Azamara requiring letter/ form from physician...Bonnie.(merged)

midwestchick

10 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes the text is updated now, thanks - the form is still there so hopefully that link can also go soon.  Shame the email went out yesterday and not today!

I just looked on the Azamara UK web-site and although there is a statement that says the CLIA lifted the requirements for a doctor’s letter for over 70s, the FAQ still says At this time, the Fit to Travel form for guests 70 years of age and older continues to be part of the health screening and boarding protocol, which must be completed by your physician

Bonnie, maybe you can point this out to whoever updates the website.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I just looked on the Azamara UK web-site and although there is a statement that says the CLIA lifted the requirements for a doctor’s letter for over 70s, the FAQ still says At this time, the Fit to Travel form for guests 70 years of age and older continues to be part of the health screening and boarding protocol, which must be completed by your physician

Bonnie, maybe you can point this out to whoever updates the website.

Oh, good Lord.  I hope this is resolved very soon.  I have final payment coming up which has been moved up.  My early August cruise will not be happening.  That I’m almost sure of.

1 hour ago, blag said:

So, perhaps I'm not over-complicating it?

I think not.  I would say if there is any over complicating, it is on Azamara’s part. A friend, Deirdre has gone to Viking Oceans.  She was a very loyal Azamara cruiser.  In my opinion this is a game...we make final payment and the rules change once again.  What happens to our money?  It seems to me they are holding perks and free nights hostage.  As much as I love Azamara, I may have to walk away, as will others. Why did Larry Pimental suddenly leave? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

It is not just on the Azamara UK website.  It is still on my Azamara website as well.  This does not surprise me.  When CLIA lifted the restriction on April 3rd, all other cruise lines except Azamara and the other RCCL subsidiaries lifted them from their websites as well.  RCCL and Azamara apparently failed even to discover that CLIA had lifted the restriction until April 28th.  Therefore, given the glacial speed with which Azamara handles communications, it could be weeks before Azamara corrects the FAQ.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

I think not.  I would say if there is any over complicating, it is on Azamara’s part. A friend, Deirdre has gone to Viking Oceans.  She was a very loyal Azamara cruiser.  In my opinion this is a game...we make final payment and the rules change once again.  What happens to our money?  It seems to me they are holding perks and free nights hostage.  As much as I love Azamara, I may have to walk away, as will others. Why did Larry Pimental suddenly leave? 

A little story, if I may...

I was commissioned to make alterations to a hotel in central London. Usually meetings were held in my offices, but on the first occasion that the meeting was held at the hotel, as I passed the manager's office I noticed half-a-dozen boxes of small Sony TV's, and a similar number of remotes. 

On enquiry I was told they were replacement TV's for broken ones.

'So, why aren't they in the rooms?'

'The broken ones are in the rooms we use most frequently.' 

'Uhhh?' 

'Well, our guests remember us better if we fix a problem promptly, without fuss' 

While the wife's unpacking, hubby flicks on the TV to find it's not working, and phones reception or housekeeping' 

Within minutes, a new TV arrives in its box, unpacked, tested, old one whisked away. 

When they check, a broken TV replaces the new one, and the process starts again'

It's not the problem that matters to customers/clients it's how you fix it

Azamara don't seem to be doing a particularly good job of that, and it doesn't appear to make good business sense.

2 hours ago, blag said:

I am just wondering why RCL and Azamara don't just say "From today we no longer require over-70's to provide health form signed by.... "? 

This question is not unique to RCL and Azamara.  It could be asked of all the other CLIA cruise lines which removed from their websites any reference to required medical letters for over-70s in early April.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelordie said:

This question is not unique to RCL and Azamara.  It could be asked of all the other CLIA cruise lines which removed from their websites any reference to required medical letters for over-70s in early April.

Absolutely correct.  

There is nothing complicated about the statement that needs worrying about - this is a constantly changing situation - you have two sets of rules, one, that countries and ports will impose over which no one has any control of and the ones that travel providers impose (and this goes far beyond cruise lines).  Viking took a different approach at the height of the pandemic, there is no guarantee they will not be any different than their competitors when this all settles down.  

Any new imposition of rules post booking should be a matter for your insurers if the cruise line will not look after you.  That is why for bookings I have paid for or am paying for shortly with travel providers I am relaxed about and paying even though they might not happen and not stressing over minor interpretations of wordings.  For my insurers it is the conditions at the time of bookings that matter.

In the scale of what many are facing today this is a first world problem and we all need to step back and recognise that.

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, travelordie said:

It is not just on the Azamara UK website.  It is still on my Azamara website as well.  This does not surprise me.  When CLIA lifted the restriction on April 3rd, all other cruise lines except Azamara and the other RCCL subsidiaries lifted them from their websites as well.  RCCL and Azamara apparently failed even to discover that CLIA had lifted the restriction until April 28th.  Therefore, given the glacial speed with which Azamara handles communications, it could be weeks before Azamara corrects the FAQ.

Just had another look and the FAQ about the letter has now disappeared from the Global Cruising Suspension Extension page on the UK website including when you click on it through My Account 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrbluesea said:

Just as a matter of interest how can anyone contemplate paying for a future cruise with the current uk foreign office advice:

the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel

8 minutes ago, mrbluesea said:

Just as a matter of interest how can anyone contemplate paying for a future cruise with the current uk foreign office advice:

the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel

1. I assume that this is not unique to British nationals.  I also assume that these advisories will be lifted at some point and that those of us who cruise will want to secure the stateroom and itinerary of our choice.  I attempted to sign up this morning for a May 2022 cruise on the Oceania Insignia and discovered that all staterooms were already sold out.  If we were to wait for the travel advisory to be lifted, we risk having vert few choices.

Official Global Travel Advisory

Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice.

As foreign governments implement strict travel restrictions and as fewer international transportation options are available, you may have difficulty returning to Canada or may have to remain abroad for an indeterminate period.

4 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Just had another look and the FAQ about the letter has now disappeared from the Global Cruising Suspension Extension page on the UK website including when you click on it through My Account 

And gone from the North American website as well.  Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, blag said:

But the ambiguous wording remains? 

The wording is not ambiguous - it is a perfectly valid caveat.  They have to say it could be reimplemented because thats the reality - just as borders can be opened closed etc etc 

In terms of the question of how can you consider a holiday against FCO advice the position I am in relates to paying for an existing booking that will take place later this year (September and November).  I am therefore covered by my own insurance should I pay the balance (booked before the FCO position) but that guidance is not lifted so I could not go.  If the guidance is lifted I can still make the journey should I wish to.

It is correct based on current FCO advice to book a new holiday would not be covered by my insurers.

Edited by uktog

5 minutes ago, uktog said:

The wording is not ambiguous - it is a perfectly valid caveat.  They have to say it could be reimplemented because thats the reality - just as borders can be opened closed etc etc 

In terms of the question of how can you consider a holiday against FCO advice the position I am in relates to paying for an existing booking that will take place later this year (September and November).  I am therefore covered by my own insurance should I pay the balance (booked before the FCO position) but that guidance is not lifted so I could not go.  If the guidance is lifted I can still make the journey should I wish to.

It is correct based on current FCO advice to book a new holiday would not be covered by my insurers.

Duhhh. Silly me. Of course the wording is unambiguous. It states clearly that Azamara are not requiring the Fitness to Travel Form. It's there in black and white. What was I thinking?

With regard to your personal future travel dilemma, I feel confident that you will follow your own advice. 

38 minutes ago, Bigdogwon said:

I read an interview with Vicky Freed SVP Sales for RCI companies that they will no longer require the letter from your GP for 70 +.

So this is a bit of good news!

It's not required....as of now....but as it's a fluid situation who knows what, if anything, could be required once ships start to sail again. I'm glad it was removed but also see it as a good PR move by RCC as now people may be likely to take an FCC and not ask for a refund....especially if they've over 70.  And why, if it was removed by CLIA on Apr 3, didn't RCC brands know about it until yesterday??

I noticed at the end of the Cruise Critic article about this CLIA removal:

"Cruise Critic reached out to CLIA for comment but has not yet heard back."

Do you suppose that RCL was having trouble getting clarification from CLIA too?  After all, if they published something that was unambiguous but turned out to be wrong, oh my... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I noticed at the end of the Cruise Critic article about this CLIA removal:

"Cruise Critic reached out to CLIA for comment but has not yet heard back."

Do you suppose that RCL was having trouble getting clarification from CLIA too?  After all, if they published something that was unambiguous but turned out to be wrong, oh my... 

I think you're being generous in your assessment. Other cruise lines didn't seem to have a problem removing the requirement for a Dr's letter much earlier than RCC did. 

4 hours ago, blag said:

Duhhh. Silly me. Of course the wording is unambiguous. It states clearly that Azamara are not requiring the Fitness to Travel Form. It's there in black and white. What was I thinking?

With regard to your personal future travel dilemma, I feel confident that you will follow your own advice. 

Well that's all we can do really, isn't it?  Sometimes it's the best option to relying on armchair experts who pop up on an anonymous cruise forum. 

Phil 

15 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Well that's all we can do really, isn't it?  Sometimes it's the best option to relying on armchair experts who pop up on an anonymous cruise forum. 

Phil 

Yes, we upstarts know nothing.

British Air just cancelled our $8000 air fare to stockholm (2 in first class) and got our money back  but Aazamar has not cancelled the June 18 cruise Baltic Intensive so no money back.  How are we supposed to get there from Los Angeles.  Time to go on LA TV and let them know how Azamara is treating their customers.

1 hour ago, lasvegaswinner1 said:

British Air just cancelled our $8000 air fare to stockholm (2 in first class) and got our money back  but Aazamar has not cancelled the June 18 cruise Baltic Intensive so no money back.  How are we supposed to get there from Los Angeles.  Time to go on LA TV and let them know how Azamara is treating their customers.

Or you could just be patient and wait for Azamara to cancel it and refund your money.  They have cancelled through June 11, so the next round should include your cruise.  If the airlines aren't flying, they can't sail.  [The CCL and NCL groups have both already cancelled until July 1.  For some reason RCL is keeping June 12 – but this is clearly impossible in most of the world.]

There are many threads on various cruise line boards about people jumping the gun to cancel on their own and then not getting the better deal that the cruise line offered when they cancelled the cruise.  I know it's hard, but what have you got to lose at this point?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Or you could just be patient and wait for Azamara to cancel it and refund your money.  They have cancelled through June 11, so the next round should include your cruise.  If the airlines aren't flying, they can't sail.  [The CCL and NCL groups have both already cancelled until July 1.  For some reason RCL is keeping June 12 – but this is clearly impossible in most of the world.]

There are many threads on various cruise line boards about people jumping the gun to cancel on their own and then not getting the better deal that the cruise line offered when they cancelled the cruise.  I know it's hard, but what have you got to lose at this point?

I don’t want them to tie up my money only to put their ridiculous restrictions back on people over 70.  They won’t be doing the Baltics in August either.  I wish they would just cancel and get it over with.  My extended final payment is coming up.  I’m trying to keep my free nights, as are others.  But some people have already canceled.  Loyalty club has not been customer friendly. 

Royal Caribbean hasn't released its new health requirements publicly yet. A Royal Caribbean spokesperson told Cruise Critic that it is developing additional safety enhancements in conjunction with government health authorities at the CDC, CLIA, and the company's own team of medical experts. While further details were not provided, Royal Caribbean committed to informing passengers of these as soon as possible.

The quote above is via an email from Cruise Critic. Here's the link: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5322/?et_cid=3328953&et_rid=235799168&et_referrer=Boards - CC-UK

10 hours ago, lasvegaswinner1 said:

As I and others have said a few times here, people need to be patient. We are in the midst of a huge crisis for the travel industry. Different companies deal with things in a different way. BA has no tie up with Azamara so how would Azamara know you can't get to Sweden from LA?  If you can afford first class airfare (which you've been refunded) then I'm sure you can afford to wait longer for Azamara to cancel the cruise (which is only a matter of time). 

As far as going on TV is concerned?  With all that is going on right now they'd be really desperate to run that story and not at all newsworthy if they did. 

Honestly, I sometimes think some live in a parallel universe. 

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1