Americans, how long until you received your refund?

sbd78

Hello, we are Americans who were booked on the May 30th sailing of the Seaside. Because I think it's highly unlikely cruising will be back that soon, I decided to cancel. I was still in the window where I could get a cash refund and lose my $200 deposit, so that's what I decided to do. I wanted to make sure I got a cash refund and not a FCC, so that's why I decided to go this route. It's been over a week, and the refund hasn't come through yet. Other Americans that have cancelled, how long until you received your refund? I'm sure MSC is backed up in processing refunds, but I can't help but be nervous and I won't relax until it comes through. TIA!

Edited by sbd78

I was told 10-14 business days.  I wont even be checking for my cruise canceled 10 days ago until 4/6.  I was given a reference number in case there were issues...which I had never been given before so I am wondering if they are expecting issues.

This is my story to date: I submitted the form on-line for the 125% FCC about March 13. Until today the two cruises I had booked for late March/April were still showing as Confirmed.  When I signed in just now both of those cruises have disappeared from My Profile but I have not yet received the 125% FCC form/credit. Perhaps tomorrow, I sure hope so, as most of the time making a phone call does not do any good.

CelebrationFamily, I think I have just figured out why our cruises have disappeared off Profile - it could be because it is past the date of the cruise and has nothing to do with our FCC request - I suspect a phone call will do no good - will wait it out a little longer - would be glad to hear if you have any updates. 

• Like 1

We all have enough on our plates these days...I've decided to forgo the frustration of a phone call and wait a little longer for an email with my FCC. Surely MSC will do the "right thing" eventually. 😳 Good luck to all...and let's continue to post when we get notice! Stay well!

I'm Canadian. Just cancel May 24 on Prezoisa...

"Your MSC Direct All Cancelled Sailings Form has been successfully submitted.
Your 125% Future Cruise Certificate Reference Number for this request is - 878785558
Use this Reference Number for all future correspondence regarding this request.
As we work to update our systems of your election into our Cruise Assurance program, please disregard any auto-generated email communication regarding your original booking.
Please note that your MSC Future Cruise Certificate will be emailed to you within 60 days. Once a new cruise departure date is selected,the Future Cruise Certificate can be presented to your travel advisor for redemptionThank you,"

I requested  a refund 3/14 for my 3/29 cruise. I have spoken to numerous departments at MSC. I found out that due to a computer glitch a lot of refund requests were reverted to FCC in error. Mine was, even though I have a reference # for a refund. I have also not received refunds on my prepaid items (Cirque du Soleil Tickets) except for one $18.00 ticket.I have all emails stating items will be refunded( the one I got was refunded within 24 hours of request) .I know they are crazy busy, but I have been told 5 different reasons for the hold up.This issue was escalated and I was told because of the computer glitch, all my refunds had to be submitted manually and that could take up to 60 days.I love MSC (5 cruises with them)and more than likely Cruise again with them however, There are other lines I cruise on and with my husbands' current health issues, don't want to make any future travel plans , and would really like to have my refunds.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cancelled 3/2 for a 6/20 cruise for which I had paid in full.  I was told 2 billing cycles.  At 7 weeks I called and my TA told me 10 more days.  I have yet to hear of anyone (except one person who posted and then never followed up when others asked questions) who has received a refund on MSC, whether cancelled within time frame, or they cancelled.  I want my $4300 so I can book a cruise for next year, as prices continue to go up.  I am afraid that MSC is playing a shell game and I will never receive my money.  

On 3/27/2020 at 12:01 AM, neptuno said:

Well, MSC has a mixed record on refunds.  Once it took them three months to refund my deposit, and then only after I lodged a dispute with the credit card company.

Neptuno it looks like you are the only one to get a refund so far, and we may have to go the same route as you of filing a chargeback dispute with our credit card company.  Nice to see it worked.  Someone posted that vendors hate chargebacks b/c it can result in worse interest rates for them and some other black marks, can't recall.  TabbyKats you also posted that you started your cc dispute.  Would you both report which cc you are using, and what paperwork they requested in order to start the process, thx.

5 minutes ago, Bob7 said:

Neptuno it looks like you are the only one to get a refund so far, and we may have to go the same route as you of filing a chargeback dispute with our credit card company.  Nice to see it worked.  Someone posted that vendors hate chargebacks b/c it can result in worse interest rates for them and some other black marks, can't recall.  TabbyKats you also posted that you started your cc dispute.  Would you both report which cc you are using, and what paperwork they requested in order to start the process, thx.

@Bob7 unless I misread the statement, I believe that Neptuno received a refund for a past sailing (not a corona cancelled sailing). I am unaware of anyone seeing a Corona cash Refund yet. I was certainly one of the very first to request a cash refund (3/14). I don't believe they were offering them much before that. I'm still waiting.  If I'm wrong, I hope Neptuno corrects me.

• Like 1

@BermudaBound2014

Hello,

we were booked on MSC Bellissima repositioning cruise from Dubai to Yokohama (03-21-2020 to 04-19-2020). 

The itinerary changed two times and we received the offer to cancel with full cash refund on 02-19-2020.  After another itinerary change we cancelled on 03-05-2020, just days before MSC cancelled the entire cruise.

MSC refunded the pre-paid items the day following our cancellation.

The cruise fare was partially refunded to our credit card ($3,500) , the balance of almost $10,000 was marked “penalty”. 

I called MSC and was told that the balance need to be authorized by management and that the person responsible is overwhelmed with work but the refund should take up to 14 business days. Needless to say.. no refund after 14 days. I called again , only to get the information that refunds now take 90 days and I have to wait until 05-05-2020 .

I am kind of frustrated with MSC holding my money for 90 days after changing their refund policy.

We have three upcoming cruises booked with MSC including two Grand Voyages but I am not sure today if I will be loyal... all depends on the outcome of the refund.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Bob7 unless I misread the statement, I believe that Neptuno received a refund for a past sailing (not a corona cancelled sailing). I am unaware of anyone seeing a Corona cash Refund yet. I was certainly one of the very first to request a cash refund (3/14). I don't believe they were offering them much before that. I'm still waiting.  If I'm wrong, I hope Neptuno corrects me.

You are correct, not a Corona cancellation.  I received a relatively prompt refund from MSC for a cancelled reservation on Divina before the virus issues.  Having said that, there was no email confirmation from MSC.  I had to copy every email address I had, including Voyagers Club.  And then even, no confirmation of my cancellation.  Just a refund about two weeks later.

• Thanks 1

Right, so no refunds reported as received by anyone after the virus hit.

It looks like we are 3 separate groups looking for refunds:

1. those who cancelled before final payment (for any reason) and want their deposit refunded, as per the regular cancellation policy ( I started a thread for these)

2. those who had a cruise booked which MSC cancelled, and want a refund

3. those who booked a cruise which MSC has not yet cancelled, and want a refund b/c of the virus/travel restrictions.

I expect the credit card would be ready to help with a chargeback for 1 and 2, b/c #1 fits the policy rules, and #2 is a service not provided. The card would likely not help with #3 b/c the service could still be provided. So for 1 and 2 the next question is how long would the card allow MSC to delay the refund before threatening a chargeback.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob7 said:

1. those who cancelled before final payment (for any reason) and want their deposit refunded, as per the regular cancellation policy ( I started a thread for these)

3. those who booked a cruise which MSC has not yet cancelled, and want a refund b/c of the virus/travel restrictions.

I expect the credit card would be ready to help with a chargeback for 1 and 2, b/c #1 fits the policy rules, and #2 is a service not provided. The card would likely not help with #3 b/c the service could still be provided. So for 1 and 2 the next question is how long would the card allow MSC to delay the refund before threatening a chargeback.

Do I still have time to dispute this with my credit card? I purchased the cruise back on February 2019. and cancelled it in March 2020, 13 months after.  

Thanks in advance,

2 hours ago, Bob7 said:

I think this is a great start, but feel that those who want FCC and those who want a cash refund are separate groups. Reminder, this applies only to th0se from the USA.. May I add a #4?

1. those who cancelled before final payment (for any reason) and want their CASH deposit refunded, as per the regular cancellation policy ( I started a thread for these)

2. those who had a cruise booked which MSC cancelled, and want a CASH refund

3. those who booked a cruise which MSC has not yet cancelled, and want a CASH refund b/c of the virus/travel restrictions.

4, Those who had a cruise booked which MSC cancelled and want a FCC for the cruise portion and CASH for the taxes/online purchases/etc....

I believe no one has received any cash back at all. MSC said 60 days from cancellation. I cancelled March 14 so I should 'technically' have my money by June 14. I'm not counting on that. I'll give them until July 14 before filing a depute charge against my CC.

@MANDMTRAVEL it is not too late to dispute assuming the product you purchased was no longer offered (ie, MSC cancelled the cruise, not you)