The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

Hi Dave.  We are originally from L.A.  so know the drives.  Now in Santa Fe, we plan to drive to Colorado Springs next month to the Broadmoor and spend a few luxurious days. It’s only 4 1/2 hours.    I hope that goes.  I need something.  We haven’t been out of SF this year.  I’m taking my own pillow!!  Then two cruises booked in the second half of 2021.  All we can do is hope!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, deec said:

Hi Jim,

We spend most our time in Nuevo Vallarta which is North at a time share Vidanta Resort which is lovely and Pat plays golf BUT it is not really Mexico. It could be plopped down most anywhere in the world!  But we always spend a week in Puerto Vallarta itself at an OLD resort called Los Tules (also time share) so we can go downtown to eat and enjoy MEXICO!!!  The weather is great and do not have to look at snow.  My days of enjoying winter sports are done but I may have to get the skis out this winter to keep cabin fever at bay!

we were talking about winter just today.  Don’t know that our ski resort is even going to open.  Winter looks bleak!

12 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I’m sitting here on my balcony wishing it was the ocean down below rather than green grass.  But at least it’s a lovely morning here in Raleigh.  

I too am getting worried about whether we will ever be able to truly travel freely again. I am so glad we retired early and got our two nomadic years in when we did.  But sure hope we can see some new sights and return to the real life Explorer’s Lounge sometime. 

When I get discouraged (depressed?) about the current situation (Covid, civil unrest, economic recession) I remind myself of how lucky I am to have a nice place to live, food on my table and to be alive.  170,000+ Americans can’t say the same anymore and for my good luck I am truly thankful. 

DFBEA799-288A-4570-99ED-2793EE10D47D.jpeg

clay, I meant to respond earlier.  We echo you entirely.  We are all so fortunate.  There are so many worse off!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 12:54 PM, PasadenaDave said:

We continue to enjoy life in Pasadena, California.  More so now that the good places to eat have expanded outside dining.  I did travel last month to Colorado.  My son got married, but with the Covid risk, my wife who is higher risk did not go.  I drove.  Day one Pasadena to Fuita and Day two to Denver.  I took my time staying rural on my return.  

Return Day 1 Denver to Leadville with excellent ice cream in Buena Vista.  Day 2 Leadville over Independence Pass into Aspen and a hard left at Carbondale to Delta and then 50 miles of dirt road to Nucla and then further west and north to spend the night in Moab.  Day three north to I-70 for a bit and then through Capital Reef and south through Escalante spending the night in Panguich.  Day three through Cedar Breaks and picking up I-15 in Cedar City stopping in Las Vegas for a Covid test (negative) and home that evening.  This is a hot time of year to explore Utah and if it had not been so hot I would have gone south from Moab and cross the river by Ferry at Hall's Crossing but that is another trip.

I might do an explore interior southern Utah in October/November, this is a camping trip and I don't like camping in hot weather.  Camping in hot weather is like my cruise on Norweigon in 1992, a bit primitive and uncomfortable

Hi PasadenaDave -

Glad you were able to get out!  We just finished a 3 week long drive up through California to Oregon and Seattle to see primarily relatives - along with different scenery from our car!  We were quite amazed at how nice people were (other than the very bad, mad, and fast drivers) in all the towns we visited!   Just a change of pace helped our moods so much!

Hope you are enjoying Pasadena.  I grew up there and went to school there but live up the coast now.  Always enjoy visiting though (but perhaps after COVID)...

Meanwhile - here's to thinking about cruising again!

Sigh....

Haven't checked in for a while... 

My husband noticed Princess cruises was offering discounts on Alaska... That was our first cruise and we enjoyed it and I wonder if we left out of Seattle and stayed on board for the Canadian Stops we could go? (If our Norway/Iceland cruise gets called off... )

Feeling pretty cooped up. 

But we are healthy and working and have a roof over our head and food on the table. Could be worse... 

Sigh...

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 2:42 PM, Liz Masterson said:

Sigh....

Haven't checked in for a while... 

My husband noticed Princess cruises was offering discounts on Alaska... That was our first cruise and we enjoyed it and I wonder if we left out of Seattle and stayed on board for the Canadian Stops we could go? (If our Norway/Iceland cruise gets called off... )

Feeling pretty cooped up. 

But we are healthy and working and have a roof over our head and food on the table. Could be worse... 

Sigh...

Hopefully I can provide a quick update on the local situation and how it may impact Alaska cruises. As I'm sure most know, to meet the requirements of the PVSA, Alaska cruises out of Seattle must be R/T and must include a stop in Canada. Note - other options are available, but not feasible for 7-day cruises. Unfortunately, in addition to the US/Canada border being closed, our Canadian ports are also closed to cruise ships.

Will the Federal Govt re-open our ports to cruise ships for the Alaska 2021 season? Nobody knows at present.

While our COVID situation is better than many States, unfortunately BC has experienced an increase from < 10 new cases per day to about 100 per day over the entire Province. Our Provincial Govt yesterday shut down nightclubs and banquet halls again and reduced hours for bars. If young people don't buy in again and the new numbers don't subside, then additional closures will be ordered by our excellent Chief Medical Health Officer.

Our Provincial Govt has maintained the requirement for a 2-week quarantine, which also applies to cruise ship pax. This makes shore leave impossible, at present, even if the Feds opened the ports. Would cruise lines operate out of Seattle, if Canadian ports were open, but pax know in advance they can't get off the ship? Not sure if this complies with PVSA.

Based on the plethora of infected flights arriving at Vancouver, I anticipate our Provincial Govt maintaining the 2-week quarantine for the foreseeable future.

Therefore, I would say Alaska cruises next year are at best 50/50, from both Vancouver and Seattle.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:14 AM, Heidi13 said:

Therefore, I would say Alaska cruises next year are at best 50/50, from both Vancouver and Seattle.

We have a June Alaska cruise booked on Orion.  I agree with your 50/50 assessment.  I suspect we will be vaccinated before then, but vaccinations may not be widespread enough by then for a full restart of cruising.  Maybe they will run ships with the requirement of proof of vaccination and a negative covid test?

But we booked with all this in mind, with the assurance that we can cancel up to 24 hrs before the cruise (for a fcc). DW’s birthday is during the cruise, so wanted to give her something to look forward to 🙂

Yeah I don't think that Alaska Cruise is going to happen... just restless here. And remembering how nice it was. If we did it it would be a VERY last minutes decision to book. I've been figuring a less than 50/50 chance we will be on the Jupiter in July cruising the Norwegien Fjords and on to Iceland... slightly better odds if we have a change of attitude towards masks etc. n the US come January. We shall see. 

We are also booked for the Alaska Cruise on June 8th.   I agree with the 50/50 chance especially when you have a third of the population saying the aren't going to get vaccinated when the vaccine is available.  Way too many people around here still not wearing masks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, haydn12 said:

We are also booked for the Alaska Cruise on June 8th.   I agree with the 50/50 chance especially when you have a third of the population saying the aren't going to get vaccinated when the vaccine is available.  Way too many people around here still not wearing masks. 

I'm a bit more optimistic about our Venice to Istanbul cruise the end of April 2021.  While pockets of Europe and US have had upticks, here in California things seem to have gotten much better in terms of infection and death.  We have to pay for the cruise the end of next month and we plan to.  We are only six months into the pandemic and I am confident that in eight months we can cruise on Viking, we might have bubble excursions, but that is fine for me.  I think there is an 80% chance that our cruise will go.

• 4 weeks later...

'Sad picture at just one of the shipbreakers in the world.  As long as we don't see Viking ships here, I'm happy.  Ivan, can I have another Jack Daniel's please......🥃

image.thumb.png.894672b4a4dd534ecbc9df97ca7ed3ac.png

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, deec said:

Is this where they just pull the ship onto the land?  and then scrap it...so sad they can not re-purpose...maybe homeless shelters!  or senior housing :)!

Ship breakers are only concerned with profits, not homeless, seniors, etc.  First they strip out anything of value for resale then the steel of the ship is chopped up into pieces and sold to steel makers.  When the breakers are done there is nothing at all left of a ship...🍸  RIP....

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think “ship recyclers” would be a more positive term...

Perhaps all those ships in the photo will arise again in the form of the new giga-liner “Phoenix of the Seas”.

Haha, "Shipbreakers" is an old and honored term in the maritime trades.  Most in the maritime trades are religiously politically incorrect.  I am proud to be part of such a group.  And as to the use of the "recycled" steel, more likely to turn up in refrigerators, washing machines, etc.  I have it on good authority that the upcoming Phoenix of the Seas is to be constructed entirely of recycled liquor bottles using a 3-D printer.....🍸

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just had this horrific vision of what all these ships could be recycled into.  Imagine if you will, a gigantic, many-level barge.  So big that it dwarfs the current mega-liners.  It could be used in a similar way as the private islands some lines own, but open to any ship.  This thing would be so big that a dozen or more mega-liners could dock with it.  It would contain sanitized versions of cultural and natural experiences from around the world.  Imagine the top deck hosting an entire safari park, complete with “the big five”, etc.  The deck below that could be a rain forest, the deck below that the Forbidden City, the deck below that a recreation of the Vegas Strip, and on and on....  Oh the humanity!  I need a drink.... or three.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, deec said:

Is this where they just pull the ship onto the land?  and then scrap it...so sad they can not re-purpose...maybe homeless shelters!  or senior housing :)!

I gather that ships are expensive to run and thus not a cost effective solution to affordable housing.

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all!   Came up for a cup of coffee and a waffle (no brown cheese please).   Join me if you’d like.  

I’ve decided that in addition to all the other issues we face because of Lady Corona’s visit (doesn’t she know a proper guest doesn’t stay this long) I am upset because these boards aren’t just active enough anymore.  

Back in the old days, I could keep my sanity Between cruises by living vicariously through other people’s cruises or relive my good memories by sharing tips and hints for folks headed to places we have visited.  Now, all we have is the occasional post about a refund (and even those have slowed to a trickle since most have been paid I presume).  

So instead of enjoying my time on CruiseCritic, I find myself obsessing over the upcoming election. Thank goodness I can at least volunteer to assist with that effort but it’s not exactly as fun or relaxing as obsessing over Viking’s newest itinerary! LOL

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

Morning Clay.  I am with you.  Basically, the only "social media" I use is CC.  I know, strange.  But not the strangest thing I have done.......  My coffee has a splash of Baileys.  Have to counteract too much fun at Torshavn last night.  Supposed to be a lovely calm day today.  😎

• Like 1