Email from Celebrity

jmdlv1

Just opened an email from Celebrity .

It confirms they are extending the suspension of cruises for an additional 30 days.

Crews are being sent home or can stay on ship with if they have no place to go.

Here's a problem.  I want to cancel and get a refund.  My roommate wants to rebook for next year.  Celebrity says we have to agree on how we do this.  

I don't want to end a friendship over this.  We paid seperately.

11 minutes ago, cahts said:

Here's a problem.  I want to cancel and get a refund.  My roommate wants to rebook for next year.  Celebrity says we have to agree on how we do this.  

BUT the price was for 2 sharing a room, so I see their thinking. If you had booked as singles, the price would have been double.

1 hour ago, cahts said:

What is the reason you think it is a problem?

You have decided what you want to do and your friend has decided what they want to do.

Take the refund and let your friend book on their own for next year... problem solved, but maybe not for the friendship, which is more important to you, the refund or friendship? Apparently you have to pick one...

Good luck and bon voyage

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

What is the reason you think it is a problem?

You have decided what you want to do and your friend has decided what they want to do.

Take the refund and let your friend book on their own for next year... problem solved, but maybe not for the friendship, which is more important to you, the refund or friendship? Apparently you have to pick one...

Good luck and bon voyage

I read it as Celebrity is not giving them that option--they must pick either a refund or the FCC.

ETA:  Unless you mean that the poster should force the friend to take the refund, and then she can book on her own, possibly endangering the friendship.

Edited by hiccups

@cahts, it seems that there is no solution that will give you both what you want. If neither of you is willing to give in and you both value your friendship more than the future cruise/refund, agree to flip a coin or choose some other method to settle the issue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cahts said:

Could one roommate "buy out" the other and take the entire refund/FCC?

• Thanks 1

Good afternoon from Barcelona.

In my humble opinion friendship is much more valuable than any monetary aspect, I believe that by dialoguing between the two of you, you can solve the problem in a favorable way for both of you.

Greetings.

Edu.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Johnamac123 said:

Could one roommate "buy out" the other and take the entire refund/FCC?

FCC's are issued in the individual names of the people on the booking and are non-transferable. If they take refunds, there's nothing to buy out.

Please remember that if the FCC is taken, the only way it can be used is for a future cruise and that it MUST be the same person as the credit was issues to.  The FCC is not transferable.  The issue of the refund is that it is only for 100% of the cost and the FCC is 125%.  

Either way, I don't think these folks will be cruising together in the short term.  The refund id the way to go IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hiccups said:

I read it as Celebrity is not giving them that option--they must pick either a refund or the FCC.

ETA:  Unless you mean that the poster should force the friend to take the refund, and then she can book on her own, possibly endangering the friendship.

@hiccups Your ETA: is what I meant exactly as it does appear to be a 'no win' situation either way.

bon voyage

7 minutes ago, cahts said:

Thank you everyone for your input.  I think Celebrity should allow her to buy into a private room and give me a refund .

Not going to happen.  You know what your 2 choices are.  You two are going to need to work it out.

If you are not going to cruise and  want the  refund... the fcc makes no sense even with a 25% bonus..

The 25% bonus was not part of the original fare & who knows how useful that might be anyhow. Looks like this issue needs to be solved by  you and your friend..not X.

How long til you must decide?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cahts said:

Thank you everyone for your input.  I think Celebrity should allow her to buy into a private room and give me a refund .

X will do that by taking the refund, you get the cash and your friend has cash to purchase a private room.

As a will of 'Good Gesture' give your friend 12.50% of the value of the FCC, you have bought your way out of it.

Solved.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

This is one example of how Celebrity (and probably other cruise lines) does not know how to deal with singles or friends traveling together.  If you share cabins, they only really recognize one person.  Three of us booked a Penthouse Suite, and all of the communication goes to one person.  If one person in the suite wants to take the cruise line insurance, all three of us must take it.  It's easier to not share a cabin.  But, of course, more expensive.

Carolyn

On 3/27/2020 at 10:07 AM, cahts said:

My advice - call Celebrity again.  You often get different answers from different service reps.  Worth a try.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 12:53 PM, Fouremco said:

@cahts, it seems that there is no solution that will give you both what you want. If neither of you is willing to give in and you both value your friendship more than the future cruise/refund, agree to flip a coin or choose some other method to settle the issue.

Take the FCC and tell your friend to pay you back your part of the money.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 10:29 AM, hiccups said:

That is in fact true.   I cancelled one cruise similar and requested the Full Refund.   It clearly said all passengers on the reservation would be treated the same.   Choice was FCC with 125% Credit or Refund of 100%.  

As I read the OP she wants the 125% FCC and her friend wants the cash back 100%.   I can't personally see breaking up a friendship over so little money. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2020 at 7:21 AM, Bo1953 said:

X will do that by taking the refund, you get the cash and your friend has cash to purchase a private room.

As a will of 'Good Gesture' give your friend 12.50% of the value of the FCC, you have bought your way out of it.

Solved.

bon voyage

Probably the best solution