The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

2 hours ago, BluebonnetTexan said:

Peregrina, I recall reading about a luggage service also. However, once we decided to do the Viking Flam railway tour, we decided taking the direct train from Bergen-Oslo didn’t warrant using that service. But it is definitely an option if you can reduce to basically an overnight bag and send your big bags ahead and spend a couple of days doing NiaN less encumbered. 

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere on these threads and roll calls of talk of a luggage service that will take of getting your luggage from Bergen to Oslo. Considering how many threads and rolls calls that covers, I wish it were more than just a vague recollection.

We did the Bergen to Oslo train on our own in August 2018 after our Viking Homelands cruise.  Tickets are available 90 days in advance thru https://www.vy.no/en.  We reserved Comfort Class tickets as it provided more leg room and space.  Seats can be selected at time of booking and sent via email or mobile download. We spent an extra day in Bergen and made the short walk from our hotel to the train station, but as others have stated, taxis were available from the ship directly to Bergen Station.  We did not pack light, but were able to lift (2 steps) our suitcases (45 lbs) onto the train.  There was plenty of luggage storage space in Comfort Class.  We considered using the Porter Service,  but thought it would be easier to lug our two suitcases and daypacks.  Pickup service early am and delivered to hotel by late evening and appears to be priced per item (300NOK/33USD).  

It's a spectacular train journey -- enjoy!

We did the Norway in a Nutshell trip from Oslo to Bergen in two days with an overnight in Flam.  We were late 70's - early 80's in age and didn't want to haul luggage on the many changes that are part of the NIN.  We used the Porter service and thought it was worth every penny.  Besides saving our backs, it made quick stops easier when we wanted restrooms or snacks and had only small bags to carry with us.  We found (in 2018) that the Porter service picked up only at specific hotels, so we had to change our reservations from the Thon Opera to another Thon hotel near the Oslo station.  The service stored the luggage overnight, and when we arrived at the Rosenkrantz in Bergen the next day, it was waiting for us.  We loved the NIN setup and especially enjoyed doing it in two days instead of one.  We booked through Fjord Tours, but all of the segments can be booked individually.  If you plan to use the Porter service, check on the specific hotels on their pick up and drop off lists.  We'd do it again exactly the same way, if we could get to Norway!     

• Like 1

I was quite surprised to see it was on the Star, rather than the Sun.  We’d  do it again in a minute, but not ready to commit that much money now, even with a reduced down payment.  We are on the 2021 Wake of the Vikings cruise Sept. 1 that brings the Star across the Atlantic to make this trip possible.  I certainly hope that goes.

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

So what do all y’all WC alumni think of the just announced itinerary for the 2021-2022 cruise?

I also was surprised to see it on the Star.  Sun has been the World Cruise ship since the Inaugural.  What do I think?  If the world regains some semblance of sanity and if they have few to none segments, count us in.😎

The Star is an older ship. I wonder if it will have some of the nice updates that started with the SUN.  Significant on the long cruise if you are in V/DV cabin are the drawers in the dresser....would be hard to do with out those.  Also I really LIKE to be able to turn the bathroom heated floor on/off without calling someone!  Also the gym is SMALLER on the older ships and this would definitely be a minus for me on a LONG journey.  These things are not as important for a 2 week cruise!  Now I will go and look at the itinerary and buy a lottery ticket.  Jim,  would love to meet again on another WC!!!

Same here Dee.  You mentioned the gym.  I had forgotten the Sun was the first with the expanded gym area.  I would not like a smaller gym area for 4+ months.  Not sure why they thought this was a good replacement.

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Not sure why they thought this was a good replacement.

Perhaps with the pandemic they are reducing the number of pax for the WC?  I think most of the lines are, to make isolation rooms available, ease social distancing, etc.

Perhaps someone with contacts could inquire?

21 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

if they have few to none segments, count us in.😎

Appears to me that you are unlikely to get your wish given the numerous double overnights which I presume are to easily allow for segmenters to come and go. 

9 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Appears to me that you are unlikely to get your wish given the numerous double overnights which I presume are to easily allow for segmenters to come and go. 

Currently, they only have two options - Viking World Cruise (FLL to London) and Viking World Horizons (LA to London).  Who knows what will happen if they don't sell enough. 

Brilliant itinerary, with a number of new ports and countries - Burma. Really like the number of double overnights. Also noted a couple of interesting ports that are not included - Bangkok & Alexandria.

Couple of biggest negatives for us are the choice of ship and disembarkation in Tilbury. While it is called the London Cruise Terminal, it is little more than a minimally converted cargo shed. Of all UK ports, it is my least favourite. Haven't been on any other ships, but the "Sun" is the WC ship. Just wouldn't seem right joining another ship for 4 months.🙁

Great itinerary, great pricing/inclusions/deposit, but the choice of ship means we won't be signing up. For our next WC, hoping to be back home on the Sun.😀

• Like 1

Yangon is a great addition.  We have done an  Irawaddy river cruise and it was probably my favorite destination.  However since we went Myanmar (Burma) has had some significant political struggles.

I can figure our WHY Viking has chosen the Star to do an extended cruise!!!

Clay,  you have done a TransAtlantic so you really would have been 'around the world'....we needed to add the TA part so we are doing Buenos Aires to Barcelona 3/22!

Edited by deec

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Great itinerary, great pricing/inclusions/deposit, but the choice of ship means we won't be signing up. For our next WC, hoping to be back home on the Sun.😀

maybe they will be moving Sun’s crew to Star so other than the closet drawers and the smaller gym and the outside exercise equipment would you really be able to tell the difference?😂

50 minutes ago, deec said:

Clay,  you have done a TransAtlantic so you really would have been 'around the world'....we needed to add the TA part so we are doing Buenos Aires to Barcelona 3/22!

By that method I could rationalize I’ve already been around the World. Transatlantic N. America to Europe and Vice Versa, Transpacific N America to Japan,  China to Japan and back to China , Rome to Venice, Athens to Istanbul via Africa, and a ferry across the Bosporus from Europe to Asia so yes, I’ve been around the world just not “properly” as my UK friends would say. 😢😂

• Like 1

Here’s hoping we won’t see any Viking ships beached in Turkey like Pullmantur’s Sovereign and Monarch. 🤞. We considered sailing on Monarch for our Transatlantic this year (it was eventually canceled just before embarkation) until Viking had the promo we couldn’t resist. But not at their all inclusive price of under $400 per person we looked at it seriously as a way to save some money.  But the costs to get to Panama or Colombia ended up making it be about the same as Viking. Thank Goodness or we wouldn’t have had a cruise this year at all....even our shortened one. 

424EF741-BC28-441F-A843-67866ABA94A3.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton

22 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

maybe they will be moving Sun’s crew to Star so other than the closet drawers and the smaller gym and the outside exercise equipment would you really be able to tell the difference?😂

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play.😎

I've got a call in to the World Cruise Desk to switch our 2021 LA to London over to 2022.  I hope to hear from them today.  While I have them on the phone, I'll ask about the change of ships and segments.  We were on the Star in January 2019 and they said it was scheduled for a refurb in 2020 or 2021?  I don't recall which.  They're also offering everyone the option to sail on to Bergen, at no additional charge.  

• Like 1

I just talked to the WC desk and don't have a lot of new info to report.  We extended, at no cost, to Bergen.  We're keeping our original DV6 room (which can in below the listed price) so we can maximize the amount left over for another cruise. The woman I talked to didn't know why the Star was chosen over the Sun, but refurbishing is a possibility.  I mentioned that people would like the extra storage the Sun has and she said she'd pass it along.  She thought it would be divided into more segments, but didn't have any info.  She also didn't know if they would be limiting the number of passengers on board.  I guess it's a little early for all these questions!  I'll call my usual Viking guy in a couple days and see if he knows anything more. 

Maria

• Like 1