurt..lol 

Thanks. I might not have been clear. We've been married 29 years, as of last month. We were to take off on a long trip on the 25th of this month. No biggie.

I hope we all are celebrating something onboard before too long, even if what we are celebrating is simply being onboard!

• Like 1

as previously posted, yesterday (Saturday 9/5) we attended a 60th birthday celebration for a very good friend/couple that we've known since their son was 3 and playing 'bob the builder' at tailgate parties ... he graduated college this year with a degree in engineering ...

started at noon - we got there at about noon-thirty ... "ended" at 5:00 - we were one of the last to leave around 10:00 pm - yeah like that had never happened before

25-30 people in a 3 car garage and 4 tailgate tents and tables set up in the driveway ... plenty of beverages were consumed by all and noone came close to getting out of hand, as per usual with this crowd

kinda hate to say it , but there was NO social distancing and masks quickly came off, very few even worn, in the summer heat... it was the first time "out" for most of the people in that type of setting, and maybe a few guards were let down ... I know ours were, but damnit , it was good to see all those people again and many, many comments about how it was much needed to socialize again in these current times.  Lots of 'hugs' lots of laughs, and even some tears

some lost jobs, some working from home...

to be continued, maybe ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

as previously posted, yesterday (Saturday 9/5) we attended a 60th birthday celebration for a very good friend/couple that we've known since their son was 3 and playing 'bob the builder' at tailgate parties ... he graduated college this year with a degree in engineering ...

started at noon - we got there at about noon-thirty ... "ended" at 5:00 - we were one of the last to leave around 10:00 pm - yeah like that had never happened before

25-30 people in a 3 car garage and 4 tailgate tents and tables set up in the driveway ... plenty of beverages were consumed by all and noone came close to getting out of hand, as per usual with this crowd

kinda hate to say it , but there was NO social distancing and masks quickly came off, very few even worn, in the summer heat... it was the first time "out" for most of the people in that type of setting, and maybe a few guards were let down ... I know ours were, but damnit , it was good to see all those people again and many, many comments about how it was much needed to socialize again in these current times.  Lots of 'hugs' lots of laughs, and even some tears

some lost jobs, some working from home...

to be continued, maybe ...

Sounds like the possibility of a super spreader affair. I would quarantine myself

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, memoak said:

Sounds like the possibility of a super spreader affair. I would quarantine myself

A possibility for sure. The local university opened with 10% of classes to be "in person". Lots of students came to town and, of course, a few partied. Since August 24 - 2 weeks for those who are counting - there have been 362 new cases in the 18-24 age group. All in-person classes have been changed to online classes. The dorms - which had been opened with minimal occupation - have been closed.

Today is going to be a bit "toasty" here in Chico. The forecast is for 111°F - is approximately 44°C. Makes me wonder where the power will be shut off. It amazes me that the guidelines to conserve power tell people to set their AC far cooler than we ever set ours. Same in the winter where the recommended "power saver" setting is far warmer than we set our heat.

cornhole was set up, but I didn't see a single bag thrown ... big screen in the garage showing sports, some live, some repeats

talking to people , not many at all had been tested, including a police officer/deputy ...I've been tested twice, both negative, but the last was around July 1st ... no symptoms for either of us ... my wife will be tested on Thursday, but that has nothing to do with what we did, but an opportunity for her that requires it prior to starting the project

not the smartest thing we ever did, but it is what it is ... I'll be watching emails closely for the next couple of weeks ...

I’m rather frustrated that the live-stream of the ceremony isn’t working, but at least my SIL sent pictures. 

I’m super proud of my niece: Dr. Pam! 

I imagine her white coat will be more comfortable than the robe and hood. 

52515CFF-7BAE-454A-9291-02A48727FF9C.jpeg

• Like 5

On 9/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, Thrak said:

Today is going to be a bit "toasty" here in Chico. The forecast is for 111°F - is approximately 44°C. Makes me wonder where the power will be shut off. It amazes me that the guidelines to conserve power tell people to set their AC far cooler than we ever set ours. Same in the winter where the recommended "power saver" setting is far warmer than we set our heat.

It was turned off here in Atascadero from 4-6pm - but we were only at 115 🌞

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

I didn't read the article but I know when this all first began, a choir in Washington state had a practice with half of their choir, about 60, 28 of them contracted the virus and I know there was some death. Currently I'm the only musician allowed in our choir loft....we spit farther when we sing!! I have older choir members and they also need to be careful.  Yes this is all crazy but I'm still in active cancer treatment and have to be careful...I'm really hoping our next cruise will happen because I'll be done with this drug and hopefully have no reoccurrence!  

• Like 2

Our vehicles in the driveway are covered with dirty ash. The sky is ORANGE. We can't tell where the sun is supposed to be. Fires. Again. I freaking HATE the damn fires. Oroville - a nearby town and the home to some of the folks who post here - is under evacuation watch. We know some folks who lost their home in Paradise in the Camp Fire not so long ago who have now been evacuated from their new home outside of Oroville. Did I mention that I freaking HATE the freaking fires? My niece is freaked out. She lost everything - literally everything - in the Camp Fire and now she is really stressing. The look of the sky, the ash, the smoke in the air, are all enough to trigger major anxiety for her.

We're supposed to meet our grandson for breakfast this morning. Nice outside seating. Bleh... We'll still meet though. He goes into the Army next week and we really want to see him before he goes. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..... The joy of sitting outside in the "ash rain" having breakfast.

We had a major fire here in southern Oregon yesterday.  Many homes and businesses gone in two small nearby towns.  We live in Medford and were evacuated last night, but all is well and we are back home.  My nephew is a Medford firefighter and has been on the fire line over 24 hours.  Hopefully he will get a break soon.  We were just feeling good that the fires seemed to pass us by this year and then, bam, here they come.  High temps, low humidity and high winds - a dangerous combination!