The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

13 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

What is the presumption here? That the ship is underway with bouancy changing as fuel is consumed and weight decreases.  Or that the ship is at anchor? The question doesn't include that data point. 

Re the man's widow question - that question is nonsensical. If a man has a widow it means he's dead and incapable of marrying anybody. 

The ship weighs anchor. 

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Time to exercise more than our elbows...

A boat has a metal ladder hanging down the side into the water, and its rungs are 1 foot apart. If the tide rises at 1 foot per hour and there are now FOUR rungs showing, when does the tide reach the top of the ladder?

Be nice. Don't rush to reply before other have gotten a change to read.

While I am at it, could some one please tell me if it is legal for a man to marry his widow's sister?

Is the boat also metal and if yes, do they have anodes/impressed current, otherwise the ladder may erode. 

Also is the boat afloat or aground?

Great brain teaser for first thing in the morning.😀

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Time to exercise more than our elbows...

A boat has a metal ladder hanging down the side into the water, and its rungs are 1 foot apart. If the tide rises at 1 foot per hour and there are now FOUR rungs showing, when does the tide reach the top of the ladder?

Be nice. Don't rush to reply before other have gotten a change to read.

While I am at it, could some one please tell me if it is legal for a man to marry his widow's sister?

Deleted duplicate reply

Edited by Heidi13

4 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

In fact I am running as fast as I can to get back to my safe, secure bar seat in the Explorer's Lounge.  Made it just before sailing.   That's worth a martini or three.....🍸

Typical sailor, after a brain teaser, back to bending the elbow.😁🥂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Typical sailor, after a brain teaser, back to bending the elbow.😁🥂

In my seafaring career, I noticed that the typical sailor would bend an elbow at every opportunity.  Not that opportunities popped up very often on cargo ships.  🍺

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2020 at 12:26 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Okay! Are you ready for the answer?

Let's hear your guesses first.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Okay! Are you ready for the answer?

Let's hear your guesses first.

Assuming the ladder is attached to the boat and it is floating, it will remain with the same number, as when the tide comes in the boat, unless its sprung a leak, will go up with the tide.

18 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Assuming the ladder is attached to the boat and it is floating, it will remain with the same number, as when the tide comes in the boat, unless its sprung a leak, will go up with the tide.

But did you calculate the Fresh Water Allowance???😎  And the Free Surface Effect?🍺  Enough to make one's head hurt.  Think I will pursue a beer....

Edited by Jim Avery

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

But did you calculate the Fresh Water Allowance???😎  And the Free Surface Effect?🍺  Enough to make one's head hurt.  Think I will pursue a beer....

FWA, yes a significant freshet could lower the SG causing an increase in draught. Isn't FSE when you create an ullage in the beer glass.😀

Sun is above the yardarm, so time for a Rye Porter😁🍺

58 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

FWA, yes a significant freshet could lower the SG causing an increase in draught. Isn't FSE when you create an ullage in the beer glass.😀

I so want to introduce you guys to my father! He is the only other person I know who can take a simple brain-teaser and turn it into an advanced lesson on some arcane point of science.

Ignore this green thing; it is left over from something I decided not to post and after 4 attempts to edit it out, I have not been able to change it. We are stuck with it.

image.png

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 8:02 PM, Heidi13 said:

Can anybody hear the sound of my palm striking my forehead?🙄

Edited by CharTrav

On 6/16/2020 at 9:19 AM, photopro2 said:

You are very welcome and I don't think anyone overheard what we were talking about. I do hope that no-one thought that it was us giggling on the sofa though - DW would not approve 😉 

sorry it took me so long to reply.  Went to the middle of nowhere Wyoming to visit my mother and dropped out of the virtual world 🌎 for awhile.  I'm sure no one thought two sophisticated people like us would giggle...........DW should have no worries.

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Happy virtual 4th July to all our US pax in the virtual lounge.😀🥂

I join you in that thought and here are some pictures from the pool brunch. I'm glad Clay & Mike found the hot dog section 😁

C-88.jpg

C-92.jpg

C-100.jpg

C-101.jpg

• Like 7