Port of Seattle Suspends Alaska cruise season indefinitely

jimmieg

Wow, what a mess for the cruise lines and all those folks who depend on the Alaska cruise season.

That leaves Los Angeles and San Francisco as potential departure points although they could close too.

Assuming they figure out some kind of service call to a foreign port as well.

5 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Wow, what a mess for the cruise lines and all those folks who depend on the Alaska cruise season.

That leaves Los Angeles and San Francisco as potential departure points although they could close too.

I have relatives in two of the ports.  They are just as happy not only to not have cruise ships come until the outbreak is over, but do not want the flood of seasonal workers that come in just for cruise season until this is over.

• Like 3

Given what is happening no surprise that Seattle has closed their port.  The AK summer season is in doubt as to when it will start and even if it will start.  Hoping for the best but braced for the worst this year. 

1 hour ago, jimmieg said:

What the article leaves out, is that evidence of the virus was found before any cleaning and disinfecting had been done to those surfaces.

Also, the study that reported the evidence of the virus indicated that it was not determined to be in a state that would be infectious.

Unless shown otherwise, I would assume that the cleaning/disinfecting procedures that are becoming common in the travel industry due to the virus would make cruise ships safe for passengers and crew as far as the virus is concerned.

Of course determining if a new crew member or passenger is harboring the virus is another problem. With many who are positive but not showing any symptoms and others who have been recently infected but not yet at the point they might display symptoms, it is impossible to tell if anyplace you go that others have been is safe. Not a cruise ship, not an airplane, not a bus, not an Uber vehicle, not a grocery store. Not anywhere.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

There are more cases in California, mostly concentrated in the LA and SF areas, than in Washington now.   

We learned from the Governor of California that the shelter in place order may last for 10-12 weeks, so I doubt those ports are viable alternatives.  I think the absolute earliest that the Alaska season will start up from any of these ports will be In July, after Canada lifts their ban for cruiseships into their ports...that is, even if they lift it this year.   

Looks like Princess has a whole new round of cruises to cancel now.  All RCCL brands already suspended their Alaska sailings through June.  

• Like 1

Not surprised by this at all. If this virus hit Alaska from cruise passengers, the region would be devastated. We think our health care system is overwhelmed...I can't even imagine how the small Alaska towns could cope!

47 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Not surprised by this at all. If this virus hit Alaska from cruise passengers, the region would be devastated. We think our health care system is overwhelmed...I can't even imagine how the small Alaska towns could cope!

Many small AK towns end up sending their critical care patients to Seattle already. My DW treats them at University of Washington Medical Center. They have a full house now from local cases.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caribill said:

What the article leaves out, is that evidence of the virus was found before any cleaning and disinfecting had been done to those surfaces.

Also, the study that reported the evidence of the virus indicated that it was not determined to be in a state that would be infectious.

Unless shown otherwise, I would assume that the cleaning/disinfecting procedures that are becoming common in the travel industry due to the virus would make cruise ships safe for passengers and crew as far as the virus is concerned.

Of course determining if a new crew member or passenger is harboring the virus is another problem. With many who are positive but not showing any symptoms and others who have been recently infected but not yet at the point they might display symptoms, it is impossible to tell if anyplace you go that others have been is safe. Not a cruise ship, not an airplane, not a bus, not an Uber vehicle, not a grocery store. Not anywhere.

Caribill- 

To the folks that dis cruise ships as "floating Petri dishes," I can only say that has not been my experience in 45 cruises. Constant cleaning of cabins and public areas that would put schools, hotels, office buildings, etc of similar size to shame.  I was sick once for 2 days, my wife the same on a different cruise.  Not a bad record.

But, you're correct- it's not the structure, it's the people.  Can't make people who touch common surfaces to wash hands before leaving restroom - although I've made an attempt on a couple of occasions.  Seen the same in offices as well.☹️

Edited by jimmieg
Spelling
  • Like 2

It's sad to see all the cancellations, however Seattle putting this out there now probably is better than waiting a while and having the news be last minute.  Princess and other lines can decide (especially where ships aren't already on the West Coast) to re-position the ships where there is more certainty they can sail with paying passengers.  Of course the Caribbean ports aren't guaranteed to remain open either. It's going to be a tough several month for the cruising industry. 

• Like 2

My first thought is for all the seasonal workers this will affect. DH and I were in Alaska three years ago.  I have many happy memories of cheerful bus drivers, tour guides, wait staff, hotel staff, and all those Princess  behind the scene “ organizers” who made up and handed out those white envelopes containing our daily itinerary.   I am sure this will have a big financial impact.  God Bless

24 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I think Hawaii cruises leave from Vancouver

That seems like how many go, but I think they can also stop in either Mexico or Canada as a port of call on the way to/fr Hawaii.  Guess either way those cruises wouldn't be possible unless long RT cruises...which sounds like a fun getaway right about now.

40 minutes ago, rhblake said:

Are there any other places you can sail to from Seattle, other than Alaska? Can you do west coast or Hawaii?

Port of Seattle for the foreseeable future does not want cruise ships coming or going from anywhere here.

Also Hawaii has no interest in them either for the time being.

Edited by nooptere

1 minute ago, nooptere said:

Port of Seattle for the foreseeable future does not want cruise ship coming or going from anywhere here.

I think that can be extrapolated to "No Vacancy" sign is out to visitors.  Think the same holds true for other areas of the country, but since they don't have huge cruise ports it isn't making the news.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nooptere said:

Many small AK towns end up sending their critical care patients to Seattle already.

Exactly.  Why would any alaskan port / city welcome a large number of visitors?

It could just wipe out the town.

Normally, there is some kind of 'mutual aid', so when a serious problem occurs in one place,

folks from other places can jump in and help.

With corona-virus, there are no folks from other places who are not already flat out in

their local geography.

Two days ago, the Port of Seattle said they expect to delay the start of the 2020 Cruise Season.  The Port of Seattle will operate as soon as possible.  The "Port of Seattle also stated "The start of the cruise season will depend on he status of the public health emergency and the advise of local, state and public health officials."

My guess the cruise season will start July 1st.  

Edited by cheone
spelling
  • Like 1

This doesn't really change anything much. With the Canada cruise ban until the end of June, no Alaska cruises were going to happen anyway given the need to stop at a foreign port. This just means one more jurisdiction will have to lift their cruise ban before they can resume there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

This doesn't really change anything much. With the Canada cruise ban until the end of June, no Alaska cruises were going to happen anyway given the need to stop at a foreign port. This just means one more jurisdiction will have to lift their cruise ban before they can resume there.

I'm not predicting this, but I can see where the US could suspend the requirement to stop at a foreign port and allow cruises to nowhere or even cruises up and down each coast as a boost to the cruise industry.  They're supposed to be cutting all kinds of red tape for other industries.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I'm not predicting this, but I can see where the US could suspend the requirement to stop at a foreign port and allow cruises to nowhere or even cruises up and down each coast as a boost to the cruise industry.  They're supposed to be cutting all kinds of red tape for other industries.

I totally agree!  The law that requires a foreign port is very old and could use a fresh set of eyes...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I totally agree!  The law that requires a foreign port is very old and could use a fresh set of eyes...

The law was written before the cruise industry existed. It applies to ferries within the USA as well as passenger vessels on USA rivers.

Any attempt to change the law to exclude cruise ships would open up the entire act to debate and thus is very unlikely.

The act (or some clone) is also why you cannot take an Air Canada non-stop flight from LAX to JFK, but must go through Toronto or another Canadian airport.