Magnifica has 250 passengers with flu symptoms

teamflames

Asking to dock in Fremantle, Western Australia. Western Australia is in the process of closing its borders. The premier just said they don’t want any of their residents risked. Also doesn’t want a repeat of the Princess Ruby debacle where 2,700 passengers allowed to disembark before test results released (now 50 positive cases out in the community).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, teamflames said:

Asking to dock in Fremantle, Western Australia. Western Australia is in the process of closing its borders. The premier just said they don’t want any of their residents risked. Also doesn’t want a repeat of the Princess Ruby debacle where 2,700 passengers allowed to disembark before test results released (now 50 positive cases out in the community).

Bad situation, hope something can be worked out.  As for Ruby blunder last week,  many more cases.

Edited by NSWP

A cruise ship with 1,7000 foreigners on board has been blocked from disembarking in Western Australia after reporting more than 250 passengers on board with a 'respiratory illness'.

Premier Mark McGowan says more than 1,700 people are on board the MSC Magnifica cruise ship.

'I'm advised all passengers are from overseas - Germany, France and Italy. This morning I contacted the Prime Minister and have spoken to the Home Affairs Minister, Peter Dutton, to explain my priority is to protect West Australians.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8141317/Cruise-ship-1-700-passengers-board-wont-allowed-dock-Australia.html

4 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

A cruise ship with 1,7000 foreigners on board has been blocked from disembarking in Western Australia after reporting more than 250 passengers on board with a 'respiratory illness'.

Premier Mark McGowan says more than 1,700 people are on board the MSC Magnifica cruise ship.

'I'm advised all passengers are from overseas - Germany, France and Italy. This morning I contacted the Prime Minister and have spoken to the Home Affairs Minister, Peter Dutton, to explain my priority is to protect West Australians.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8141317/Cruise-ship-1-700-passengers-board-wont-allowed-dock-Australia.html

May have to do a U turn and return to Italy, sad state of affairs if that has to happen.  Surely commonsense will prevail and humanity and law of the sea - ship in distress  prevails.  They could anchor off Freo and have the testing done for a start.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Yeap that what I'm think the cruiseline which is Italian should head home and drop off the passengers in their relevant countries. No country is going to take foreigners who are infected. Maybe if it had a been a few people. But 250 that the ones that have reported to medical. How many others are hiding out in their cabins with the sniffles. 

Edited by icat2000

9 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Yeap that what I'm think the cruiseline which is Italian should head home and drop off the passengers in their relevant countries. No country is going to take foreigners who are infected. Maybe if it had a been a few people. But 250 that the ones that have reported to medical. How many others are hiding out in their cabins with the sniffles. 

But one wonders what the decision would have been if there were a number of Aussies on board in addition to the Italians, Germans etc.  I don't want to even go there Sarah. All the best to you.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

We only have about half that many cases identified in the state. The only thing I could imagine would be chartered flights back to country of origin. There's surely enough planes grounded sitting around at the moment. Respective governments (of the passengers) should be coming to the fore.

*UPDATE* MSC claims everyone aboard is well:

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/cruise-ship-operator-denies-claims-by-wa-premier-there-are-suspected-covid-19-patients-steaming-for-fremantle-20200323-p54cym.html

If that is the case, there is no problem with letting them travel on from Freo. Not coming ashore is a minor inconvenience if MSC is to be believed. It does mean a lot of sea days.

Edited by BulldustHHH

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

But one wonders what the decision would have been if there were a number of Aussies on board in addition to the Italians, Germans etc.  I don't want to even go there Sarah. All the best to you.

Like I said tough times at the moment. 80% of infections have come from overseas or people returning from overseas or stupid tourists not quarantine themselves. We cannot get some Australians to observe social distancing. There is going to be some very hard times for a lot of people including myself until we wake up and start taking things seriously.

Sure I don’t doubt no Australians onboard factored in the no decision. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BulldustHHH said:

We only have about half that many cases identified in the state. The only thing I could imagine would be chartered flights back to country of origin. There's surely enough planes grounded sitting around at the moment. Respective governments (of the passengers) should be coming to the fore.

*UPDATE* MSC claims everyone aboard is well:

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/cruise-ship-operator-denies-claims-by-wa-premier-there-are-suspected-covid-19-patients-steaming-for-fremantle-20200323-p54cym.html

If that is the case, there is no problem with letting them travel on from Freo. Not coming ashore is a minor inconvenience if MSC is to be believed. It does mean a lot of sea days.

Well if there is no sickness onboard no reason why they can’t skip Fremantle and continue on their cruise.

A few minutes ago, the WA government issued this statement:

The cruise vessel Magnifica will make a refuelling stop at Fremantle tomorrow morning, but no passengers or crew will be disembarking.

Over the past 24 hours the vessel had provided inconsistent advice to both the State and Federal Governments, about the health of its passengers and its intentions around disembarkation.

The State Government’s position was clear this morning. That position was based on the latest information received from the cruise company.

MSC Cruises now advises that all passengers and crew are ‘well’ or don’t suffer from any ‘respiratory diseases’.

WA Police and Border Force will be at the port tomorrow morning to monitor the refuel exercise.

In this environment we cannot take risks and we will always put the Western Australian community first.

Sounds like this has all been a politician's overreaction amplified by the press. https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/confusion-reigns-but-cruise-ship-heading-to-fremantle-has-no-coronavirus-cases-on-board-20200323-p54d5r.html

Magnifica is on a world cruise, Italy westward to Italy.

Bill

Edited by Two4Sea

WE were on this cruise.  First and foremost the Captain is doing a wonderful job of keeping everyone as safe as he can.  The USA state department sent a message that all USA citizens be sent home before the boarders were closed.  We got home two days ago.  We left Melbourne to La to Vegas.

Would have love to stay on the ship but understand the world problem and what is best for everyone.  There are many French, Italian and Germans still on board.  there was colds that ran through out the ship but no Respirator problems.  I pray for the crew as their jobs as they know them will be in question.

MSC Magnifica is still tied up in Fremantle, no one allowed off the ship.  Marine Traffic shows next port as Dubai, but they have been refusing ships, that is why Arcadia had to go around Africa and call in at Durban for bunkering and supplies. Magnifica might have to do the same, long way around though.

It's because of the Ruby Princess. Massive problem. The Aussies are steamed. 

Now, the people on the Magnifica are at risk as they sail the vast Indian Ocean. What would happen if they had an outbreak like the Ruby Princess? Where's the nearest port with sufficient medical resources to handle hundreds?

MSC Fantasia is docked in Lisbon and had a confirmed Covid 19 case onboard who is Portuguese, the guest was taken off the ship and all other guests were told to return to their cabins until tested. It seems that the Portuguese authorities have decided to get everyone off the ship and flown home without doing the tests! 

On 3/23/2020 at 3:44 AM, icat2000 said:

When countries are making these "Not in my backyard" decisions, it has to be remembered the most serious of these cases caused by this virus need medical treatment and ventilators that are not available onboard, refusing docking will very likely cause unnecessary death.

3 hours ago, sidari said:

MSC Fantasia is docked in Lisbon and had a confirmed Covid 19 case onboard who is Portuguese, the guest was taken off the ship and all other guests were told to return to their cabins until tested. It seems that the Portuguese authorities have decided to get everyone off the ship and flown home without doing the tests! 

Beyond cruel.  The cruise lines are partially at fault for continuing to carry on long after the Daimond Princess fiasco.

19 minutes ago, BulldustHHH said:

It is reported that the ship appears to have turned around - back in the direction of Fremantle:

https://thewest.com.au/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-crisis-more-confusion-over-sick-cruise-ship-msc-magnifica-as-route-shows-return-to-wa-ng-b881499238z

Bad news.  The Magnifica will be a Flying Dutchamn.  No chance Mauritius will let it dock.

Magnifica is now sailing, according to MarineTraffic and heading for Dubai, ETA 5th April. UAE  closed their ports on March 10th, although did allow specific ships to scheduled dock i.e. Splendida. Dubai has cancelled all visitor visas and flights, except cargo and emergency flights are to be suspended on 26th March. So docking is one thing, the passengers getting home are another - assuming they are going to disembark? The itinerary isn't due to finish until May 1st, surely they can't stay onboard until then - Magnifica isn't mentioned on the itinerary change/cancelled doc on the UK website.

I understand it's at tender in Fremantle. Australia has closed its borders to non citizens. The ship reports no illness on board. It is fully fuelled and provisioned. There is no more for Australia to do.