Celebrity Eclipse exposed passengers to Covid19

FOXTROT

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Interesting coming from a MD but it really adds no new perspective to this discussion unfortunately.

Regrettably, the same could be said for the vast majority of posts over the past number of days.  

I for one would like to see this thread remain open for the express purpose of advancing the story of the post-cruise disposition of passengers of the Eclipse.

I don't do the other site (the one with a nose and eyes) so I look forward to summaries from that site posted here, as well as other first-hand accounts of post-cruise Covid-19 effects on us passengers .

But I agree that what transpired on the Eclipse from March 1 to March 30, the decisions that were made, etc., have been adequately discussed here and there's not much more to say in advancing that part of the story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For your info our acquaintance has taken a turn for the worse. He is now in renal failure and has started dyalisis. Despite the outpouring of volunteers for plasma no one has matched. A donor is coming tomorrow from Jacksonville and they are hoping for the best. His wife has been discharged from the hospital and is alone at home in stable condition.  The other two remain fairly well recuperating at home . Please keep them and all others infected in your thoughts and prayers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chuly said:

For your info our acquaintance has taken a turn for the worse. He is now in renal failure and has started dyalisis. Despite the outpouring of volunteers for plasma no one has matched. A donor is coming tomorrow from Jacksonville and they are hoping for the best. His wife has been discharged from the hospital and is alone at home in stable condition.  The other two remain fairly well recuperating at home . Please keep them and all others infected in your thoughts and prayers.

Sad to hear this news...we will remember all of them in our prayers. 

Miracles happen every day....

• Like 1

Good luck to the passenger that took the turn for the worse. Last count I saw 100 confirmed cases. Yes you can officially add my wife & myself. My wife has been hospitalized since Monday. She has started to respond favorably to treated & hopefully will be released tomorrow.

Capt. Leo said Celebrity cared about health & safety as #1. I wish they had practiced what they preached. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My sympathies to all of those who contracted the virus, this year, either on or off a cruise ship, and I wish all of you a speedy recovery.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I think it's probably unfair to blame Celebrity for potentially exposing anyone to Covid-19 who was on this sailing or for that matter any other sailing that departed in February or March.   Unknown to everyone at the time, there were likely many people from the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area on almost all cruise sailings and many of those people have already been exposed to the virus. Also unknown was that many people could be sick with little to no symptoms.  It is likely that all of us were exposed on every Celebrity sailing that departed in February or March.  Unfortunately, this sailing departed later and was denied entry by Chile.  The additional time caused by the delays in Chile and the sailing to San Diego allowed more time for the virus to spread onboard and affect more people.  At the time, the guidance was that if you didn't have a fever or other symptoms, you weren't likely to spread the virus and were allowed to travel by the US authorities.   That guidance has since been changed.

I'm not a cheerleader for Celebrity, but in this case I think they did the best they could with the information.   Remember that unless you are living in a hotspot, testing of people with flu-like symptoms only shows a small percentage of the people have the virus, they just had the flu.  Given the knowledge that was available at the time, it sounds like Celebrity's medical staff acted appropriately.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, FOXTROT said:

Good luck to the passenger that took the turn for the worse. Last count I saw 100 confirmed cases. Yes you can officially add my wife & myself. My wife has been hospitalized since Monday. She has started to respond favorably to treated & hopefully will be released tomorrow.

Capt. Leo said Celebrity cared about health & safety as #1. I wish they had practiced what they preached. 

Wishing only the best for you and your wife.  Please keep us updated.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

My sympathies to all of those who contracted the virus, this year, either on or off a cruise ship, and I wish all of you a speedy recovery.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I think it's probably unfair to blame Celebrity for potentially exposing anyone to Covid-19 who was on this sailing or for that matter any other sailing that departed in February or March.   Unknown to everyone at the time, there were likely many people from the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area on almost all cruise sailings and many of those people have already been exposed to the virus. Also unknown was that many people could be sick with little to no symptoms.  It is likely that all of us were exposed on every Celebrity sailing that departed in February or March.  Unfortunately, this sailing departed later and was denied entry by Chile.  The additional time caused by the delays in Chile and the sailing to San Diego allowed more time for the virus to spread onboard and affect more people.  At the time, the guidance was that if you didn't have a fever or other symptoms, you weren't likely to spread the virus and were allowed to travel by the US authorities.   That guidance has since been changed.

I'm not a cheerleader for Celebrity, but in this case I think they did the best they could with the information.   Remember that unless you are living in a hotspot, testing of people with flu-like symptoms only shows a small percentage of the people have the virus, they just had the flu.  Given the knowledge that was available at the time, it sounds like Celebrity's medical staff acted appropriately.

Can tell you were not on this sailing. Celebrity completely dropped the ball medically. They didn't use the knowledge available at the time. They turned their backs on the simple things that are used on ships with Norovirus (piece of cake compared to Covid). With the Captain lying to passengers at least twice every day. Have said the same things since March 31. 

• Like 1

I was on the sailing and agree that Celebrity was doing all it could.  They also didn’t lie to us twice a day as they stopped talking about no illness on board about the 25th.  It was so noticeably absent that we talked about it.

We will never know why they didn’t consider that illnesses might be COVID-19, but the fact that no one wore protective equipment and Captain Leo was there to see us off shows it wasn’t on their radar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm so sorry for everyone who was exposed and has become ill. May you all recover soon. 

Exactly one year ago today we left Vancouver on Eclipse for an 11 night cruise to Hawaii and two years ago on the 15th we began an Eclipse 15 night TA.

We were on Grand Princess in September and  it was difficult to watch both ships come in knowing what was happening on board.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

Some people started their cruise on February 14.  Others arrived in BA several days before our March 1 cruise.  At that point there was 1 case in South America and few known cases outside Asia.  No one from the effected areas was allowed on the ship.  It is easy to look back and say we should have known, but not much was known about the virus in February.  For example, it wasn’t known that many of the cases were asymptomatic. Hindsight is always 20/20.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I would think that if Celebrity is operating in a region not including the US it will be required to follow the rules in that region, and the CDC has nothing to say about it. If for instance the ship is operating in Australia and New Zealand then the rules for those 2 nations are the rules and the US CDC can just whistle.

A good example is the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program which, inter alia, compels cruise lines to report on cases of norovirus. To fall under the jurisdiction of the VSP, a cruise ship must have "a foreign itinerary with U.S. ports". So Caribbean, Alaskan and other North America-based cruises are subject to this and other CDC programs, but elsewhere around the globe, the CDC has no extraterritorial powers.

• Thanks 1

If we had flown home on March 15 as scheduled.  There would have been no COVID-19 on board.

Before the cruise left on March 1, I was aware that COVID-19 was on the horizon. It wasn’t a big issue in the US, except for Seattle. It wasn’t an issue at all in South America.  It is because of Chile closing their port that we are talking about the illness on board. That was something none of us could have forseen in late February.

11 minutes ago, Va man said:

If we had flown home on March 15 as scheduled.  There would have been no COVID-19 on board.

Before the cruise left on March 1, I was aware that COVID-19 was on the horizon. It wasn’t a big issue in the US, except for Seattle. It wasn’t an issue at all in South America.  It is because of Chile closing their port that we are talking about the illness on board. That was something none of us could have forseen in late February.

Not to be contradictory because I think we have been on the same page all along, me as an observer and you as someone on board. I think there still would have been the issue in that there would have been a passenger exchange with some disembarking in San Antonio and some embarking there and others on a B2B carrying on their way to San Diego. Or was the ship to cancel operations in San Antonio? That is a proper question because I don't know and I'm not being sarcastic.

Edited by Blackduck59
bad grammar

Latest update on our acquaintances that were on this sailing. One of them   remains on a ventilator and slowly being weaned after receiving plasma.Hiswife has been  released from the hospital. The other two have had to.  Be hospitalized but are doingfairly well. They are thankful for the outpouring of volunteers who donated their plasma even though most weren’t a match. The Family  continues to ask for plasma donation for others and we continue to have zoom prayer meetimgs for them . Please continue to have them and all others affected in your thoughts and prayers.Thank you.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 7:17 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Not to be contradictory because I think we have been on the same page all along, me as an observer and you as someone on board. I think there still would have been the issue in that there would have been a passenger exchange with some disembarking in San Antonio and some embarking there and others on a B2B carrying on their way to San Diego. Or was the ship to cancel operations in San Antonio? That is a proper question because I don't know and I'm not being sarcastic.

The ship wanted to end operations in San Antonio. Do not believe everyone would have been able to debark & get flights home. Some countries had mandatory isolation required. 

• Thanks 1

Latest update on your cruisemates from Miami. The husband who was intubated for so many weeks and on dialysis for kidney failure was  given the plasma transfusion and as they were trying to wean him  off respirator slowly he pulled out his tube and miraculously began breathing on his own!!  And his kidney function is almost normal! He is now out of intensive care in a regular room and on his way hopefully on his way to a full recovery. His wife has tested negative after 14 days and is preparing to donate plasma . Sister in law was just released from hospital and she and her husband are recuperating at home. Family is eternally grateful for the multitude of prayers and the generous plasma Donor. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chuly said:

Latest update on your cruisemates from Miami. The husband who was intubated for so many weeks and on dialysis for kidney failure was  given the plasma transfusion and as they were trying to wean him  off respirator slowly he pulled out his tube and miraculously began breathing on his own!!  And his kidney function is almost normal! He is now out of intensive care in a regular room and on his way hopefully on his way to a full recovery. His wife has tested negative after 14 days and is preparing to donate plasma . Sister in law was just released from hospital and she and her husband are recuperating at home. Family is eternally grateful for the multitude of prayers and the generous plasma Donor. 

Amen..hope the recovery  continues!  Keep us posted.

According to responses on FB there have been 135 passengers who came down with Covid 19. There have been at least 3 deaths. Now an article came out that 67 crew have or had the virus. There are still 9 passengers on board that have the virus. That puts the total over 200 who came down with the virus. That's not bad for a non sick ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FOXTROT said:

According to responses on FB there have been 135 passengers who came down with Covid 19. There have been at least 3 deaths. Now an article came out that 67 crew have or had the virus. There are still 9 passengers on board that have the virus. That puts the total over 200 who came down with the virus. That's not bad for a non sick ship.

Thank you for the updated information.

Do you know how many passengers and crew were on this ship by any chance?

• Like 1