Use of FCV

clojacks

When Viking first cancelled operations in March, my April cruise was, of course, cancelled. When I called to rebook I was told I could not use the FCV for an existing booking. So I rebooked the cancelled cruise for April 2021 and that will be eligible to use the FCV once I receive it. I did have to pay $500 on a credit card to secure the rebooking. The $500 will be refunded when I apply the FCV.

My question is, has anyone received their FCV? I ask because I thought they were supposed to start going out shortly after March 25, but when I called Viking to ask when I might expect to receive no one could provide a timetable. I understand it will take a while to issue these, especially with the most recent cancellations. I'd just like a sense on when the FCV's might be available.

Edited by Alturia

When Viking offered 100% FCV on 3/2, I cancelled 3/6 with the understanding I could use the FCV for my existing December booking. I received the written cancel confirmation 3/7 and the vouchers 3/28. I applied the FCV to my existing December cruise 3/31. Please note the voucher said “new” booking, but I was able to use it. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that future cruise vouchers are for 125% of monies paid on a canceled cruise, and can only be used for new booking. The other option was a check/credit card refund of 100% of monies paid that could then be used to pay off an existing cruise. We had to request the refund, payable within 21 business days, to use to pay the balance on our fall cruise. (Fingers crossed that we will get to sail by October!)

Squawkman,

I know from another thread that you always work with the same Viking agent. I gather that agent pulled some strings for you to be able to just transfer your 100% over to another cruise by way of a voucher. We have used various agents for our trips, and were told that was not possible.

Edited by lackcreativity

And this is kind of what disturbs me about Viking. Different agents can swing different final payment dates. Different agents can pull some strings to use FCV when it "appears" they aren't supposed to be used. So what does a person without a history with a Viking rep or the cruiseline do? I have a cruise coming up later this summer that I suspect will end up cancelled in Europe as the Coronavirus reappears. I currently would like to book a 30 day B2B in Australia for 2022 with there only being a few cabins still available on both cruises...meaning the same cabin of each. BUT, I'd prefer to use 125% FCV onit if my current River booking does end up cancelled.

35 minutes ago, Alturia said:

When Viking first cancelled operations in March, my April cruise was, of course, cancelled. When I called to rebook I was told I could not use the FCV for an existing booking. So I rebooked the cancelled cruise for April 2021 and that will be eligible to use the FCV once I receive it. I did have to pay $500 on a credit card to secure the rebooking. The $500 will be refunded when I apply the FCV.

My question is, has anyone received their FCV? I ask because I thought they were supposed to start going out shortly after March 25, but when I called Viking to ask when I might expect to receive no one could provide a timetable. I understand it will take a while to issue these, especially with the most recent cancellations. I'd just like a sense on when the FCV's might be available.

If the earlier cancellations have not received their FCV yet that's not good for the second batch of cancellations. On another note ----- I rebooked yesterday and was not require to anything to secure the booking.

4 minutes ago, clojacks said:

And this is kind of what disturbs me about Viking. Different agents can swing different final payment dates. Different agents can pull some strings to use FCV when it "appears" they aren't supposed to be used. So what does a person without a history with a Viking rep or the cruiseline do? I have a cruise coming up later this summer that I suspect will end up cancelled in Europe as the Coronavirus reappears. I currently would like to book a 30 day B2B in Australia for 2022 with there only being a few cabins still available on both cruises...meaning the same cabin of each. BUT, I'd prefer to use 125% FCV onit if my current River booking does end up cancelled.

Sounds like the Wild West at Viking. Should there be some standards? Folks getting things that are denied to others is not good for brand loyalty.

I actually received quotes the other day on this B2B and they wanted Final Payment at the end of December of 2020 for a March 2022 cruise, and I said I wasn't interested in booking it then. The agent told me that he would talk to a "Supervisor" and they changed the Final Payment date to end of Aug 2021....this whole dartboard system of quotes, dates, terms, etc is kind of suspect...

2 minutes ago, clojacks said:

I actually received quotes the other day on this B2B and they wanted Final Payment at the end of December of 2020 for a March 2022 cruise, and I said I wasn't interested in booking it then. The agent told me that he would talk to a "Supervisor" and they changed the Final Payment date to end of Aug 2021....this whole dartboard system of quotes, dates, terms, etc is kind of suspect...

"Kind of"?

21 minutes ago, duquephart said:

If the earlier cancellations have not received their FCV yet that's not good for the second batch of cancellations. On another note ----- I rebooked yesterday and was not require to anything to secure the booking.

"required to deposit" anything -----

Sorry.

51 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

When Viking offered 100% FCV on 3/2, I cancelled 3/6 with the understanding I could use the FCV for my existing December booking. I received the written cancel confirmation 3/7 and the vouchers 3/28. I applied the FCV to my existing December cruise 3/31. Please note the voucher said “new” booking, but I was able to use it. 

Thanks for the update. My cancellation was on 3/12 so perhaps they are issuing the FCV's in the order received.

Folks who use independent TAs here on CC have pointed out differences they get in SBC, payment dates, cabin choices, etc. Viking agents are no different. My first Viking cruise was booked directly with a Viking agent by another couple. The guy was horrible, didn’t return calls, left us hanging for a cancelled flight until less than 24 hours before we had to leave, etc. We booked our second cruise directly and took our chances. The guy was great - but he left Viking before the cruise embarked. While on that cruise, I ran into a woman I went to high school with (that was amazing). She recommended the guy we now use. He takes the time to get management approval for things he can’t do on his own. Also, if you get an email offer with a code, he needs that code from you. I always ask if there are any specials, etc. I don’t get automatic SBC that independent TAs offer, so there is a trade off.

A couple things I learned today (by talking to Viking reps) that others may or may not already know.

1. FCV can't be used to purchase Trip Mate insurance on a re-booking. You must pay out of pocket even though you have, or will have, plenty of FCV to cover.

2. Any remaining FCV may be used to settle shipboard accounts. In other words FCV can be used to pay "gratuities", purchase beverages, etc.

Edited by duquephart

48 minutes ago, duquephart said:

A couple things I learned today (by talking to Viking reps) that others may or may not already know.

1. FCV can't be used to purchase Trip Mate insurance on a re-booking. You must pay out of pocket even though you have, or will have, plenty of FCV to cover.

2. Any remaining FCV may be used to settle shipboard accounts. In other words FCV can be used to pay "gratuities", purchase beverages, etc.

Heard the same exact thing from our TA yesterday.  Plus the difference between the earlier 100% FCV (which could be used on existing bookings) and the 125% FCV (which is only good apparently for new bookings).

One more good thing I learned is that the "new booking" if done by April 30, qualifies for Viking's original statement that you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of your cruise for no penalty.

As for Cruise Vouchers themselves, our agent also told us, we don't have to do anything - it is electronic through our TA and is immediately processed on our account with the rebooking.   Since our new fare is almost but not quite 125% of the old fare, we owe nothing now.  And per your point 2, can apply the remaining $$$'s to gratuities, beverages (SSP or just buying drinks), excursions, Viking Air, and more).  

About the only good point was not having to deal with, receive, and process physical vouchers.  At least a bit easier with the instant electronic method.

Edited by CCWineLover

5 hours ago, Alturia said:

Our TA told me that Viking would start issuing FCC the week of April 6.

42 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

About the only good point was not having to deal with, receive, and process physical vouchers.  At least a bit easier with the instant electronic method.

True - I did have to wait for the email vouchers to be issued, but my Viking agent received the voucher numbers as well. 

5 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Heard the same exact thing from our TA yesterday.  Plus the difference between the earlier 100% FCV (which could be used on existing bookings) and the 125% FCV (which is only good apparently for new bookings).

One more good thing I learned is that the "new booking" if done by April 30, qualifies for Viking's original statement that you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of your cruise for no penalty.

As for Cruise Vouchers themselves, our agent also told us, we don't have to do anything - it is electronic through our TA and is immediately processed on our account with the rebooking.   Since our new fare is almost but not quite 125% of the old fare, we owe nothing now.  And per your point 2, can apply the remaining $$$'s to gratuities, beverages (SSP or just buying drinks), excursions, Viking Air, and more).  

What are you doing about insurance? We do wind up owing money (point 1). Throwing "new" money down a potential black hole doesn't set well with me.

3 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Not good that FCCs are only for new bookings. We have two bookings for 2021, too bad we cant apply the FCC. Have no intention of booking more  cruises at this time. So not sure if we will ever use the FCC. 

You can request the refund by check/credit card at 100% and turn around and use that money to pay on your existing cruises. That is what we are doing. We don't get the additional 25%, but Viking is using that as incentive to encourage new bookings, which I certainly understand. 

11 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

You can request the refund by check/credit card at 100% and turn around and use that money to pay on your existing cruises. That is what we are doing. We don't get the additional 25%, but Viking is using that as incentive to encourage new bookings, which I certainly understand. 

That makes a lot of sense as you still get to cancel in 24 hours with no penalty.

5 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

We were given a 50% off the next "new" booking because of an interruption of a cruise we were on. 

Same here and that “voucher” (a number via email) came On 3/26 or 8 business days after we disembarked from our half transatlantic aboard Sky. We have not yet received the promised refund of 3/14s (number of days we purchased but weren’t aboard) of our fare & gratuities, nor the unused refundable OBC from our Travel Agent. We were told those would be paid via check within 12 weeks. 🤞